Fumigation at Customs??

Guest myboysjam

Guest myboysjam

Hi, I am in the process of getting quotes from shipping companies, I was speaking to one today and he told me that in 90% of cases the shipment is fumigated for which you are charged, however he couldnt give me a rough price for this.

Has anyone experienced this and what sort of price is it??

Thanks

Valerie :chatterbox:

Hi, I am in the process of getting quotes from shipping companies, I was speaking to one today and he told me that in 90% of cases the shipment is fumigated for which you are charged, however he couldnt give me a rough price for this.

Has anyone experienced this and what sort of price is it??

Thanks

Valerie :chatterbox:

I think he was talking out of his bum - they only fumigate if you have a 'dodgy but not so dodgy it definitely isn't allowed in the country' item - and if your shipping company is any good, they will tell you what not to take.

The AQIS is the 'normal' processing charge for them opening up a couple of boxes to have a look at whats in them. The fumigation, if they have to do it, I believe is done on the size of the item, so a wicker chair, for eg, would maybe be about £70 (in GBP) from what I have heard, with it being less for something small, and more for something big. That is just hearsay though, so could be totally wrong.

As long as you make sure a) you don't take anything from the banned list (well, if its completely on the banned list it just won't be let in, but from the dodgy list maybe - ie wicker etc) b) if you do take it, make sure it all smells of jeyes fluid c) if you are taking a wooden item that has had woodworm in the past get it treated yourself from an accredited fumigator and include the paperwork

Maybe he meant in 90% of cases you are inspected, which sounds about right (if not a little high from what everyone I have spoken to has said), which is the AQIS charge.

Guest gavnicjacflo
I think he was talking out of his bum - they only fumigate if you have a 'dodgy but not so dodgy it definitely isn't allowed in the country' item - and if your shipping company is any good, they will tell you what not to take.

The AQIS is the 'normal' processing charge for them opening up a couple of boxes to have a look at whats in them. The fumigation, if they have to do it, I believe is done on the size of the item, so a wicker chair, for eg, would maybe be about £70 (in GBP) from what I have heard, with it being less for something small, and more for something big. That is just hearsay though, so could be totally wrong.

As long as you make sure a) you don't take anything from the banned list (well, if its completely on the banned list it just won't be let in, but from the dodgy list maybe - ie wicker etc) b) if you do take it, make sure it all smells of jeyes fluid c) if you are taking a wooden item that has had woodworm in the past get it treated yourself from an accredited fumigator and include the paperwork

Maybe he meant in 90% of cases you are inspected, which sounds about right (if not a little high from what everyone I have spoken to has said), which is the AQIS charge.

Can anyone tell me where you can get a copy of which items are banned and which need special treatment.

Can anyone tell me where you can get a copy of which items are banned and which need special treatment.

All the info on all the different bits and bobs to do with importing things is on here:

http://daff.gov.au/aqis

(We got given loads of print outs from removals companies when they came to quote as well, and picked up stuff at Australia Expos we have been to).

If you do a google search for AQIS Icon database you can get really detailed information (it will do your head in, but if you have a specific item you're curious about it can be very very helpful - eventually - once you translate it from AQIS-speak!)

Hi Guys.

Just wondered if anyone knows whether pets ashes are allowed into Oz. Our beloved retriever passed away 3 years ago, couldn't bare to bury him in the garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or leave him at the vets. Sooooooooooooooooo, had him cremated (even got a certificate to let us know he had been 'lovingly' cremated) (how can anyone be lovingly cremated). Anyway he is in a small sealed casked which is wooden.

Can't seem to find any info on this matter so wondered if anyone could enlighten me.

Ps.... Fab sight.... I can see myself getting on everyones nerves on here. Only just at the beginning of the process, hubby waiting to take IELTS exam :wideeyed:, glad its not me.

Thanks everyone. :hug: x

I'm sure there were some posts about this a while ago - and I'm also almost certain that the ashes themselves are fine. The only possible worry is the type of container they're stored in.

Hopefully someone else can remember more! If you're worried you can always email AQIS and ask...

Agree with JoandJon, there were a few threads on this a while back (I remember thinking it was curious that they wouldn't allow xyz in, but would ashes - but then I guess ashes have been super heated and therefore anything that could have been alive in there has been eradicated?)

Anyways if you do a search for it you should be able to find the threads :) Good luck :)

Archived