Include NZ citizen partner on visa application or not?

CXW

I'm a UK citizen and am about to kick off the process of applying for an employer-sponsored 121 visa. I'm clear on what's required of me and am getting started on the paperwork asap.

However, I'm wondering what to do about my partner. She's a New Zealand citizen and therefore can automatically get a SCV, which entitles her to live and work in Australia indefinitely. Under agreements between Australia and NZ she's entitled to many social security benefits, including medicare, but would need to have permanent residency to be entitled to certain social security benefits (after a 2 year period).

If I include her on my visa application, she'll need to get a medical and police checks done, which pushes costs up even more (the application fee alone is £1335...), but would then have PR upon arrival. Alternatively, she could apply for PR once in country - as far as I can tell, the benefits that are excluded aren't ones that she'd need/be eligible for in any case.

Has anyone got any experience with visa applications with NZ partners/spouses? I've emailed an enquiry to the AHC Contact Centre using the form on the website, but am looking to gain as much information as possible about how best to proceed. All responses greatly appreciated.

If you include her on your 121 application. you don't need to pay an additional Visa Application Charge. All you would be up for is the cost of a medical and her PCC/s. If you get PR and then have to sponsor her for a Partner visa, that will cost MUCH more. She will then be up for a medical, PCC/s and a VAC of at least AUD$2960. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Thanks. But the point is that she doesn't need sponsorship to be in Australia and can apply for PR independently as a New Zealand citizen - unless I'm missing something (and this is really what I'm trying to work out), I can't see why there'd be any need to apply for a Partner visa.

I'm pretty sure her PR application wouldn't be any different to anyone else's, she'd still have to pay the fee, and do the medical and police checks. Might as well save yourself the extra fee and include her in yours.

A NZ doesn't get PR they get a special category visa which allows them to live in Aus indefinitely but dont get the same benefits as PR such as access to welfare & medicare. Unless they apply for PR in the same way you are.

Yes, which is exactly what I've said - NZers get an SCV, which gives them the right to live and work in Australia indefinitely and access to some social benefits, including medicare, under reciprocal arrangements, but not all benefits. But then she still wouldn't be eligible for those benefits for 2 years after having got PR, if she decided it was worth applying for it.

As far as I can tell from the responses, it's the difference between paying now for the medical and police checks, or paying later for those two plus the fee if she applied for PR.

Thanks. But the point is that she doesn't need sponsorship to be in Australia and can apply for PR independently as a New Zealand citizen - unless I'm missing something (and this is really what I'm trying to work out), I can't see why there'd be any need to apply for a Partner visa.

You are missing something.

Kiwis can't just 'apply for PR independently as a New Zealand citizen'. They must qualify for a permanent skilled or sponsored visa in exactly the same way as a person from any other country. If cost is your primary consideration, you need to consider that any permanent visa application will cost the same (currently AUD$2960), plus the cost of skills assessment and that of course assumes that she is eligible to apply in the first place.

If you're applying for a 121, you would (IMO), be crazy not to include her as a secondary applicant.

Now I come to think of it, even if you don't include her as a secondary applicant, you'll have to include her as a non migrating partner anyway and I'm pretty sure she'll still have to have (and pay for) the medical.

OK, thanks. So the crux of the matter is that while she can live and work in Australia on an SCV, unless she's absolutely certain that she won't ever want to gain PR (which would seem slightly foolhardy to put it mildly), it makes sense to include her on my application.

OK, thanks. So the crux of the matter is that while she can live and work in Australia on an SCV, unless she's absolutely certain that she won't ever want to gain PR (which would seem slightly foolhardy to put it mildly), it makes sense to include her on my application.

Yep. You've got it.

Archived