Teachers Wage Scale

Guest stevenw8971

Guest stevenw8971

Hi,

We are thinking of moving to SA, my wife is a Primary School Teacher with 13 years experience and wants to know where she would be put on the wage scale, can anyone help??

Thanks

Stevenw8971

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/docs/documents/1/TeacherSalaryRates.pdf

Her experience should count, so will be up the payscale, however I'm still not sure myself what all the different types are, but from my research I think she should be in point 9 of the teacher scale on $79K - however getting a full time perm contract might prove tricky in Metro areas, so bare that in mind.

Guest stevenw8971

PostivePixie,

Thanks for that, thats what we think - just don't want any surprises when we get there. Will look at ur blog later.

Guest Pixie10

Yeah I agree with Positive Pixie, but don't forget she can always get relief/supply teaching- I think thats what I might be doing for a while!

Going to start the teacher registration in next few weeks as it takes a few months- just a heads up in case you're heading out soon. She will need to complete an assessment (bit like a skills assessment for visas)Then once in Oz get police checks, and do child protection/1st aid courses then apply to register to teach. Check out TRA website.

Goodluck!

Positive Pixie hows it all going for you? Ooo I'll check out your blog too!

Goodluck!

Positive Pixie hows it all going for you? Ooo I'll check out your blog too!

We are uploading our documents as we speak, having just finally lodged about 30 mins ago lol - so its all go here now. Have had rather a lot of manic things happening here, so it looks like, if all goes to plan, we may well be out there in Jan next year! :o

Just trying to figure out all the paperwork now (think I might do a thread somewhere lol).

Can you do us teachers a massive favour - once you have arrive out in Aus (or before if you know) can you let us know who you are doing your courses with? I have a couple of names, but am still not 100% confident I know to do the correct things, so would be super helpful :)

When are you going out?

Guest stevenw8971

thanks Pixie10, I think we're missing something, my wife has had her qualifications assessed by AITSL, needed for DIAC, and SA SS, then the registration board want to assess them again - that can't be right

thanks Pixie10, I think we're missing something, my wife has had her qualifications assessed by AITSL, needed for DIAC, and SA SS, then the registration board want to assess them again - that can't be right

I take it you're not a teacher Steven? lol (we are used to the pointless red tape at every turn!).

AITSL only assess for migration only - each state is responsible for assessing teachers for that specific state and therefore there isn't an overall body in Australia that can assess whether or not your (or in your case, your wife's) qualifications are suitable.

Unfortunately, that's the way it goes - at least she didn't get QTS via GTP - she wouldn't be allowed to teach over there at all!

(Having done this for three countries now, I'm getting quite used to all the red tape, not to mention just the amount here in the UK)....

Guest Pixie10

Lol- stop using common sense- weres the money to be made if you just get your skills assessed once!! :tongue:

Seriously Ive double checked you need to pay and submit all the same docs and be assessed again!!! Ridiculous- yes, an easy way for SA to make money- yes!!:biggrin:

Guest Pixie10
We are uploading our documents as we speak, having just finally lodged about 30 mins ago lol - so its all go here now. Have had rather a lot of manic things happening here, so it looks like, if all goes to plan, we may well be out there in Jan next year! :o

Just trying to figure out all the paperwork now (think I might do a thread somewhere lol).

Can you do us teachers a massive favour - once you have arrive out in Aus (or before if you know) can you let us know who you are doing your courses with? I have a couple of names, but am still not 100% confident I know to do the correct things, so would be super helpful :)

When are you going out?

OOOooo Im going on 5th Jan (hopefully) so might be out together! I have a few friends/contacts on PIA and PIA facebook group who are teachers out there now so I will ask and let you know. You on PIA?

x

Guest stevenw8971
I take it you're not a teacher Steven? lol (we are used to the pointless red tape at every turn!).

AITSL only assess for migration only - each state is responsible for assessing teachers for that specific state and therefore there isn't an overall body in Australia that can assess whether or not your (or in your case, your wife's) qualifications are suitable.

Unfortunately, that's the way it goes - at least she didn't get QTS via GTP - she wouldn't be allowed to teach over there at all!

(Having done this for three countries now, I'm getting quite used to all the red tape, not to mention just the amount here in the UK)....

Your right, i work for the fire service and thought that was bad, at least our stuff is all computer based

Guest stevenw8971
Lol- stop using common sense- weres the money to be made if you just get your skills assessed once!! :tongue:

Seriously Ive double checked you need to pay and submit all the same docs and be assessed again!!! Ridiculous- yes, an easy way for SA to make money- yes!!:biggrin:

how stupid of me, as if it not expensive enough.

Guest stevenw8971
OOOooo Im going on 5th Jan (hopefully) so might be out together! I have a few friends/contacts on PIA and PIA facebook group who are teachers out there now so I will ask and let you know. You on PIA?

x

Hopefully we won't be that far behind you. Would be good if you could keep us in the loop too. Not sure what PIA is...

Hi Steven,

PIA is Poms In Adelaide, which is a sister site of Poms In Oz (www.pomsinadelaide.com) If you have your visas and are definitley going to Adelaide, I would strongly recommend you register on there too. Almost all of the PIA members are already in Adelaide or not very far away, so you will get lots of good up to date advice and suggestions for your arrival.

Best wishes, Kazza

Guest stevenw8971
Hi Steven,

PIA is Poms In Adelaide, which is a sister site of Poms In Oz (www.pomsinadelaide.com) If you have your visas and are definitley going to Adelaide, I would strongly recommend you register on there too. Almost all of the PIA members are already in Adelaide or not very far away, so you will get lots of good up to date advice and suggestions for your arrival.

Best wishes, Kazza

Thanks Kazza, thats me now signed up to PIA.

Cheers

Steven