Rental advice...how much pw?

chris2011

Dear all,

We have made it to Perth 2 weeks ago and are now currently house hunting (rental).

We are however a little unsure what our top budget pw should be as we are unfamiliar with day to day living costs and utility charges.

We want to live the dream for the first year in a house with a pool (we have young kids so don't spend much going out so the house will be our little luxury) so are not looking to save just break even.

My partners wage is $80K plus super. We will have no transport costs (buying car outright and partner commuting by bike) except petrol. As for food shopping there will be four of us (2 adults a 4 year old and a 1 year old).

The only other outgoings will be for entertainment.

Our current top budget is $700pw.... to much?

Your advice gratefully received.

Thanks for reading!

80k plus super, that would leave you with 71k average after. And maybe after tax, it would be 55k? Our rent is 550pw (amounts to about 2300 a month). I earn almost the same as your partner, so basically close to 50% of his earnings are going to the rent, a bit high in my opinion. Are you working? If not, then i personally feel it's too high!

We are in MEL and it's just the two of us but my partner earns 80k too. I am still looking for work so we rely on his income alone.

-We pay 375pw for a two-bed flat near the city which is not fancy but perfectly sized for us.

-We buy food at ALDI and spend around a $100pw at maximum, we don't buy alcohol or cigarettes.

-We don't do much entertainment due to the high cost of living round here but we read a lot and have TV (which we never had before).

-We pay $60 for naked broadband as we don't need a land line.

-We pay almost $500 for health cover due to me being a German.

-Energy, gas and water - we don't know yet how much.

-We use pre-paid mobiles as we only call each other (most often).

Ergo: All in all we do live quite ok with that kind of wage, maybe because we don't live a luxurious life. At the end of the month we are even able to save some money which will come in handy for flights home, or some special medical treatment (you never know) and such like.

I am not sure, however, if 80k will be enough for a more luxurious house plus food and all the other costs.

But maybe I am wrong.

Guest gail2010

Yeah 700 weekly is way too high, you will find things quite expensive food nappies etc and you will have other bills electric gas etc!! You will get a decent house for less. Look on realestate.com.au depends where you want to stay and where your partner is going to work. Ask away if you want advice on locations! We are in canning vale we struggled to get a decent house when we moved we wanted a pool but the way they rent here so diff you have to put in an application and wait to hear. Im desp to move somewhere with a pool but we are tied in for another 6months, make sure you find a house, location and condition you want as a year a long time!!

Guest edwardsfamily

we rent a 4x2 with a pool for $480 per week. Hubby earns less than you but i work too. We also have 2 young children.

where are you looking to rent?

Hiya, We are heading to Perth on the 30th on a 457 so can't really help with the rental advice yet, but we have a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old too. If you are looking for some playmates let me know! I am still at the stage of looking for the short term rental that won't bankrupt us!

Congrats on the visa and your upcoming move.

Playmates sounds like a great idea! Drop me a line when you've arrived.

Still in a quandary about renting. Found the perfect house, perfect location, perfect commute for my partner, etc etc.... just an imperfect rent!!!!

Hiya, We are heading to Perth on the 30th on a 457 so can't really help with the rental advice yet, but we have a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old too. If you are looking for some playmates let me know! I am still at the stage of looking for the short term rental that won't bankrupt us!

Thanks Piglet. My partner's wage is with super on top so if I've got this correct his gross take home pay is 80kpa... so we have a little more to play with but not much. I used this calculator http://www.paycalculator.com.au/... hope its accurate.

I'm not working at the moment although for the house we've just found I'd happily work a couple of days to make up any shortfall plus its a good way to meet people.

After a little more research last night it looks like we will also get a family rebate type payment as PR's which i think works out at additional $125pw. Once again I'm not entirely sure if that applies to us so woudl appreciate any advice if you or anyone else knows anything to contrary.

80k plus super, that would leave you with 71k average after. And maybe after tax, it would be 55k? Our rent is 550pw (amounts to about 2300 a month). I earn almost the same as your partner, so basically close to 50% of his earnings are going to the rent, a bit high in my opinion. Are you working? If not, then i personally feel it's too high!

we rent a 4x2 with a pool for $480 per week. Hubby earns less than you but i work too. We also have 2 young children.

where are you looking to rent?

Hi,

We're looking to rent in the North within cycling commuting distance to the CBD.

Guest JonnyNI
My partner's wage is with super on top so if I've got this correct his gross take home pay is 80kpa... so we have a little more to play with but not much. I used this calculator http://www.paycalculator.com.au/... hope its accurate.

I'm not working at the moment although for the house we've just found I'd happily work a couple of days to make up any shortfall plus its a good way to meet people.

After a little more research last night it looks like we will also get a family rebate type payment as PR's which i think works out at additional $125pw. Once again I'm not entirely sure if that applies to us so woudl appreciate any advice if you or anyone else knows anything to contrary.

Surely if your OH's salary is $80k plus super he will be taking home $61.1k pa.... Not sure about the $125 of a rebate but that equates to a total of $6500pa. Add this to your take home pay and you've got $67,600pa total.

If you then spend $700pw on rent that is a total of $36,400pa ie. 53.8% of your take home pay... I'm not sure that level of rent is sustainable but that's just my opinion - I hope this has been of some help.

Jonny

Archived