Guest Ginjafro

Guest Ginjafro
Hi Ginfaro

Sorry I am not posting with help but to ask yours my OH is looking at the application process and we are doing it ourselves so although it is the beginning it is quite tricky.

He has had his own business in joinery and building for 20 years+ and is a fantastic joiner/builder/craftsman. My question is that he is struggling with which joinery/ carpentry 'category' suits him best he is a classic English joiner but has never handled computer programmed machines and finds he fits most of all the categories but not exact should I phone trade set or vet assess what would you recommend. Congratulations on hearing about your pass by the way well done! Any help would really be appreciated

Hi,

Please PM me for advise on my experience on the process. Like the other posters have indicated your OH should not worry too much but all should be much clearer when I can respond properly in time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ginjafro

I now have the important documents gained after my positive skills assessment, portfolio of evidence and practical assessment.

The first is a "Statement of Attainment" issued by Vetasses. This certifies that (name of skilled person) has attained the following units of competency. In my case it lists 29 units such as, handle carpentry materials, use static machines, manufacture joinery components...... At the bottom of the statement it states "The competencies form part of CPC31908 Certificate III in Joinery". And "This qualification certified herein is recognised within the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)".

The second document is titled "Skilled Migration Assessment". This confirms "SUCCESSFUL" Assessment outcome. It then goes on to state when the assessment was completed and "Based on the assessment, you meet the requirements of the nominated occupation and are assessed as suitable for migration purposes". Now.... there is a caveat emptor (beware) a final paragraph states the skilled worker will need to complete a "work safely in the construction industry" program of training and sucessfully complete to gain a "White Card". This final and vital competency "for licensing purposes must be achieved in Australia before the qualification can be issued". In other words when in Oz get your White Card and then you will gain full AQF III status, fair enough.

It is kind of disappointing that it appears no one is willing to help. In the meantime I have done further research and quite happy to offer guidance to others who maybe facing practical assessment in all trades as well as Bench Joinery. The VETASSESS site is not the most logical, helpful or easiest site for finding relevent info but I have found hidden amongst FAQs No22 the following useful link, a candidates guide http://www.vetassess.com.au/download/offshore/Candidate%20Kit.pdf

It doesn't tell you everything but after talking to my agent, now that I am booked in for a practical, I shall soon be emailed by VETASSESS with confirmation, given this guide and further detail of some of the jobs I might do on the day, ie build a saw horse or a number of other possibilities.

Hi mate.

The reason why no one responded is because no one else out there is a Bench Joiner! (Quite literally) we are few and far between, its not people not wanting to help on this site, quite the opposite, I had a similar problem, I only found Chippies (2 a penny :tongue:) and old joinery posts from like 2008! had I seen your post, been off PIO for a few months, been to busy to keep up to date, I would have told you all you needed to know, I did start a Thread for other joiners to find as I knew people would be in the same boat, did you not find it in your searches?

For the record all I had to do was a mortice and tennon, draw the door and window plus the rod for the stairs, piss easy, spent half the day doing nothing. What did you have to do???

Im actually off the tools now, what do you work on?

Cheers JTC

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ginjafro,

How is your application going? Not heard from you for a while

Sporty

I now have the important documents gained after my positive skills assessment, portfolio of evidence and practical assessment.

The first is a "Statement of Attainment" issued by Vetasses. This certifies that (name of skilled person) has attained the following units of competency. In my case it lists 29 units such as, handle carpentry materials, use static machines, manufacture joinery components...... At the bottom of the statement it states "The competencies form part of CPC31908 Certificate III in Joinery". And "This qualification certified herein is recognised within the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)".

The second document is titled "Skilled Migration Assessment". This confirms "SUCCESSFUL" Assessment outcome. It then goes on to state when the assessment was completed and "Based on the assessment, you meet the requirements of the nominated occupation and are assessed as suitable for migration purposes". Now.... there is a caveat emptor (beware) a final paragraph states the skilled worker will need to complete a "work safely in the construction industry" program of training and sucessfully complete to gain a "White Card". This final and vital competency "for licensing purposes must be achieved in Australia before the qualification can be issued". In other words when in Oz get your White Card and then you will gain full AQF III status, fair enough.

What scores did you get? It's a horrible feeling isn't it! :arghh: OH on his way to resit today, he did loads of revising this time and feels better about it. Book another test don't give up, you can do it. we are going to retake again, if needs be, hopefully it won't be nessesary but not giving up on our dream for a stupid english test! WE WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!! That Jan deadline to submit is fast approaching :confused:

Got my results today FAILED :no:

Guest Ginjafro
What scores did you get? It's a horrible feeling isn't it! :arghh: OH on his way to resit today, he did loads of revising this time and feels better about it. Book another test don't give up, you can do it. we are going to retake again, if needs be, hopefully it won't be nessesary but not giving up on our dream for a stupid english test! WE WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!! That Jan deadline to submit is fast approaching :confused:

Really sorry guys but hope a resit will do it. BTW what do you mean by "That Jan deadline is fast approaching"?

Archived