Mandurah or Mackay?

vixxy666

Hi my partner has been offered a job in Mandurah for 60k + overtime so could be up to 110K based on what the guys are working at the minute, finishing work close to home by 3.30 each day.

However he got a call today regarding work in Mackey they would pay relocation, flights etc and help out with the move, but i hadnt really looked into Queensland so its thrown us the money is probebly closer to 100K not sure of much else as yet but initial where unsure of what the area is like and really liked the look of mandurah and the fact Perths got lots of Brits so a bit of familiarity.

Any opinions would be great

Cheers

Vix

Hi my partner has been offered a job in Mandurah for 60k + overtime so could be up to 110K based on what the guys are working at the minute, finishing work close to home by 3.30 each day.

However he got a call today regarding work in Mackey they would pay relocation, flights etc and help out with the move, but i hadnt really looked into Queensland so its thrown us the money is probebly closer to 100K not sure of much else as yet but initial where unsure of what the area is like and really liked the look of mandurah and the fact Perths got lots of Brits so a bit of familiarity.

Any opinions would be great

Cheers

Vix

G'day mate, depends a great deal on what your lifestyle is; tropical living, or 4 seasons.

Not having been to Mandurah for better than 48 years, I can't comment on the lifestyle now, but it was strictly a holiday/retirement town when I used to go there in the '60s.

Mackay is a progressive, small city, that is rather expensive due to the coal mining boom in the hinterland. Possibly better beaches and hinterland areas to visit.

And the Whitsundays not too far away...

Cheers, Bobj.

hey thanks for your reply. having looked into

mandurah it had what we were looking for with regards to outdoor lifestyle and good restaurants etc but having a look at what i can find on Mackay it looks pretty similar, I guess we'll just have to decide on each jobs merit and see where we land I'm sure we'll love either place and either way it's an adventure :)

last thing I'm an analytical chemist any idea on prospects in related industry in or around Mackay? thanks again :)

Cheers Bob

There's a thriving industry with coal petrography and contamination analysis in Mackay, I don't know if that's something you can do. Google SGS and ALS who both do analysis for heavy metals, pesticides etc. I know one of the ladies from SGS drives out to various minesites and does some form of on-site chemistry in the prep plants (she did tell me about it but we were in a restaurant at the time and the pudding menu got my full attention)

Archived