Karratha

Guest NeilEB

Guest NeilEB

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about the Karratha area?

For soem reason rents are really high there - any reason for that when it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere?

Is there anywhere cheaper to live that's commutable?

Hi my son is in Karratha at the moment and said everything is expensive there, as you said it seems to be in the middle of nowhere. He said the money that they pay for most jobs is good. He is working through manpower as a trade assistant (i think thats what he said) $35 per hour, he said it's easy money for what he is doing. His mate bought cheap mobile phone in perth $25 he bought in Karratha $30. This may help. Sharon

Hi all,

For soem reason rents are really high there - any reason for that when it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere?

rents are higher because they are maily rented out by the big companies for their mining workers ......good place to invest in property [if u have any spare cash ] lol .....as the companies will pay in excess of $1000 per week to rent them out :wacko:

mrs keily

Guest siamsusie
Hi all,

We have a home in Karratha Neil,

Yes the rents have been expensive there for many a long year, its all company rents which push it up. Land release is the essence! .. native land... slowly more land is being released but this is conducive to higher house prices and rents.

Some people commute from Roebourne, although personally I wouldnt like to do it after a 12 hour shift.

Dampier commands a higher yield, I am afraid there are no easy options.

Susie x

Guest siamsusie
rents are higher because they are maily rented out by the big companies for their mining workers ......good place to invest in property [if u have any spare cash ] lol .....as the companies will pay in excess of $1000 per week to rent them out :wacko:

mrs keily

$1500 + per week these days Mrs K... its not cheap

Guest siamsusie
My understanding its more expensive for these types of places as most people there are on really high wages so landlords/shops etc make good use of that.

Not exactly so,rents are expensive Lynn, Centro who are equivalent to your Westfields have the market in Karratha.. goods also have to be transported in by road just under 2,000K or flown in which costs a fortune. Fuel is expensive which is shipped in.

For a small country town, it has some good amenities.. with the advent of FIFO the change is not for the better.

Not everyone living in Karratha is on huge salaries, believe it or not there is some poverty there... airfares are extortionately expensive and for some families they are hard hit getting down to Perth to see their families.

Susie

Guest NeilEB

Thanks Susie,

Just been approached about a job there for $130k......was quite excited by the salary - until I saw the rental prices.

I literally couldn't find anything for less the $1800 per week....(admittedly only did a 10 minute quick search).

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie,

Just been approached about a job there for $130k......was quite excited by the salary - until I saw the rental prices.

I literally couldn't find anything for less the $1800 per week....(admittedly only did a 10 minute quick search).

No worries Neil, thats about it I am afraid.

If you could have secured a company house with all the trappings then that would have been the way to go.

Susie x

I wouldn't say it's the mining that is the cause for it being so expensive, it's the isolation. EVERYTHING is transported in, food, petrol, even building materials, so that makes it more expensive to build a house. All transportation costs are passed on to the comsumer. It's the same right throughout the Pilbara.

Archived