Australian half sister

k3nj1

I am currently on a 457 visa and have been working on this for 3 years here in Sydney. I am looking to apply for my PR. I have a half sister (same father) who is Australian - would she be able to sponsor my application? Or have me on some kind of family visa?

Thanks

It's becoming increasingly difficult for family to sponsor skilled visas. So you are basically on your own. Employer sponsorship would be the best option, if you're thinking of leaving your current employer, you'd be looking for another job? so that new employer is going to be the one you'd need to talk to about sponsorship.

It not just a case of your sister filling in a few forms and you are suddenly a Permanent resident, family sponsored is not the free ticket everyone thinks it is.

It used to be the case that you still had to have a skills assessment and meet all the other criteria and maybe a 2-3 year processing wait the same as everyone else. Before July 1st the Family sponsor 176 only just give a slight advantage in that you only required to have 100 points to meet the requirement, but after the July 1st that option is gone.

However if your sister was willing to live in a designated area (for example in the outback) she would then be eligble to sponsor you for a Temporary 475 Regional sponsored after which you could then apply for PR.

Archived