CostCo

Guest MADTOM

Guest MADTOM

Considering whether to join and pay membership fee $60 - any suggestions?

Am I gonna make recoup the $60 fee and save more in the year?

Depends on what sort of person you are and how you shop/what you shop for I guess - we sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo make back our money in the UK, they have very good deals on clothing and footwear for eg my hubby is getting a brand pair of steel toecap boots for £30 there, that are £50 in other shops - we probably could get them from about £30 online somewhere ( I don't know much about this kind of footwear), but we would have to shop around and he wouldn't be able to try them on, so thats pretty good to us. The books are the latest titles and tend to have a few quid off them too, really really good for children's box sets of books especially (all ages) - I don't know if this is the same in Australia though with the cost of books over there, but it stands to reason it would still be.

In the UK we use them a lot for meat - the price is about the same as the supermarkets, but the quality is far superior, so we use less meat in each meal so it goes further.

They are good for bulk buying things like pasta, ketchup, toliet roll and so on. Their own brand (kirkland) is VERY good - we have used it for things like kitchen pots and pans, and they are one of the few things we are shipping out with us. Tea bags are a bargain - something like £4 for a 1000 pack whereas its that for 100 in Tesco or something - I drink a lot of tea.

You have to know your prices for electricals - sometimes the prices are very good (they had a hair tonger thing in this weekend for £31 - saw it in a magazine yesterday for £50), sometimes the prices aren't so good, so if you are going to buy a laptop or something then you just have to do a little research first (as you probably would anyway though) - we saw a steam iron in there when we were looking for one that was about £10 more than Argos.

The opticians are very good as well imho, picked up something wrong with my eyes that the high street optician didn't.

They're returns policy is second to none as well - you just take the item back, used if need be, and no quibble refunds, no receipt needed (as its stored on your store card).

You can go in on a guest card to have a look around if you want, you just won't be able to buy anything, but can look at what they have and how much it all is. The stock changes all the time though (they have staple stuff all the time, but other things, especially seasonal items, change). The bakery products are divine - especially the muffins - all the counter food is pretty good imho again - we catered our wedding using it (summer garden buffet style) and everyone said how yummy it all was, and it saved us a packet and loads of time. The birthday cakes are great, and so cheap for the size!

As you can tell, basically I'm a huge fan. The only problem imho is we end up spending a few hundred every time we go, so have to limit trips, but we love it and will def be making the trek to Melbourne to stock up when we get there :)

Guest MADTOM

Thank you. May consider it for OH as Fathers day is coming up! He used to love bulk buying in Tesco, whenever I sent him off for shopping he used to come back with 20 bottles of shampoo cos it was on special offer - lols.

I love Costco, but I would say it depends how close you are, when I lived in West Yorkshire, it was half and hour away, so used it monthly, where I live now it's about 11/2 hours away so not worth it when you add on petrol money etc, but the food is good quality

Cal

We do make our fee back in the UK easily BUT I do spend less there now we have a local ALDI!!

As previously said you have to compare prices as some things can be gotten cheaper elsewhere.

EG I used to buy all washing powder tablets and fabric conditioner there in bulk. I now buy at ALDI as it is cheaper AND ALDI own brand tablets are better than Persil (I use just one tablet as opposed to 2 and get better results)

BUT just bought some towels and bedding from Costco as quality/value is superb!

Guest MADTOM

There is a big costco in Docklands, Melbourne so distance shouldn't be a problem but there is no way to look at prices or products online without paying membership fee.

I don't think you can see much online, whether you're a member or not, its just the US site that has loads of info on, the Aussie one looks like the UK one - very skeletal. But if its not far you can look around inside the warehouse without having to join, they will give you a guest pass to go have a look around.

Archived