Canberra rentals

Guest RobnLinda

Guest RobnLinda

We are a family of 4 who will be moving to Canberra in January ( exact date to be confirmed as we havent booked our flights yet). My husband will be coming out for a week in early November to finalise some professional registration details which he has to do in person ( and this will hopefully make things smoother and quicker so he can get working in January.

Does anybody know if we would be likely to be able to secure a long term rental in November for January?? We would be prepared to send our furniture in advance of ourselves and camp out in our house at present I suspect on loaned campbeds etc

Linda

He could try! In fact, if I were him, I would be trying but it is a terrible time of year to be trying to get anything. You might have to revise your expectations one way or another just to get something - he will be competing with new transfers into the PS in November/December and then in January/February you will be competing with students so either book a long holiday rental (if you can get one in January which is peak holiday time) or be prepared to take whatever you can get wherever you can get it. However be prepared to pay bond up front and rent from November to secure it. He should bring with him a real estate pack - references from past landlords/mortgage providers, evidence of job, character references, etc

Check out http://www.allhomes.com.au and try and get a feel for the type of place you want in the rough vicinity of where you will want to be living (where will you be working?)

Guest RobnLinda
He could try! In fact, if I were him, I would be trying but it is a terrible time of year to be trying to get anything. You might have to revise your expectations one way or another just to get something - he will be competing with new transfers into the PS in November/December and then in January/February you will be competing with students so either book a long holiday rental (if you can get one in January which is peak holiday time) or be prepared to take whatever you can get wherever you can get it. However be prepared to pay bond up front and rent from November to secure it. He should bring with him a real estate pack - references from past landlords/mortgage providers, evidence of job, character references, etc

Check out http://www.allhomes.com.au and try and get a feel for the type of place you want in the rough vicinity of where you will want to be living (where will you be working?)

Thanks very much for that. I know it is a bad time of year but that's life! When we watched Phil Spencer's Relcaction Down Under Canberra episode, the family featured did mention that they spent some time in a camper van as they couldn't find a rental so I am already thinking laterally........!

Linda

Guest RobnLinda

Sorry would add we ideally want to live in the Garran area. Husband will be working in Fisher. Kids hopefully going to school around that area too. We know we are up against it!

Linda

Sorry would add we ideally want to live in the Garran area. Husband will be working in Fisher. Kids hopefully going to school around that area too. We know we are up against it!

Linda

You never know though, you might just be one of the lucky ones! With Garran and Hughes, check out that you arent on the helicopter pathway to the hospital - I have a "friend" who lives in Garran and she never stops whingeing about the helicopters (she'd be the first to demand one if she got into trouble though!!!). Good luck!

Have a look at these posts off "the-riotact.com" its worth a look on there if your coming to Canberra anyway,

http://the-riotact.com/best-months-to-look-for-a-place-to-rent-in-canberra/52560

and

http://the-riotact.com/tips-for-getting-into-a-rental-property-in-canberra/37570

It was very intense trying to get a home in Feb10 for us, we treated it as a full time job viewing & applying and it still took 4 weeks (doesn't seem long when I type it - but it was a very difficult start),

You may be better off booking a month in short term accomodation than paying for rent from November & leaving it empty, it will be a good idea to at least make a few contacts with the real estate agents in November though. Put heating at the top of your list as well - you won't believe how cold it gets in winter here.

Archived