Townsville Social Meet & Advice

Hi

We have been in Townsville for two months now and have just settled in and gone through all the ups and downs of relocating from the UK. Now its all behind us and we are just enjoying the beautiful weather and relaxed lifestyle....! This place really is amazing !!

We wanted to help other people going through this or similar and are happy to answer any questions you might have in regards to pre move or post arrival. Believe me we have learnt loads and could save you some time.

If you are unsure on areas then we could also help you out with this, as we looked at most and also traveled around Townsville loads so we'll give you a great insight and unbiased opinion.

We have two children, one who is at school age the other only 14 months old so can give you schooling advice etc.

We are also looking to set up a social meet for new family's to Townsville , one Saturday a month a coffee and maybe a BBQ down the Strand where you could meet people new to Townsville or regular goers to just chat and help you settle. Who knows, hopefully your meet some good friends.

We are both in our 30s with kids. I work in the city and My wife looks after our baby but will look for some part time work soon. We are a typical, normal working family and just looking to meet as many people as we can to get the best from this experience. We have family here so have already met their friends & family. We are just hoping to help others and make some new friends along the way. PM me if you are interested or want any advice. Once i get a little interest i will set a date. maybe mid September....

speak soon

James & Louise & Family

Guest tandcmum

HI James and Lousie

We are not going to be moving over till sometime after xmas, possibly about March time but are definatly up for keeping in touch with people out there and coming to a meet up once we are there. We are me and hubby and 2 kids who are 9 (son) and 7 (daughter), I work as a nurse and will be working at the Mater, hubby not sure what he is going to do yet. We are really looking forward to moving over but it seems so far away yet

Hi there

After xmas is the hottest time here but march will be starting to get really nice again. Stay in touch and we will help you with any questions you might have and will meet you when you get here.

What does your husband do in the uk ? I work for a recruitment agency so might be able to help;

good luck with all the planning

Guest tandcmum
Hi there

After xmas is the hottest time here but march will be starting to get really nice again. Stay in touch and we will help you with any questions you might have and will meet you when you get here.

What does your husband do in the uk ? I work for a recruitment agency so might be able to help;

good luck with all the planning

Thanks I'll PM you x

• 1 month later...

Hi James and Louise...we have just arrived in Townsville...been here for 1 week so still finding our feet...I am here on a 457 visa...have a job at Townsville hospital as a midwife...start work on Monday...my two older sons and my husband are looking for work...we have just got our bank cards, medicare cards, sim cards for phones and bought a car...soooooo much in one week lol....we are staying in an appartment in Douglas which has been supplied by my work for two months so are also looking for a rental....I have a 13 year old and we are trying to sort out the best schools here...we have looked into Kirwan public school and Ryan Catholic College which is private...do you have any info about schools around this area as it is clolse to the hospital...any advice welcome

Trace

Hi James and Louise...we have just arrived in Townsville...been here for 1 week so still finding our feet...I am here on a 457 visa...have a job at Townsville hospital as a midwife...start work on Monday...my two older sons and my husband are looking for work...we have just got our bank cards, medicare cards, sim cards for phones and bought a car...soooooo much in one week lol....we are staying in an appartment in Douglas which has been supplied by my work for two months so are also looking for a rental....I have a 13 year old and we are trying to sort out the best schools here...we have looked into Kirwan public school and Ryan Catholic College which is private...do you have any info about schools around this area as it is clolse to the hospital...any advice welcome

Trace

Hey trace

welcome to townsville.

we managed to get our 14year old into pimlico high. great school and best state school in townsville. ryan is also very good and mu cousin is a maths teacher there,but you pay a little. on my phone and apain to write!!!

Ill email you tomorrow to talk more.

James

Hey trace

welcome to townsville.

we managed to get our 14year old into pimlico high. great school and best state school in townsville. ryan is also very good and mu cousin is a maths teacher there,but you pay a little. on my phone and apain to write!!!

Ill email you tomorrow to talk more.

James

Hiya James

We have been to Pimlico School as I had researched schools a bit before we arrived...has a great reputation but they will only accept Nathan if we are in the catchment area now which we are not, or if he has A's across the board...he is very intelligent and does well at school but am not sure if this will be good enough...usually gets level 5's 6's and 7's in the Uk but am not sure how these compare to grades at Pimlico...have been driving around today househunting which has been great...is the next big thing we have to do apart from me starting work on Monday and Neal and the boys finding work...Neal has applied for a few jobs already so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Look forward to hearing from you again

Trace

Hi again James

We have an interview for Nathan for Ryan Catholic College on Tuesday so fingers crossed he will get in there....have heard it has a good reputation..Neal has a job already...is a driving job...not great money but at least we have something coming in now and he can still keep looking to see if anything else comes up...I was working at the hospital but unfortunately my registration as a midwife has not gone through properly and I have to wait until it is sorted...is just the boys to sort out now...they are 20 and are still looking for work...they will do anything really but dont have a lot of experience...they are here on a working holiday visa at the moment but we were just looking at apprenticeships for them for when their visas run out...am not sure if there are any labouring job such as a tilers mate etc going...we keep looking but if you can give us some advice would be great...

Thanks Trace

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Have just joined the forum!

We are in Annandale, Townsville, Myself(45) Husband(46), daughter(19) and son(12) and love it! Son due to start at William Ross State High in January.

Would love to come to any meet ups that are arranged.

Guest steff4mCork

hey !!

im stephanie, i live in Ireland but will be in Townsville ( fingers crossed ) before Christmas !

I am waiting on my 457 visa to come through

my hubby is in Townsville already. Me and our two children will follow him out soon.

would love to meet and chat with you all x

• 1 month later...
Guest martin and leah
Hi

Have just joined the forum!

We are in Annandale, Townsville, Myself(45) Husband(46), daughter(19) and son(12) and love it! Son due to start at William Ross State High in January.

Would love to come to any meet ups that are arranged.

hi lce me and my girlfriend moving to annandale in january what you make of the area so far is it ideally situated. are you enjoying your time out there up to now

Hi Martin and Leah

Good luck with your move to Townsville. Annandale is a great suburb, very quiet with plenty of local shops, great sports facilities and lovely walking and cycling paths along the river. It's only a 10 minute drive into the City and to 3 shopping centres - Castletown, Stockland and Willows. Townsville is beautiful, i'm sure you will love it! Just ask if there's anything you want to know.