Sponsoring family

Guest ARNOULD1

Guest ARNOULD1

Hi all

I am an Aussie citizen and want to sponsor our nephew. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in sponsoring step family, our nephew is not my brother in laws biological father but has been his dad since he was 6 months old. My brother in law and his partner have never married and I wondered if my nephew would still be eligible to be sponsored as our step nephew as they have been in a de facto relationship for 21 years or if the fact that his mother and step father never married would make a difference? Any advice gratefully received. Cheers

Guest ARNOULD1

[quote=:dull:our nephew is not my brother in laws biological father but has been his dad since he was 6 months

I meant my brother in law is not my nephews biological father lol :goofy:

Guest ARNOULD1

My husbands brother ( my brother in law) is the step dad therefore he is my nephew by marriage. The point I was trying to address was the fact that my brother inlaw is not his biological father and did not adopt him therefore we have no birth or adoption certificates to use as evidence however we could get documents which demonstrate he has been brought up as a member of our family. I understand he needs to be on the skills list I just wanted to know if anyone else had experience with a step relation from a de facto relationship.....

Guest ARNOULD1

Thanks for links, when we applied it was pretty straight forward and we had a pr within 3 months of applying....guess we were lucky!

It doesn't matter whether biological or step-family all they ask for is marriage certs to prove he is your nephew either by blood or law. Only prob is, im sure they have now scrapped family sponsor as of 1st July 2011. You need to check that on DIACs website.

If they do still let family sponsor, he needs to have the right amount of points i.e. 65. Its actually easier for him to get 176 state sponsor anyway.

Hope that helps.

Archived