Guest melarif

Guest melarif

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me... i was born in the England and lived there until i was 11. I then moved to Australia with my Mum, Dad and Brother. Now i am 24 and we moved back to the UK few months ago. Everything is great and we all love it. The only problem i am having is that i want to attend university but am apparently not classed as a "ordinary resident" of the UK until i have spend three years here and am therefore classed as a international student and cant recieve any Student finance loans or assistance.

it would be imposible for me to pay international student fee.

My parants have brought a house here and my dad has a job here. its not like we are going to leave half way through my studies or anything. England is home again!

Does anyone have any information on this topic?

Stressing a bit!!!!

Cheers

Sadly that is the way it is. You havent been resident in UK for the 3 years before you want to start your degree so it is International fees or nothing unfortunately. A lot of families get caught that way after they have moved to Australia but then decide to go back, citizens or not.

The only way you might get around it is to demonstrate that you went overseas with a parent on a placement which was a temporary placement and they are now back to their usual position but it doesnt look like that is an option for you.

Guest zoolisa

Try the open university in the meantime- you can study and work at same time and is way cheaper. After 3 years you could still go to fulltime uni, but I would recommend you move to Scotland!!!

Try the open university in the meantime- you can study and work at same time and is way cheaper. After 3 years you could still go to fulltime uni, but I would recommend you move to Scotland!!!

You cant just move to Scotland to receive Free Education!!

"We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full-time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere."

Residency Conditions are on SAAS

Quoll is right. While you may be a citizen you've not lived here in the qualifying period and so don't meet their requirements. Might be crappy but its the way it is. There are reasons they require this, its not just you they are singling out.

IIRC its the same for Aussies moving back to Aus after living outside of the country for X amount of years. And I think its standard for a fair number of other countries.

As has been suggested, the Open University is a good place to start in the meantime.

Archived