Expected construction manager salary

derham

Hi Can anyone let me know what the average salary would be for a construction manager/site manager? I am an experienced project manager but because I do not have a degree I need to apply as a Building Associate! There I am expecting that I will need to drop down to site manager level but need to know how much that will pay to determine if it will be worth going. Also are there plenty of opportunities in WA for site managers?:wacko:

Guest liltman
Hi Can anyone let me know what the average salary would be for a construction manager/site manager? I am an experienced project manager but because I do not have a degree I need to apply as a Building Associate! There I am expecting that I will need to drop down to site manager level but need to know how much that will pay to determine if it will be worth going. Also are there plenty of opportunities in WA for site managers?:wacko:

Hi derham, try searching some sites for employment like http://www.seek.com.au.. Brill site and just look about on there and maybe you might find your answer..... :wink:

Guest liltman
Hi tried that but still a bit unclear. Thanks

Hi derham, try this for example :

Site Manager - Commercial Construction - Melbourne

Experienced construction Site Manager sought to run a Coles shopping centre refurbishment. Start Immediately - Salary to $120k.

Family ownedImmediate startStrong work pipeline

$100,000 - $120,000 pkg

Melbourne Inner Suburbs, VIC

Design & Build Recruitment

:wink:

HI

Thanks for the information that's better than I was expecting.

Regards

:jiggy:

Hi derham, try this for example :

Site Manager - Commercial Construction - Melbourne

Experienced construction Site Manager sought to run a Coles shopping centre refurbishment. Start Immediately - Salary to $120k.

Family ownedImmediate startStrong work pipeline

$100,000 - $120,000 pkg

Melbourne Inner Suburbs, VIC

Design & Build Recruitment

:wink:

Guest Gone Crazy

Hi Derham, I've been here 3 years and have worked up from Site Manager to Construction Manager. I get $90,000 a year but am expected to work from 6:00am to 7:00pm it's brutal. Wouldn't recomend it at all. Started of positive as I was confident having managed large projects in UK but was shocked when I started as residential supervisor as they have homes allover and you can be stuck managing up to 27+ homes allover the place. You are expected to fetch materials/deal with clients (no sales people) you do handovers and it's just a sham. Even at the level i've got to know just frustrating as standard of 'tradies' is comical. Be wary as salaries are BS. $110+ means a package so deduct car/super etc they'll try to get you as cheap as chips. I was forced to start at $60,000 which had OH in tears as we were expecting a lot more.

Hi Derham, I've been here 3 years and have worked up from Site Manager to Construction Manager. I get $90,000 a year but am expected to work from 6:00am to 7:00pm it's brutal. Wouldn't recomend it at all. Started of positive as I was confident having managed large projects in UK but was shocked when I started as residential supervisor as they have homes allover and you can be stuck managing up to 27+ homes allover the place. You are expected to fetch materials/deal with clients (no sales people) you do handovers and it's just a sham. Even at the level i've got to know just frustrating as standard of 'tradies' is comical. Be wary as salaries are BS. $110+ means a package so deduct car/super etc they'll try to get you as cheap as chips. I was forced to start at $60,000 which had OH in tears as we were expecting a lot more. I was hoping to stick to commercial project rather than housing, is it the same (long hours), Couldn't survive on $60K I would be better off staying here (even though the work is hard to et t the moment). Having second thoughts!! Thanks for the info.:arghh:

Guest ChelseaM

Hi

Myself and my husband are planing to move to Perth round April-May next year, he is a carpenter I was looking for carpentry jobs online but where's not many jobs being advertised ,is it quite difficult to get a job before moving?

Guest Gone Crazy
Hi

Myself and my husband are planing to move to Perth round April-May next year, he is a carpenter I was looking for carpentry jobs online but where's not many jobs being advertised ,is it quite difficult to get a job before moving?

Hi I've been here 3 years working as a Site Manager/Construction Manager. Although I've only been working Gold Coast/Melbourne I believe it's the same set up in WA as I currently have a chippie who left WA as he ran out of work. If he wanted to come to Melbourne he'd get a start tomorrow.

How it works with most housing companies is they have 10-15 Supervisors and run jobs over different estates from their utes. They will normally have a 'office day' every Wednesday when all supervisors are in doing invoices labour allocation. I'd encourage trades to drop by on this day if they wanted work. If we had something then they are issued a purchase order and it's price work. Some Supervisors have there own trades but normally you find if you can get a foot in the door then you'll be ok. It is difficult as I had to come here with no job lined up but managed to get a start within a couple of weeks on Gold Coast.

Guest ChelseaM

Thank you for your reply Gone Crazy. Because we got 176 visa we have to stay in WA for 2 years witch limits the places you can look for jobs. I am quite worried . The only place we got some friends is Brisbane and no one at WA. Do you think it would be a good idea to go to the seminar in London ?hoping it would be helpful.

• 4 months later...

hi Derham,

Have a look at the Tafe college qualification I'VE construction and Building it's about HND level and you can study online and at night in Oz. it gives you automatic entry as a Master builder which would open up a lot more doors than site manager roles that have been described. I notice you are a blue nose (we are the people). Caledonian University have a MSc in construction management which can be studied full time and online anywhere in the world. It is also RICS and CIOB recognised and would once you have completed your studies enable chartered builder and project manager once APC completed. I realise you may have not studied at that level therefore if I can assume you are over 30 with significant experience, then there should be no problem with getting entry to study at postgraduate level. What the ask is that you complete your core 8 modules and then you proceed to MSc. I am converting my surveying qualification and enrolling in January 12.

Good luck

Thanks but I cant see me going back to college, I will be 45 next year (opps this year) and I hated going back to get my HNC and that was about 12 years ago. Hopefully I will have my visa through in a few weeks and will just need top see what is available and take it from there, cheers (let's hope Ally gets loads of money to spend this month).

Mate one of the biggest differences with working hours from working in Aus to the UK is that in Aus you are expected to basically work 6 days per week. If you have the experience you say you do you should be on a package well above 100k? Remember this does include your compulsary superannuation 9% and company car.

I would be looking at project managers roles if I were you as well, just because you don't have a degree doesn't necessarily mean you couldn't find a position. My only qualifications are chippy by trade (2000) and nvq level 3 in site supervision (2010), yet I have never had a problem in the last 6 years getting a foreman/site managers role.

I am an Aussie who worked in the UK for 5 years until returning home in sept 2010, I was there until just before Xmas when I came back to the UK to be with my English wife and newborn, I have an interview tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Pat

Good luck with the interview hope you have better luck than I've had over the last few weeks. Things are extremely tight up here in Scotland, hence one of the reasons for the move. I hope I get a role as a PM as I have been a construction director for the last 3 years and Contracts Manager for 3 years before that so I dont fancy going back down to a site manager but if needs must I will.

All the best with it mate, if I was you I would try and look door a mid tier builder, that way you prob won't need the qualifications on paper but still be able to get a decent salary, with a 1/2 decent quality of work/life balance. Get a couple of good references before you go to showmyounare more than capable a a project manager. Saying that you may find that you can get a job as a site manager on the same money as a project manager, a little less responsibility whilst you find your feet and get some connections

Guest chichie69

Hi

I don't suppose your a opening for a plant operator/groundworker with 25 year experience and capable of most thing including being a gang er for 30 men

Hi guys

my o/h and I are wanting to move to oz with our two teenage daughters. My hubby has been a PM for the last 3 years and a Contracts Manager and Elec Eng before that. He hasn't workd on the tools for years so couldnt go as a sparky! With him being a PM albeit on elec/fire protection side am I right in thinking he could apply as a building associate? He also doesn't have a degree but has done his NVQ 3, IEE 17th edition, SMSTS etc.

Any advice would be fab guys. Thanks

Hi guys

my o/h and I are wanting to move to oz with our two teenage daughters. My hubby has been a PM for the last 3 years and a Contracts Manager and Elec Eng before that. He hasn't workd on the tools for years so couldnt go as a sparky! With him being a PM albeit on elec/fire protection side am I right in thinking he could apply as a building associate? He also doesn't have a degree but has done his NVQ 3, IEE 17th edition, SMSTS etc.

Any advice would be fab guys. Thanks

I was in th same boat, couldn't apply as a PM as i didn't have a degree so applied as building associate.

All the best with it mate, if I was you I would try and look door a mid tier builder, that way you prob won't need the qualifications on paper but still be able to get a decent salary, with a 1/2 decent quality of work/life balance. Get a couple of good references before you go to showmyounare more than capable a a project manager. Saying that you may find that you can get a job as a site manager on the same money as a project manager, a little less responsibility whilst you find your feet and get some connections

Yeh that's what I thought, take anything to get experience then move on after I make few contacts.