Customs form query

motherof2

OH is currently completeing the form B534 and has got stuck on section 8 'soil or earth or goods containing soil or earth, rock or mineral samples'

I have a small collection of semi precious rocks such as amethyst, smokey and rose quartz, diopside etc. All brought from shops many years ago so have no receipts. We also have varnished leopard shell.

I do have a small piece of coral which was gievn to me as a child so I presume I can't take that.

Are these OK to bring?

I've been told you can't take shells - as for the others, check out the AQIS Icon database

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp

:)

Hi there just reading your post regarding shells , i am a BEAUTY THERAPIST here and i do a massage which involves recycled tiger clam shells do you think i will have a problem with taking these with me . I really hope not as it is such a lovely treatment and i would like to carry it on in oz . Itried to email the above link but just couldnt get through

many thanks

susan :wubclub:

It's a website, not an email :wink: If you google AQIS - Icon database it should come up.

But here goes I'll copy .....

Commodity: Sea shells (other than oyster shell) ex_clrpixel.gifex_clrpixel.gifScientific name:

ex_clrpixel.gifex_clrpixel.gifSynonyms: Show Synonyms ex_clrpixel.gifex_clrpixel.gif Clam shells, Cochlia, Conch shells, Cone shells, Giant clam shells, Giant conch shells, Hermit crab shells, Sea shells (other than oyster shell), Seashells, Tortoise shells, Turtle shells

ex_clrpixel.gifex_clrpixel.gifCountry: All countries ex_clrpixel.gifex_clrpixel.gifEnd use: All uses other than as animal foods, fertilisers or for growing purposes

Non-Commercial

1. An Import Permit is not required.

2. A Quarantine Entry is required for all consignments except those that are imported as non-commercial consignments by mail or those that are imported as personal consignments with passenger's accompanied baggage.

3. Each consignment must be inspected on arrival to ensure freedom from contamination and/or infestation by extraneous materials. If contamination and/or infestation is found, the material will be treated by an AQIS approved method, as applicable to the type of contamination (outlined in C9911 ‘Treatment of contaminants’).

OH is currently completeing the form B534 and has got stuck on section 8 'soil or earth or goods containing soil or earth, rock or mineral samples'

I have a small collection of semi precious rocks such as amethyst, smokey and rose quartz, diopside etc. All brought from shops many years ago so have no receipts. We also have varnished leopard shell.

I do have a small piece of coral which was gievn to me as a child so I presume I can't take that.

Are these OK to bring?

OMG I think we must have broken the law several times over then when we packed up all our belongings, we had so many different types of shells, some highly polished and some not, also natural coral, we never gave them a 2nd thought!

Didn't want them broken so we wrapped them in tissue and placed them inside towels etc and placed them in vac bags so they wouldn't get broken Eeek, They made their way to Oz safely and back no problems at all :wacko:

Non-Commercial

1. An Import Permit is not required.

2. A Quarantine Entry is required for all consignments except those that are imported as non-commercial consignments by mail or those that are imported as personal consignments with passenger's accompanied baggage.

3. Each consignment must be inspected on arrival to ensure freedom from contamination and/or infestation by extraneous materials. If contamination and/or infestation is found, the material will be treated by an AQIS approved method, as applicable to the type of contamination (outlined in C9911 ‘Treatment of contaminants’).

They will in our container not in our accompanied baggage. I think I'll clean them with that migrants friend Jeyes cleaning fluid and declare them. Do you think it worth giving them a ring to be on the paranoidingly safe side? :wacko:

Guest The Pom Queen

I asked Liam at PSS and this was his reply:

Basically the customer should leave the leopard shell and coral behind as these items are classed as prohibited items and maybe destroyed on arrival (as per below link). In regards to the precious rocks its a bit hard to advise as they maybe permitted if they have been treated before being made into an ornament.

If you look at the below link it will state that the rocks are prohibited but I would recommend that they contact Daff directly for answer to play safe.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/moving-emigrating#common

Guest siamsusie

Are these OK to bring?

Hi Motherof2,

I brought in my collection of semi precious rocks in my hand luggage, together with my grand mother's antique tortoise shell hair sldes. I kept them apart and declared them at Customs.

They were examined and given the all clear. There are facilities at the ports for small articles to be sent back to the UK in the event of this happening.

I will reiterate the importance of declaring them.. you never know your luck.

Susie x

Guest siamsusie
Can I just double check - this is the shell I'm talking about. My daughter will be gutted if she can't take it. She bought it on her school trip to the isle of white this year

I have two identical given to me by my folks so I do understand, mine got through after inspection. To be frank I would rather that AQIS examine it whilst you are present and then be refused rather than AQIS refusing when examining your container.

AQIS are most appreciative that you are taking the time and trouble to conform to all the regulations , and lets face it the rules are there for a good reason.

I have always found AQIS most helpful.

Susie

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie. I just find it difficult to understand that what is such a common shell sold in europe is aparently not allowed into Aus. Probably the first of many 'why' and 'why nots' I will encounter!

It is basically keep Australia devoid from contamination from overseas products which is quite understandable.

AQIS work extremely hard in this respect not only with overseas items but interstate as well.

There are many items that we cannot bring into Tasmania also from the mainland.

Susie x

Definitely Declare, declare, declare :)

Every time I've flown home over the last 9 years I've always ticked the 'I've got food' box, just in case I've forgotten something... It sometimes means I've declared food when I don't have anything other than chewing gum (sometimes not even that), but rather that then get in trouble!

Guest GeorgeD

Last time I entered Oz, I declared medicines, food, soil and animal products. I spent the sum total of 30 seconds being checked and was sent on my merry way!

I had:

1. antibiotics and pain relief for a recently removed wisdom tooth
  2. 5kgs of chocolate!
  3. A set of golf clubs - due to the risk of soil contamination they asked to see my golf shoes, I said I didn't bring them as I was buyng a new pair...the clubs didn't even come off my back
  4. A sporran for my kilt - made from Grey Seal Skin which is now illegal to buy in the EU, but it is not on any endangered list and was commercially treated, so they didn't even blink.

I totally agree - I've always declared the food as nearly always have sweets buried in the bottom of my handbag. Whether they are edible is another matter! We got pulled up by one of the dogs at the airport when we validated - hubby had used his backpack for a picnic which included some fruit about a month before we flew out and the dog had picked the sent of the fruit that had been on there. Got to admire the little woofers!

Archived