Teaching jobs and podiatry

chiara

My friends want to relocate to Perth -- He's a PE teacher and she's a podiatrist -- and he believes it's difficult to find teaching jobs in Oz that sponsor. Is this true? Can anyone advise the best way to find teaching jobs that actually sponsor you.

Thanks

Not very likely in this economic climate. There is no shortage of teachers here unless they are secondary maths and science teachers and for all the rest there is fierce competition for positions especially in the places that people actually want to live. He might be able to get a one year exchange so he could possibly get his foot in the door.

However, you don't need to be sponsored if you are a teacher, you are eligible for a 175 if you are a secondary teacher, and possibly a 176 depending on the state (I'm not sure PE teachers are able to be sponsored by any of the states currently, as last time I looked they wanted STEM secondary teachers only, however I believe some of the states have updated their SMPs since then, so don't know the current situation). Primary teachers can be SS for a 176, again depending on the state - it all depends on what AITSL assess your qualification as (for eg, although I now teach Primary, officially I'm a Secondary STEM teacher due to my actual PGCE).

Archived