Help-shippers insist they need to load in rain

LYNDAMUMFORD

Before I loos the will to leave, can someone, anyone offer me some words of advice. Have the shippers here & container is due to arrive at 12 - its hammering down with rain, the lads packing dont want top pack it & I dont want it packed from house to container as it will get damp/wet then mildew then insurance claim other side. May not even be a valid claim as it will be my fault for ok'ing to load in rain

shippers say if I refuse then I must absorb additional costs, container here overnight & new crew of guys coming in tomorrow am - this is stated in their terms & conditions and they cant see why the packers cant just put cloth covers over each box (if only rain was vertical!!)

Not to mention that I have excess of 200 cubic feet (appros £1000 to ship later by shared container) & lads not being able to get stuff from loft as its not boarded out.

Help.....:arghh:

Guest The Pom Queen

Umm with the weather in the UK it may be some time before you get a fine day lol x

Are they not wrapping everything? How close to the house can they get? It may be a good idea for someone to try and dry things off once it's in the van.

Guest Guest16631

...............a few tips...................hope they help good luck.............If you do not have a clean path between the moving truck and your front door,......................... consider laying an inexpensive runner carpet from your door to the moving truck....................to avoid tracking in excess mud or other wet debris into the house..............................place cardboard at entrances to further protect the house..............................and using two crews, a dry one in the house and a wet one running the furniture.

If you're stuff is already wrapped then it should be ok - make sure you get clarification from insurance that you'll be covered for mildew though.

You could set up a gazebo/umbrellas to minimise the rain impact? Unless they're all packed of course!!

Good luck

How about using those moisture absorbers you can get in the supermarket, they're called Hungry Hippo's here in Oz, they work very well in humid climates by absorbing the moisture. Not sure how effective they would be in a shipping container.

It absolutely poured down with rain on the day that our container was loaded and we just let them get on with it. We didn't have a single problem with mildew or dampness in our goods when they were delivered in Brisbane 3 months later either.

Hope it hasn't been too stressful.

Archived