moving to Melbourne 12 october

yazzee

Hello everyone - My husband, myself and 7 year daughter are emigrating to Melbourne October 12th. Our situation is a little different to some posts because we do not have jobs to go to. Quite a few people appear to have jobs already lined up so this is quite daunting for us. My husband is a flexographic printer and has been made redundant here in the UK. I work part time in a pre-school and when we are settled I will be looking for similar work.

Having said that my husband will be looking immediately and him finding a job is a priority.

We are letting our house here and have limited funds to get us settled. Does it all sound very crazy? We are both in our forties and feel that our life needs a big change and hopefully it will be for the best.

:v_SPIN:

Hi Yazzee - we're also moving around October - really looking forward to it.

It's a daunting experience, but sometimes its good to make that life change.

There is a thread in the Victoria forum for others moving this year which is good for getting in touch with people and advice.

Not sure what a flexographic printer is but hope your husband find work soon x

Hi,

My husband's a label printer in Exeter and there is not much happening here. Luckily I have dual nationality (a long story) so I am his sponsor and he is positive he will find work......

We will check out the Victoria forum and thanks for the info.

dont worry too much, your not the only one who has no jobs coming over, we arrived last year and neither of us had jobs to come to. its all worked out for us so far - we are both working and loving aussie life.

best of luck with everything

dont worry too much, your not the only one who has no jobs coming over, we arrived last year and neither of us had jobs to come to. its all worked out for us so far - we are both working and loving aussie life.

best of luck with everything

Just woke up to your thread. Many thanks for your reassurance, it's always good to hear.

Welcome to PIO !!!!

Which part of Melbourne are you heading to ??

Lynne x

Hi,

Thanks Lynne. We are waiting confirmation about a unit in Box Hill that will give us somewhere to stay for a few weeks. Like most people it is quite difficult to find furnished accommodation from this end. Then it will depend on where my husband manages to secure a job. After some researching there appears to be some areas that we would not like to live - but that can sometimes just be a matter of different opinions!

Are you in the UK or in Melbourne? We think you are in the UK if so where do you plan on heading and when?

Anthea

Hi,

Thanks Lynne. We are waiting confirmation about a unit in Box Hill that will give us somewhere to stay for a few weeks. Like most people it is quite difficult to find furnished accommodation from this end. Then it will depend on where my husband manages to secure a job. After some researching there appears to be some areas that we would not like to live - but that can sometimes just be a matter of different opinions!

Are you in the UK or in Melbourne? We think you are in the UK if so where do you plan on heading and when?

Anthea

Yes, I am still in the UK...more the pitty !! My husband has a job in a Body shop in Bentleigh East, at the moment we are looking a various areas...Berwick, Cranbourne, Frankstone and surrounding areas.

It's hard to tell what the areas are like to be honest as you only see the house and not the rest of the area.

His future employer has arranged a corporate let for us for 4 weeks and a hire care for one week so we can have a search for the right area.

I'm hoping the visa will be through soon as we have to be out of our UK rental by the 9th Sept and we are looking at moving to OZ around the 19th as the flights are cheaper then !!.

Lynne x

Guest julietarz

Hi Yazzee

Our situation is very similar to yours. We are both in our 40s, have 2 children-daughter aged 12 and son aged 10 and neither of us have jobs as yet either. I too work in a pre-school and we arrive in Melbourne on 30th October.

We are looking at the Frankson South, Bonbeach and sandhurst areas and are staying in Mornington for our first 6 weeks.

Although I am the main visa applicant my husband is the main earner so we really need him to find a job.

We heard today that we have exchanged contracts on our house which is a relief so things are moving on now.

Good luck with everything and I hope you find jobs soon.

Tara

Hi Yazzee

Our situation is very similar to yours. We are both in our 40s, have 2 children-daughter aged 12 and son aged 10 and neither of us have jobs as yet either. I too work in a pre-school and we arrive in Melbourne on 30th October.

We are looking at the Frankson South, Bonbeach and sandhurst areas and are staying in Mornington for our first 6 weeks.

Although I am the main visa applicant my husband is the main earner so we really need him to find a job.

We heard today that we have exchanged contracts on our house which is a relief so things are moving on now.

Good luck with everything and I hope you find jobs soon.

Tara

Hi again,

It's good to hear that other families are in the same boat as us 'jobless'and 'homeless', got to have a sense of humour at times like this so they say - that's why I had to get some pills from the Doctor.

Good news today, we have 3 weeks accommodation in Box Hill fortunately I love asian cooking.

We are letting our house and yesterday the 'to let' sign went up which is quite weird. At the moment every day is busy. One of my priorities is ensuring my daughter has lots of fun over the summer holidays. Luckily my friends and family are taking her out for day trips whilst I spend time sorting out what is being shipped and what is being taken to the charity shops and sold.

We have the shipping company arriving 26 september not long now, (PSS hope they are good).

Good luck everyone - keep in touch

Anthea x

Hi again,

It's good to hear that other families are in the same boat as us 'jobless'and 'homeless', got to have a sense of humour at times like this so they say - that's why I had to get some pills from the Doctor.

Good news today, we have 3 weeks accommodation in Box Hill fortunately I love asian cooking.

We are letting our house and yesterday the 'to let' sign went up which is quite weird. At the moment every day is busy. One of my priorities is ensuring my daughter has lots of fun over the summer holidays. Luckily my friends and family are taking her out for day trips whilst I spend time sorting out what is being shipped and what is being taken to the charity shops and sold.

We have the shipping company arriving 26 september not long now, (PSS hope they are good).

Good luck everyone - keep in touch

Anthea x

Well best of luck Anthea, and try enjoy your time before you go too. it goes so quick. make sure you spend your time with the people that you want to.....all the little things will fall into place so dont worry about them too much.

Louise.

Hi Anthea,

Box Hill is nice and central for public transport - but more importantly it's central for YUM CHA!!!!!

Embrace Yum Cha :)

Yum Cha is your friend :)

And Dumpling King!! oh yes, Box Hill is good :)

And Indochine.... mmmmmm

Oh dear, i'm hungry now aren't I.

I'm sure you'll find jobs once you're out there, just enjoy the Yum Cha until you do!

Guest wayward

We are also moving over in Oct to Victoria with no jobs to go to. Will try and be open minded about work and just see what comes up, even if its something totally different to what we are used to.

I think it is more important to find an area that you want to live in, then the rest will follow with a bit of luck.

Archived