Liverpool Gal and Family new to Darwin

Michelle Cholet

Well we're finally here in Sunny Darwin. :jiggy:

After packing up two houses, selling our house in liverpool (or trying to) and shipping all our worldly goods including the car to Darwin i can safely say i'm done with moving!

I'm originally from Liverpool and Married to a fellow Scouser. We have two Children - Ethan aged 7 and Chloe aged 4.

Over the past 12 Years we have lived in various African Countries due to my husbands job, most recently Tanzania in East Africa where we spent the last 5 years which we thouroughly loved........... well apart from the daily 12 hour power cuts, water shortages and fuel shortages. Ha ha!

We finally arrived in Darwin about 10 days ago and so far things are looking good although i'm sure there will be ups and downs. I have managed to work my way around town and elsewhere in a hire car and it seems relatively easy to find places as it's well sign posted (unlike Tanzania with bad roads and roads with no names) :wacko:

The kids are enjoying all the lovely parks which are so clean and tidy and generally well looked after. The kids will be starting school in the next week or two which will give us the opportunity to meet new people as we've not really met anybody yet although we've not been here long. So if there are any people out there living in Darwin or are new to Darwin who have kids let me know as i'd love to find out more about darwin life and meet new people..... plus the kids are driving me mad. Ha Ha! Love em really! :chatterbox:

The weather here is gorgeous and very similar to Tanzania as they too have a dry season and wet season which gets particularly hot and humid towards the end of the year with lots of tropical storms etc so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a shock to us but you never know.

I had a look at the poms in oz website on numerous occasions while we were waiting for visa's etc and read some interesteing and funny threads keeping me motivated through the what seemed like a long wait. Now we are here i've finally got my backside into gear to join. Woohoo!

Anyway looking forward to starting our new adventure down under and enjoying life and meeting some Poms in Oz people:yes:

shell

Guest laura1106

Hi shell,

That's great you have settled in. My husband and I are due to move there in 2 weeks I'm really looking forward to it. Just getting all my last minute things done.

it looks like such a lovely place

Laura

Hi Laura,

yeah it's a nightmare trying to sort out those final few things but before you know it you'll be here. I can't really believe that were finally here ourselves.

Anyway i'm sure you'll love it. I'm just off out with the kids on the duck about town tour which is worth a look at online. We have a similar one on liverpool which the kids wanted to go on whilst we were home but we never got chance. They then spotted one when we got here so we're doing the tourist thing. Ha Ha!

Well good look on your move and I hope it all goes well. Maybe we can catch up when you get here.

Shell

Guest jamesw

Hi My wife and I moved to Darwin in January of this year and absolutely love it here. We've been through half a wet, cyclone carlos and now have (evidently) one of the best dry's on record. Dry season in Darwin is absolutely fantastic with so much going on all the time. If we can be of any help just PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well things in Darwin are still going good for us. I can't believe we've been here in Darwin for a month now. We have now sorted most things like banks, medicare, schools and various clubs for kids to enjoy. We are still awaiting our shipment which we should have received on 31st Aug but are now due to receive mid September so not long now.

One thing i did learn about Australia is that you can't park facing the wrong direction:eek: as i found myself with a nice parking ticket and a $40 fine in my second week here. A lesson well learnt which i won't be repeating. Ha ha! Hopefully there won't be too many incidents like this again.

We did go to Mindil Beach Markets last Thursday which was lovely. We all wanted to go before it closed for the rainy season. I was surprised to see sooo many people there. The Market stalls and food were good with random people jamming in the background. The Sunset was amazing and the kids really loved playing on the beach.

So Laura I guess you are almost here by now. I hope all is going well for you and you are finding your feet here in Darwin. I find Darwin easy to get around being that it's not a huge city infact it's a nice introduction to Australia without being too overwhelmed by a big city (especially as we've just come from a relatively small capital city in Tanzania) let me know if you need any newcomer advice with anything once you get here and we can always meet up for a coffee or have a chat on the phone.

James.......nice to hear that you and your wife are enjoying Darwin as we are. It would be great to meet up with some fellow brits like yourselves as we all have a story or two to tell about the moves we've all embarked upon. We have a few things going on in the week but maybe we could meet up one weekend if you are both free?

Anyway keep me posted on all your Darwin happenings.

shell

Hi Shell, me and my son are due to land over there in 4 weeks (husband to follow after sale of house) and I am really looking forward to it. My boy will be 3 in Jan and Im not sure which pre school to send him too whilst I work part time. I would love to get together when we get there and make some much needed friends!!

Hi everyone - I've found a post with Darwin people on at last! My husband, 2 boys age 3 and 2 and I moved here 3 weeks ago after 3 months travelling Oz and we love it. Everything about the place from the weather to all the stuff to do with the kids is just great. We are keen to make some friends for ourselves and the kids. Does anyone fancy a meet up? I'm happy to organise if no one has time!:wink: There's so many great parks that we could head to for a bbq one weekend maybe?

Im not packed yet! the shippers come on 3rd oct so should really pull my finger out! We are going to be living in Tiwi with the inlaws to begin with and I have got my son into Jingli Kindy on Mondays and Fridays. Not sure where we will live in the end so Im going to use my time until my husband joins us to do some investigating! Confirmed my job start date this week as 20th Oct at a salon in winnellie, whivh will be part time but Im so nervous as have been my own boss for 3 years. where do you live? Have you found any good toddler groups?

Not long to get going! Only seems like yesterday that we were doing all that! Great that you are staying with rellies though and have family around. I take it you have been before then? Is your partner Aussie? Good effort on sorting kindy too. I just handed the forms in for my boy today. He will start in January too. He gets 2 days a week from 8am till 2.30pm and then a half day until 12. Can't believe how long he gets. I'm going to look for work in Jan as I have another boy who is 2 to sort out with child care aswell.

We are in Palmerston by the way. I love it out here. Darwin is amazing but this is only down the road and is its own "city". It has everything you need only its more like a small town compared to the UK. Housing is obviously cheaper too. You'll be able to have a good look when you get here though.

Haven't found any toddler groups yet. I have a list of about 6 in the area but haven't had the chance yet. Am very keen to though as hopefully we will make some friends. Did go to an awsome thing that Palmerston library runs though which is called "KAT in the park". It's like a small bus that brings toys to different parks and then they have songtime afterwards. Think Darwin has something similar called fun bus?

Well, haven't heard from any other Darwin people yet for the meet up so I suppose I will just post in the get togethers forum and if we keep bumping it up then we may get someone else....if not it's just us!:wink: Hope the move goes really well for you all.:hug: the goodbyes are so hard but it's worth it!

Guest Whoopseydaisy

Im moving to Palmerston as soon as i get my visa! I Have a job waiting for me so I am hoping to get there by xmas.

Its just my husband and myself so it would be great to meet up with fellow newbies to the area as Im sure we will be a bit homesick for the relatives and friends for awhile.

I'll keep an eye out on the 'Get Together' forum to see if anyone has arranged anything by the time I get there!

Wow Debs,

not long now til you get here. i guess just over 2 weeks till you leave the UK. I bet you just want to get here now and get settled. once the packers have loaded the container you'll be able to relax a little or at least that was how i felt. We are due to receive our shiment next week hopefully so can't wait. the kids have been entertaining themselves with cardboard boxes and things as they have very little toys although they are busy most afternoons with swimming, tennis clubs etc so they haven't really noticed. it'll be like christmas for them when they get here. Hope all the packing goes well and i hope to meet up soon.

shell

• 2 weeks later...

Archived