Knives

AaronS

OK....so what about bringing knives into Oz? I've got quite a few. Some are for sport like my diving knife and some I've just collected. They range from pocket knives to a large Bowie knife (think Crocodile Dundee). Do I need to "rehome" my knives like the pets?

We got an import license from the wa police force, had to send photos and an import application and they issued a license that went with the knives to the shipping company that they give to customs for inspection on landing - its pretty straightforward. We rang wa police and they gave us the email contact for the import of firearms and the forms are available online

Not sure if they'll be allowed in or not - but chances are you'll need a permit for them. Particualarly the big one.

From the website:

Other weapons such as paintball markers, blowpipes, all knives, nunchukas, slingshots, crossbows, electric shock devices and knuckle dusters must also be declared. Some of these items may require a permit, police authorisation and safety testing before importation.

Send them an email and they'll probably let you know, but definitely check before you travel with them or ship them :)

Thanks for even more info....not worth the hassle though. They'll end up sold before we leave. I can buy a new dive knife there (saved my skin a time or two at 110 feet tangled in fishing line). The rest are just stuff I've picked up through the years.

Honestly your dive knife should be fine. You wouldn't think twice about taking your knife alongside all your other scuba gear if going on holiday abroad, this is no different. Just pack it in your checked luggage and declare it as you go through customs.

For info, taken from the South Australia Police website:

These weapons are prohibited weapons:

• Ballistic knives.
  • Catapults, shanghais and slingshots that have a brace.
  • Three different types of chemicals that are often called tear gas, mace and adamsite.
  • Concealed weapons - that is, a thing that appears to be harmless, but which conceals a knife, spike or other weapon. For example, a walking stick that conceals a sword or an object that looks like a lipstick, but which in fact conceals a stiletto or blade.
  • Extendable batons that are extended by gravity, centrifugal force or by release of a button or other device.
  • Fighting knives (ie butterfly knives, daggers, flick knives, push knives, trench knives or other kinds of knives designed or adapted for hand to hand fighting (but not bayonets or swords).
  • Hand or foot claws that are designed as a weapon.
  • Knife belts that conceal or disguise a knife, dagger or similar weapon. An example is a belt of the type known as a Bowen Knife Belt.
  • Knuckle dusters.
  • Morning stars, that is, weapons that consist of a weight, attached to a chain, rope or other flexible material. In some cases the weight has a number of points, spikes or blades.
  • Nunchakus.
  • Pistol cross bows.
  • Star knives that are capable of causing serious injury.
  • Throwing knives that are capable of causing serious injury.
  • Undetectable knives, that is a knife that is capable of causing serious injury and is made of a material that is undetectable by a metal detector or X-ray machine.

Archived