Really wish I had taken more.....

Guest ConfusedPoms!

Guest ConfusedPoms!

Hi Guys, Just packing up our boxes ready for our move to Oz in 10 days!!!!!!

Was just wondering if there is anything anyone wishes they had taken with them.....We have an empty box and need to fill it!! I have read on here about bedding being really expensive in Oz and people taking this over from the UK but is there anything else...???

Also is it worth stocking up on toilettries, as we have the space and can these be shipped?? (ie will we have to pay tax that end?) I remember toilettries being a lot more expensive when we were last out there...

Any advice greatly appreciated, don't wanna get out there and think oh wish we had got this and that from the UK before we left!!

Thanks everyone :cute:

Hi I would like to know too as the packers come in 2 weeks ! i have bought extra bedding think im gonna get couple of the memory foam mattresses as they aree vac packed in the shop, i was told by the shippers i cant bring any of my cane furniture wondering if i should buy a extra sofa here.

Hope you arrive safe and well and keep us posted on how things go, we looking into rockingham where are you going ?

cheers tracy

Guest mikewheble

Get clothes shopping. My son lives in Sydney and he says clothes are really expensive and the last time he came back to the UK, he loved Primark (we call it Primani). Stock up on shorts, tee shirts etc :-)

i wish I had fetched more trainers for the kids. We're used to paying peanuts for them from sports direct, that was very near where we lived.

To walk into a shop and buy a brand such as NIKE football style trainers we were lookin at about $80, whereas at sports direct you could get a pair for about £20.

Like most items over here if you shop- about you can find them cheaper, but one of the kids came home from school yesterday with his toes hanging out, so we had to get some quick.

I also wish I'd put some more of my favourite coffee in the container ( Douwe Egberts Pure Gold ) It was on special offer at Morrisons, 2 for £6 and I only bought 4, I'm down to my last jar.:cry:

Chris x

Even though i did bring a huge supply of medication and toiletries ,i wish i had brought more Calpol as my daughter wont take the equivalent here and i also wish i had brought some Buttercup Syrup (which i now have thanks to Proview bringing me some when he came on his reccie).

At first i found clothes and shoes diabloical compared to what we were used to ,But TBH when you look around you can find equivalents at very reasonable costs and you do 'get used' to stockpiling when the sales are on.

Cal x

Hi

bedding, clothes, towels, tablecloths, soft furnishings in general, shoes, trainers, bras, books...........

Things are starting to get more reasonably priced out here but remember there is very little competition and the shops here have to import everything and if from Europe at considerable cost. Also they don't hold the stock that we are used to in the UK so putting things on order is a whole new ball game and there is no Argos!!!!!! LOL X

i wish I had fetched more trainers for the kids. We're used to paying peanuts for them from sports direct, that was very near where we lived.

To walk into a shop and buy a brand such as NIKE football style trainers we were lookin at about $80, whereas at sports direct you could get a pair for about £20.

Like most items over here if you shop- about you can find them cheaper, but one of the kids came home from school yesterday with his toes hanging out, so we had to get some quick.

I also wish I'd put some more of my favourite coffee in the container ( Douwe Egberts Pure Gold ) It was on special offer at Morrisons, 2 for £6 and I only bought 4, I'm down to my last jar.:cry:

Chris x

Sorry to go off-topic a little bit, but if you're missing douwe Egberts try looking for Moccona coffee instead - I'm fairly sure it's the same thing and you get brilliant glass storage jars!!!

My husband says you should buy a guitar or two and ship it across..... but then again he's a little obsessed!

if you're missing douwe Egberts try looking for Moccona coffee instead - I'm fairly sure it's the same thing and you get brilliant glass storage jars!!!

Yes, Moccona is made by Douwe Egberts and sold in the big supermarkets - Coles, Woolies etc. There are about 8 varieties. The one named by Crispysince70 doesn't ring a bell but it may be called something different here.

We haven't left yet or even started packing but a friend of mine already in Aust says (when asked the same question) underwear and Bisto Gravy. Another thing to consider if you don't make from scratch is bread sauce sachets

Hi i have the packers comming soon a few of you say about food/toiletries items are they allowed asthe chap said nothing at all is allowed or do i just try and get them to be vauge in the discription !?

cheers tracy

Be very careful with food - i think its not usually worth it!

If it's unopened packets then maybe, but even then remember it's going to be weeks and weeks and weeks.....

Maybe some DVD's (if you're also taking a DVD player, or getting a multi-zone out there) and nice coffee-table books from UK to show new friends where you're from?

** Edit **

Some food can be allowed according to the AQIS website, but it can be risky :)

Guest ConfusedPoms!
Even though i did bring a huge supply of medication and toiletries

Hi Cal,

So we are all ok to bring a load of brand new toilettries in our shipped boxes?? (everything seems to be on offer in the UK for 99p so thinking I should take advantage and get stocked up, lol) :wink:

Guest siamsusie

I brought over boxes of toiletries, I just happened to be a buy 1 , get 1 free loony.

No aerosols permitted though.

It all adds up and I am using some some 5 years down the line.

Susie x

Guest ConfusedPoms!
I brought over boxes of toiletries, I just happened to be a buy 1 , get 1 free loony.

No aerosols permitted though.

It all adds up and I am using some some 5 years down the line.

Susie x

Thanks Susie, I will get out spending then, toilettries are dirt cheap in the UK so might as well make the most of my extra box!! So no aerosols at all in shipping boxes??? Is there anything else you know of not allowed....??

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie, I will get out spending then, toilettries are dirt cheap in the UK so might as well make the most of my extra box!! So no aerosols at all in shipping boxes??? Is there anything else you know of not allowed....??

Oh just the usual contraband... no pot pourri items etc etc no dangerous chemicals. No aerosols at all permitted of any nature in the boxes/containers.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

HI

This is a good post, I am certainly planning on stocking up on essential items.

Can we bring boxes of tea with us if they are unopened? I do love my cup of tea, must put the kettle on...........

Sarah

Guest siamsusie
HI

This is a good post, I am certainly planning on stocking up on essential items.

Can we bring boxes of tea with us if they are unopened? I do love my cup of tea, must put the kettle on...........

Sarah

If they are unopened yes, but ensure you tick "to declare" boxes on your in bound customs forms, and declare, there shouldnt be an issue.. there is an issue with any undeclared item which is prohibited.

Susie x

HI , being a it is the end of our pitifull summer all sun loations are on sale is this expensive over there is it worth me stocking up on ??

cheers

Guest siamsusie
HI , being a it is the end of our pitifull summer all sun loations are on sale is this expensive over there is it worth me stocking up on ??

cheers

I would say its worth taking a bit, particularly Factor 30, but there is a "sell by date" on it usually, so I wouldnt over do it.:wubclub:

Ah!

Things I wish I'd taken - not in any order:

Bisto granules, beef and chicken oxo cubes, lots and lots of underwear and bras etc., ladies bits and pieces, shoes, shoes and more shoes, clothes if you are size 14 and over, medicines, cough medicines especially, optrex (OMG $10 dollars a bottle!), contact lens, trainers, oh did I say shoes?, herbal teas, (never the same in Australia, not sure why), Astral cream - have never found it in Sydney, cotton wool balls/make up/boots sensitive skin line items and make up stuff from Wilkos, cos they are cheaper here in the UK, laptops - they are so much cheaper here especially the second hand ones and also really good mobile phones, external hard drive-again cheaper. I'm even taking my lovely landline telephone handset. I'm taking my PAYG sim card and topping up online as it works out cheaper for me, extention leads only need the Aussie plug adaptor, shoes oh I mentioned them already! If you work from home, printer, ink cartridges and scanner - that may be me being tight fisted there but I have a lovely printer that I don't want to part with yet.

As someone as already there's not much competition and so prices can be a bit steep in Australia.

I wish I could pack Pret A Manger in my bag as well, I have never found any cafe/food shop that is a good as Prets anywhere in Oz...oh and Primarks.

Everything I really like.

These are all the things I missed when I first stayed in Oz.

Oh more importantly if you suffer from Asthma get as many inhalers/medication as you can as the NSW weather played gawdawful havoc with my Asthma which I had controlled for years. You can get over the counter pumps there but I prefer my prescription.

Also bring your latest Opticians spec (up to 2 years) if you think you are going to need glasses or contacts otherwise you have to pay for a sight test and not many opticians will sell you anything without it.

If you're thinking of studying then take all relevant certificates and associated study work stuff.

All things I learnt the hard way unfortunately but if one thing jogs your mind then its all good - oh did I say shoes, don't forget the shoes!!!

Archived