Is this the right choice?

WonnaBeInWA

Hi All. My girlfriend wants to study nursing. She has tried countless access to higher education courses over here in the UK. all of these have been cancelled for various reasons, but mainly because the other students are dropping out. So this year she decided that she was gonna do normal college with the school leavers hoping so would get to finish a course unlike the past 3 attempts. She got accepted on to the courses she wanted to do. A couple of weeks later we found out she was pregnant so we informed the college of this, they weren't best pleases and removed her off the course. We have had no luck at other colleges due to her being pregnant. We have given up on the British education system and decided to try for Australia because this was our goal.

She applied for a college in Perth and within 2 days got a reply saying she been granted a place starting in April 2012. This isn't a problem because our second child is due in December. With this the college asked would she like to reply to any uni's and they could help. Within 2 weeks she got 2 conditional offers. Starting January 2013!

We know the College course is gonna cost us about $17.5k and then university around $22k a year for 3/4 years plus the money we need go show for living cost to get the visa granted. Do we need the $35k it says we need if we are planning on living with family? My family have said we can live them for as long as we need rent free (just buy or own food). So do we really need that much?? We won't have the money for uni before we leave this country so hoping to save for it whilst we are working.

Do people who have experienced this think this is possible??

Sorry about the stupidly long thread.

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

I have moved your post to the Migration forum in the hope that it will attract more replies.

I do not know a lot about coming over here to study but i believe there is a limit to the amount of hours you can work in a week if on a student visa, that is something that may be worth looking into if you are considering that route.

Hi All. My girlfriend wants to study nursing. She has tried countless access to higher education courses over here in the UK. all of these have been cancelled for various reasons, but mainly because the other students are dropping out. So this year she decided that she was gonna do normal college with the school leavers hoping so would get to finish a course unlike the past 3 attempts. She got accepted on to the courses she wanted to do. A couple of weeks later we found out she was pregnant so we informed the college of this, they weren't best pleases and removed her off the course. We have had no luck at other colleges due to her being pregnant. We have given up on the British education system and decided to try for Australia because this was our goal.

She applied for a college in Perth and within 2 days got a reply saying she been granted a place starting in April 2012. This isn't a problem because our second child is due in December. With this the college asked would she like to reply to any uni's and they could help. Within 2 weeks she got 2 conditional offers. Starting January 2013!

We know the College course is gonna cost us about $17.5k and then university around $22k a year for 3/4 years plus the money we need go show for living cost to get the visa granted. Do we need the $35k it says we need if we are planning on living with family? My family have said we can live them for as long as we need rent free (just buy or own food). So do we really need that much?? We won't have the money for uni before we leave this country so hoping to save for it whilst we are working.

Do people who have experienced this think this is possible??

Sorry about the stupidly long thread.

This is illegal and she should seek the advice of a discrimination solicitor.

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/human-rights/international-framework/un-convention-on-the-elimination-of-discrimination-against-women/

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/legal-and-policy/equality-act/

That aside studying in Australia is stupidly expensive even if you are staying with relatives. Especially if you dont already have some money behind you.

In the UK she would get bursaries etc which she wont get in Aus.

How has she managed to get on to a nursing course in Aus if she hasn't even done an access course or have entry qualifications?

Yeah we know it is, but we think it's more hassle than it's worth. With the pregnancy we don't want to cause any unnecessary stress. Plus it gives us more of a assentive to move, if the education systems like that now what it gonna be like when our children grow up?? They would probably welcome her with open arms if she were paying for the course.

She is doing access course to university over in Australia before she starts her course and will goto university if we can afford it and she gets the grade! If we can't afford it or she doesn't get the grades we can always come back here for uni and try again once she's qualified. Plus if this is case it gives us a year non holiday out there to see if we like it ( we'v had a 4 months out there as a holiday and loved every minute). Everything will be total different than a holiday.

Initially I'd just think of it as an extended holiday to see if you and your family like Australia as you're right it will be a little different to a holiday. If you dont already have substantial savings I dont see how with 2 people working only 20hrs a week each you could possibly get the amount of money you need to pay the course fees, which alone would set you back about $130,000. Then you would have to worry about living costs even if only food and of course childcare if studying & working, course books & equipment & travel!

Archived