Working Conditions & Hours

derham

Hi Can anyone let me know how many hours a construction site Manager/Project manager works in the Perth area. I been told some horror stories of working 10 to 14 hrs a day plus travel over 6 and 7 days. Is this correct?:arghh:

• 2 weeks later...

Each site will have a fatigue management policy. 14 hours is not unknown, but generally the minimum break you can have is 10 hours so more than that is not common (that usually includes travel). There will be a work to break ratio, ours, for example is 4 x 14 hour days then a day off, or 7 x 8 hour days, 6 x 10 hour days to a day off etc. 10/4 is very common as a construction schedule and they're normally 10 hour days. Each site is different but each site also has a duty of care towards the fatigue of its workers.

My partner was recently working FIFO to Karratha working on a piling project. He worked 6 weeks on 3 weeks off (with every 14th day off whilst on site), 12 hour days. The law is that no-one must work more than 13 days in a row and no more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period. Other people were on a 3 week on 1 week off roster.

He was FIFO from Cornwall with a Cornish company! Soon after he started they landed a big contract near Karratha and sent him down there since he's worked in Australia before. Not a good roster though and that's what made us decide to move permanently down there and both get residential jobs. The concept of FIFO is great until you're actually doing it. It works well for couples who need time apart in order to function properly. We actually like spending time together so it was pretty tough to endure for 10 months. He was on a UK wage working alongside people earning 4 times as much, which you tend to get a bit sick of after a while...

He was a Project Engineer up there but is now going to be an underground geotechnical engineer instead, earning more money and going home every night. We've now both got jobs to go to and will be moving in about 5 weeks, but that's the resource sector and we have pretty good qualifications so it was easy to get a job from the UK.

What qualifications and experience do you have? Are you trying to apply directly or through a recruitment agency?

The construction industry is booming at the moment so its strange you're having so much difficulty...

Should also ask, are you trying to get FIFO from the UK to Australia? If so this is probably quite difficult, I think my OH situation was fairly rare.

Defiantly longer hours in Oz than the UK, I worked average 60+ hours sometimes through choice sometimes through getting the job done on time, but isn't it great to have longer hours and more money that short time 35 hours a week I am getting here.

Archived