Ethical Dog Food?

JoandJon

Hi all,

Yes it's me again, queen of the strange questions!

In the UK we feed the extremely un-vicious Satchdog on dog food that's fairly ethical (not vegetarian, but no nasty-caged-animal testing!), and I wondered what you guys recommend in Oz?

Before I moved over to the UK I didn't really think about stuff like that, but now it's important to me and I wondered what other people's thoughts are!

Cheers :)

Guest guest37336
Hi all,

Yes it's me again, queen of the strange questions!

In the UK we feed the extremely un-vicious Satchdog on dog food that's fairly ethical (not vegetarian, but no nasty-caged-animal testing!), and I wondered what you guys recommend in Oz?

Before I moved over to the UK I didn't really think about stuff like that, but now it's important to me and I wondered what other people's thoughts are!

Cheers :)

Hi JoandJon.

Have a look at this link, I only know because one of my good ladies mates is involved in the pet industry/green campaigns and seems to know her business.

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm

Hope it helps.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Thanks Tony - great reference site. I'd love the same sort of info for Aussie brands when we get over there if you know of anything for the other side :)

She's currently eating Vitalin dry and Butchers tin, but I'd like to gradually switch her diet over here if possible so it's not too much of a shock. Mind you she'll be in quarantine for a month anyway where I'll have no control over the food they feed.... unless I pay even more money that we can't afford!

Guess there's not much point in trying to switch earlier to minimise the stress on her after all :)

Guest guest37336
Thanks Tony - great reference site. I'd love the same sort of info for Aussie brands when we get over there if you know of anything for the other side :)

She's currently eating Vitalin dry and Butchers tin, but I'd like to gradually switch her diet over here if possible so it's not too much of a shock. Mind you she'll be in quarantine for a month anyway where I'll have no control over the food they feed.... unless I pay even more money that we can't afford!

Guess there's not much point in trying to switch earlier to minimise the stress on her after all :)

No worries matey, I'll ask Joanne as she will defo know about the Australian side of things.

I'd personally go for a raw diet anyways where possible. BARF is the way to go for me (Bones and Raw Food). Easy to do also in terms of not having to read the ingredients labels :)

I feed BARF too, it's excellent, a bit messy, but I know what I'm putting in.

That said, right now both of mine (Mini Schnauzers) are on kibble as my bitch is about to be mated, and though I love feeding BARF, I need to know that I'm giving her everything she needs nutritionally, I couldn't forgive myself for over-feeding protien or missing out on important parts I could otherwise get away, not when she is expecting a litter.

I feed Royal Canin at the moment, they both thrive on it, great skin, coats, weight, etc.

Lol,

My dog isn't so much bothered, i guess it's me that's trying to be ethical - she's a labrador (I guess that says it all really!). I want to avoid using any foods that have been tested on animals in cages etc.

I've found a few brands in my searches that look quite promising, and might actually look into BARF once we're settled. There's quite a few australian companies once you look into it a bit more :)

this thread is great and very interesting , ive struggled with pet food here as its all complete meal as well ... no just dog biscuits ( mixer meal ) i think in the uk .. but they have the usual science plan and other big all in brands etc ( but then we are in Perth and we don't get all the stuff the eastern states do )

Which is fine but my dog is a walking Food magnet and he isn't full enough on the small amounts you have to feed , so we have to bump it up with veggies ..

I also use fresh meat , veggies and Rice a lot for my dog ( which he loves ) and fish and Scrambled eggs ... Which he had for breakfast this am .

this thread is great and very interesting , ive struggled with pet food here as its all complete meal as well ... no just dog biscuits ( mixer meal ) i think in the uk .. but they have the usual science plan and other big all in brands etc ( but then we are in Perth and we don't get all the stuff the eastern states do )

Which is fine but my dog is a walking Food magnet and he isn't full enough on the small amounts you have to feed , so we have to bump it up with veggies ..

I also use fresh meat , veggies and Rice a lot for my dog ( which he loves ) and fish and Scrambled eggs ... Which he had for breakfast this am .

Satch had an almost entire roast chicken this morning, that was SUPPOSED to be shredded for sandwiches. Not even any bones left GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

(It wasn't planned for her to have it, she took t from the bench!)

She seems fine - we couldn't even yell at her because we didn't catch her in the act.

Back from a nice walk around the lake now and she was chasing the ball like a loon as always, so I'm sure she'll be ok :)

** edit **

Should point out that husband (in photo) is trying to get the ball from Satch, not the chicken..

JonSatch_myball_small.jpg

JonSatch_myball_small.jpg

Archived