British Mixed-raced Family - Hobart

KazzKing

Hi,

My family (OH & 2 girls - 4 & 11) are lucky enough to be moving to Tas next year (most likely Hobart).

I'm black british and OH is white - we're currently in Scotland where the girls have a large circle of friends and have never experience any racism is any form.

Does anyone know if they will be singled out and treated badly for being mixed-raced (from their peers)? I know pockets of racism are everywhere, but I don't want to take them to a country where they won't be happy.

I'm a professional black women, and I'm not worried about myself - I'd tell them where to go :biggrin:but they are only kids so I'm worried.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

K

Guest siamsusie

Welcome to Poms In Oz KazzKing,

We have quite a number of members now in Hobart (I am in northern Tasmania), and I am sure they will be along shortly to hopefully put your mind at rest.

Certainly up north we have a fair number of Black people and racially mixed, tbh I dont know whether there are issues are not, bearing in mind many are refugees unlike yourself lol.

Our hospitals are well staffed by people of different ethnicity and I have not heard any adverse reactions.

Skani and Crispy70 are two regular contributors from Hobart and I am sure as some time you will be hearing from them tomorrow.

Its a gorgeous island and I hope you will be happy here.

Susie x

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

No one will even give you a second glance in Australia, I have not been to Tasmania but where I live your children would not even warrant a second glance, they will accepted for what they are .... Children.... No one cares about stuff like that. You are coming to Australia, a real mix of all nations and nationalities.

Guest siamsusie

I should also say we have friends of all colours and creeds, I have one Asian son who is well regarded when he comes to Tasmania.. you will be fine x

Guest destinationoz

Hi KazzKing

We too are a mixed race family and have a son who is Black (dual heritage) - we all have dreadlocks too so do tend to stand out in a crowd in Australia ...

we are currently in Singapore on a stop-over to Australia - moving to Canberra in 2 days!!

We have spent 2 months touring the East Coast of Oz a few years ago and 4 weeks in Canberra last year - I must admit we hardly ever felt any negativity or racism - people were generally accepting of who we are and very friendly.

There was one occasion when we were driving from one place to another, thru a remote location and we stopped for petrol and snacks - the owners never took their eyes off us and appreared nervous of us being there but it was fine. Another time in Sydney, another tourist approached my OH for a photo with him saying they thought he was Aboriginal but nothing negative! In our research / experience we have found / heard that Aussie people are more upfront and if they are going to be racist they are likely to be so to your face - not pleasant but at least you can walk away and deal with that unlike some of the sublimial crap we occasionally have to deal with in the UK!!

Overall we felt very positive despite our misgivings before we even visited to Oz and this is prooved as we are now moving there!! Sorry not specific to Taz - happy to keep you posted as we live there ... just PM me if it will help ...

Good luck with your journey!

Hi,

Thanks for your post destinationoz, your experiences in Oz have been positive, and the fact you're moving there imminently says a lot lol.

It's good to know that most people are willing to let you get on, and that's what I want for my family.

I'm 37, British born and bred (London) and I've never experienced any racism. Been in Scotland a good few years and I can say the same. It would be awful to leave and go somewhere where that's not the case.

In the past, Oz has had a bit of a bad rep when it comes to racism, and I know times are constantly changing so I hope that continues. This is a huge deal for us and I don't want anything to spoil it, especially for the girls.

Thanks again and good luck with everything.

K

Guest destinationoz

You dont need me to tell you KazzKing but with your positive attitude and approach - you'll not go far wrong!!!!

Enjoy and happy times!x

Hi KazzKing

We have been in Tasmainia now for about 8 weeks and really love it. I can honestley say that I have neither seen or heard any racial comments or abuse directed towards any person of any race or nationality.

My oldest son is 16 and attends Kingston high school, and his two closest freinds are both black ( from Sudan I believe ) and I've just asked him the question, and he was quite definate, that no, he's not seen or heard of anything directed towards his freinds.

In our experience Tasmanians as a whole seem to be very freindly, of course in every country there are horrible people and I'm sure they'll be some here too, though I've not come across any yet.

I'm sure you'll love Tassie just as much as we do and be very happy here.

Chris xx

Hi KazzKing,

I'm sorry I missed your original post.

I live in Hobart and I would be very surprised if you experience problems for the children. (Possibly, if you were living in the "rougher" areas , but I don't imagine that's where you would live). There are quite a few Somalian and Sudanese refugees living here now and I see the children, both in school groups and private family groups, interacting quite happily and normally with other children.

There have been generations of south east Asian families living here - business people, professionals (particularly medical) and university academics, so there are a lot of Anglo-Asian children too.

The schools here are also very keen on encouraging respect for multicultural and multiracial issues.

Hi,

Thanks Crispysince70, for your reply and especially for asking your son.

It's so good to hear that you've only had positive experiences.

I've never experience any negativity, and I want my daughters to be able to say the same - coming to Tassie, I'm sure they will!

Thanks again

Kx

Archived