price in oz at mo

Guest Working to fish

Guest Working to fish

HI guys could any one let us know the price, at the mo, for the cost of petrol and also diesel per ltr/gallon etc. Have been looking at car/van prices on the net, to buy, and wondering the prices on fuel and what sort of miles to the gallon i can expect to get from something like a 4x4, or a van/people carrier?

Thanks for any info

eddie,tina:wubclub:

• 5 months later...
Guest Dave53

It's even dearer in NSW . Today it is around the $1.42/ Ltr , yesterday it was averaging $1.47/ Ltr . Over $1.50/ Ltr next weekend they reckon ..:arghh:

Guest MarknNana

count yourselves lucky !!!!!!

It's 1.50 here too, but that's Euros which makes it about $ 2.40 :shocked:. Then you lot in Oz would really have something to whinge about :smile:

Mark

Petrol prices in the past year and a half have risen by 30-40c a litre and a lot of people are feeling the pinch, especially those with big V8's.

This has had a real knock on effect on groceries prices as so many goods are delivered by road.

Anyway going back to your question....Diesel is the way to go and the best cars are VW or BMW for this, but all depends on your budget. If you have to go for LPG, I have heard that the government tax will not be subsidised for LPG for much longer and will return to unleaded petrol prices (I think this is happening in the UK soon too). Also the LPG Storage tank eats into the boot space, unless you buy a tank.

MPG on a 4x4 depends....best around 30mpg, worst 15mpg.

Guest DavidandNicky

Even at $1.50, Auz prices are still cheap compared to the UK.........what's the typical cost of road tax and insurance?

Guest thepriceclan

My insurance for my Kia Sportage was $450 ish. 6 monthly Reg (same as car tax) was $226 ish. Can't remember the exact amount but that is pretty close. Remember when you buy a car here you have to pay government stamp duty on the amount the car costs, so the dearer the car, the more you have to pay.

Guest Paul EDGE

Hi Eddie Tina & Chelsea

Paid $1.32 4 unleaded this morning on the Gold Coast, I've got a holden Jackaroo 4x4 it does about 100k for 20 bucks not bad for a heavy V6 3.2 Auto, We're giving it a run out soon over on Frazer Island some off roading and some fantastic beach driving.

All the best with the move

Paul, Tracy & Kids

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi Eddie Tina & Chelsea

Paid $1.32 4 unleaded this morning on the Gold Coast, I've got a holden Jackaroo 4x4 it does about 100k for 20 bucks not bad for a heavy V6 3.2 Auto, We're giving it a run out soon over on Frazer Island some off roading and some fantastic beach driving.

All the best with the move

Paul, Tracy & Kids

We run a `97 Holden Jackaroo - pretty good arent they!:yes:

Guest dwaldron

Don't think petrol, think LPG. You can get a gas conversion now for $2299 minus the $2000 government rebate = $299 i.e. £140. LPG is 62c/litre (in Melb.) but you will use 30% more LPG than petrol per km so the real price to travel the same distance is 83c/l.

It is true that excise is being introduced on a sliding scale from 2011 (see fuel - RACV) - no doubt to pay for the rebate - but:

a) that is 3 years away - think of the savings until then

b) it is being introduced on a sliding scale between 2011 and 2015 so not full excise until then

c) you have a fair idea what will happen with petrol prices in the meantime

d) LPG is far better for the environment, 20% of it being a byproduct of petrol production

I would actively encourage anybody with a car to look at LPG conversion without further delay as there is no guarantee that it will survive Kevin Rudd's "razor gang" budget in May. In Melbourne there is already a 4 week waiting list at most conversion workshops, so hurry along now, it's almost free!

Guest Sheerluck

Local filling station selling diesel at 133.9c/litre. I've a Hyundai Santa Fe 4x4 2.2 diesel that does between 8.5 and 9.5 l/100km (29 to 33 mpg).

My boss was laughing at me for choosing it, as normally diesel is 10-13c per litre more expensive (and as he's a confirmed petrolhead would never dream of driving anything that could use so little fuel), but the last week or so it's been cheaper than unleaded in the three filling stations I drive past on the way to work!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest12551

hi all, this fuel cost stuff is a nightmare, its £1:14 a ltr of diesel here in scotland and i have it on good authority from my local petrol station owner that it will be £1:50 a ltr in the next 12 months!!!!!!! eeek!

i run a 96 model citroen xantia 1.9 turbo diesel,it does about 40 mpg. not bad for a big old car.. however i run it on vegetable oil... and it works great, being a diesel mechanic i can honestly say that it actually goes better too!!!!!!!!!! vegetable oil is about 72 p per ltr from asda but is cheaper if you buy it at the trade centres like costco .. i run mine on a 60%veggy oil and 40% diesel mix but you can run on pure vegetable oil in the warmer season... only problem is is does smell a bit , but hey at that kind of money saving then who cares....

my queerie here is, is there anyone in oz running similar? and if so whats the costing of the vegetrable oils over there... ?

i will be going to redcliffe , brisbane in may for a reccie so i will be checking costs of diesel vehicles etc, but if anyone has any questions then mail me or add to this thread.. cheers john and marie

are you ready for it ,,LOL,,very few diesel cars here ,the odd peugeot 405 /mercedes was about it untill last year & then we got the astra, bmw range, golfs ect introduced. Diesel is $1.50 per ltr. I developed a pump/heater for vegi oil in the uk ,takes the vescositi to the same as diesel. Coconut oil is the way to go or oil boar & pump your own out of the ground you need to do filter every 2000 but thats only same as cooking oil.work wise plenty about if you know what your doing,have you got a job over here?

gary

Guest Guest12551

hi calngary, thanks for that, kinda thought that petrol was king over there...lol...so not too many diesels then..?? old mercs..... love em ..haha. wife doesnt lol..

the diesel fuel heater , ive seen several variations on a theme, some home made stuff really ropey!!!!. what one did you use?.. most ones i saw ran through a converted truck eberspacher type cab heater.. seamed to work ok, but thats only if you use 100% vegetable oil... especially for the cold up here in scotland.. my 60/40 mix seems to work great , but you are right .. fuel filters need replacing often.. my xantia has started to be sluggish.. so filters getting done this week.... i havent heard about using the other oils you mentioned.... very interesting that... might look into it over here...

on the job front, ive got an interview with c u m m i n s diesel in brisbane. but looking for best job and package so keeping options open.. hope to speak soon . john, marie kids and the dog ...lol:smile:

Archived