Perth or Sydney???

Helen Lauwers

Hello myself, husband and 2 boys (aged 4 and 7 months) cannot decide whether to move to Perth or Sydney! We have pros and cons for both so would appreciate any advice people may have! My main worry about Perth is the fact it's very isolated from the rest if Oz however my husband is a Welding Inspector and have been informed that work is plentiful in WA?! Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

Well, Perth is beautiful! I've not been to Sydney yet but my friends and relatives who have all say that Perth is the better place to live (weather, community, west-facing beaches, work). The isolation is what makes it so nice, I reckon.

From what I've seen/read, Sydney is much like any other large city in the world. Perth has more of a large town feel. And a better climate :-)

There must be a few more folk who've spent time in both places who could share?

I live in Perth and love it. As the other poster above says I reckon it has the best climate in Oz. It gets hot in summer but not too much humidity. I have felt hotter and more uncomfortable in the UK when it's been 28 degrees (unusual I know) than Perth at 40 degrees.

Sydney is also a great and beautiful City and I've been lucky enough to have been over there on work trips a lot. I know Sydney City better than I know Perth as I've had a few weekends there on my own, staying in hotels when I've been able to have a good look around.

I could easily live there too but to have the same "lifestyle", near the beach, in a nice suburb, 30 mins from the City, I would need to be on about double the salary, at least.

It's different when work is paying and you are in a nice hotel close enough to work to walk in. Driving and getting to and from work in Sydney is horrendous, compared to Perth. I drive to work 33Km one way, down the coast road, so a nice drive and it takes me around 50 mins in the busiest period.

I have seen a few articles in the paper where it has compared the cost of living, including housing between Perth and Sydney and the conclusion has been not much difference. When you do a bit more research they don't compare like for like with the housing.

Dining out in Sydney I've found to be very reasonable though compared with Perth. I think there is a lot more competition in Sydney and have had some great meals in fantastic locations and been pleasantly surprised by the bill. Didn't matter too much as work were paying anyway.

There is certainly plenty to do in both places. Sydney would be handy for getting to the rest of the East Coast destinations and the flights are pretty reasonable now. Perth does have a feeling of being a bit isolated but that can be a good thing too. I don't feel the need for a holiday as it's so nice here.

You can get very cheap holidays in Bali and other locations closer to this side of the country. My wife and I haven't been yet but my son went 3 times last year and loves it.

I think your husband would have no shortage of work in Perth and WA. There are heaps of big projects either started up, or due to start that will be needing welding inspectors.

There is some BIG money to be made if he fancies working away from home on FIFO.

Good luck.

It really depends on your interests. Do you currently live in a big city? I don't think Sydney is like any other large city in the world-it has stunning beaches and a lovely climate I think. The harbour is breathtaking too. Perth is also pretty but more like a large town as the OP wrote.

From what I've seen though when dealing with client job searches, welders are in huge demand though in WA. Not saying there aren't jobs in Sydney as I have a client who is a welder in Sydney. But there seems to be a very high demand, with correlated high salaries, for welders in WA.

Sandra

Thank you all for your advice. I think with regards the job situation Perth looks more promising! We live in North East England now (near Middlesbrough for our sins!) so anywhere is better than here! We r only an hour away from Newcastle and Leeds which we love so really we are not used to living in a big city and I suppose we are quite isolated up here which had never really bothered me. When I have been to the likes of London I have always thought how much I like it but would hate to live there so Perth is more likely the place for us!

Helen,

I don't really know but have you looked at job ads on seek.com.au? Also, check out hays.com.au who recruit for trades jobs.

When negotiating for a salary, it is a good idea to put the onus back on the employer anyway. Say something like 'I'm sure you'll pay me what is fair and at market rates' etc...

I'll ask a friend whose brother works as a welder in WA to see if they have an idea of salary.

Sandra

• 3 months later...

hi helen - did u go to oz yet? me and my husband ( and 2 kids 1 and 3) are looking to emigrate next yr - around aug 2012 and we r trying to decide on perth or sydney - i too have come to the conclusion i keep coming up with perth - or at least the answers on the internet point to perth..... where did u end up? i wanted to know about work for painters in perth? my husband is a painter and we r going for state nomination - so in theory there should be lots of work but any advice on amount of work or earnings would be great..... or sydney too?

thanks

Archived