ACT Vs NSW

Guest Bazinga

Guest Bazinga

Hi all,

Just looking for some info re renting/buying in NSW Vs ACT. Husband will be working in Braddon Canberra and at first living with family in Karabar (NSW).

Is there a big difference in taxes, house prices, school fees etc? The borough I live in in London gets less money per child in schools for example than the next door borough. Is it a similar situation in Australia?

Have been looking at Karaba, Bungdendore, Yarrow, Araluen & general Queanbeyan area. We have two children, 6yr old boy & 1yr old girl so schools/parks are more important than bars/social life.

Def can't afford Manuka, Griffith, Kingston!

Thanks.

I just replied in your other post however, to add to it ...

NSW kids dont have automatic access to ACT schools and many parents want their kids in ACT schools for a lot of reasons - more money per child generally being one of them. Also the NSW system is more traditional and many parents like the more laissez faire approach of ACT with its new schools and open spaces. NSW kids also have to study for the HSC which is not the easy option in any body's book. With many of the aspirational parents taking their kids across the border to ACT schools (if they can get them in - often they are stuck with the less popular ACT schools) that leaves a bit of a congregation of perhaps the less aspirational kids in the Qbn HS (let us say they dont generally fare too well on the HSC rankings!). However, if you want to pay for a private ACT school then you are in there with everyone else who can afford the fees.

NSW is cheaper for a lot of things - car rego, rates, possibly power, and, often, petrol. However it doesnt have the same level of access to some services - mental health, disability support, ancillary therapies etc are all state based but the big hospital in ACT is regional so NSW residents do have access to that as well as to their own smaller hospital.

Us snobby ACTers do have a bit of a view of Qbn as being a bit "bogan" and to some extent it is, but it also has been around for longer than Canberra and has more of a small country town feel to it. Personally I would much prefer to live in Queanbeyan than I would to live in Tuggeranong:arghh:

If you are working in Braddon then the inner North is definitely the place to be - as I said in my other post, central Canberra is nothing like central London and we have 1/4 acre in Ainslie with kangaroos regularly visiting us. Mind you, accommodation in this area is getting ridiculous and though you can pick up a house for $500 - $600k, it is likely to be a 3 bed weatherboard in need of renovating (no ensuite, no family room, big block etc) but the land value is going to be well worth it. If you can get somewhere in Hackett, Watson, Downer, Ainslie, O'Connor, Lyneham, Campbell, Reid then the local schools are generally going to be quite good and your access to local shopping centres will be easy and there are quite a few activities for mums with kids in the vicinity. The buses are easy to Civic or you can walk (takes me 40 minutes to walk to work in Civic)

CF? OMG, no! One hesitates to generalize but bogan inbreds wouldnt be too far off the mark (with a few alternative hippies). An old gold mining place and if you want "out of the way" it fits the bill - the houses are cheap for a reason.

Guest Bazinga

Bogan inbreds?! Oh dear. Ah well, it's just one of the places we are looking at but so far it ticks a lot of the boxes. Price wise we are going to be somewhere in the sticks for sure.

Archived