18 Year old ~ Moving to Western Australia

cartertucker

My Son is 18 (19 in December) & he has just started worrying about the move :eek:

Can anyone post some helpful advice? :wink:

Our son is 19 and is looking forward to going but was not thrilled when we first started talking about going. The older they get the more they realise friends move away for work and uni, and at that age its quite easy to make new friends. Good luck, I wouldnt go if son refused but as you have your visa just make sure he validates it as its much harder to get a visa passed 18.

Hi there:smile:..i can well understand how your son would be feeling, along with the rest of you. It's a big thing for anyone to do, whatever your age. It is good that he has work. What sort of work is it? My son has done it a couple of times, with us and on his own. They leave the life they know behind them and are going to the unknown, which is always a bit freaky! Also at his age he is beginning to find his own way and life..as much as we are always their parents and there to support them, they are trying to find their own route. So on top of this, going to a new country is added. It is the fear of the unknown on both counts. My son loves Perth and after many years has made good friends and contacts, but like anything it takes time and effort. It's a wonderful way of life, but it will take time to build a life there for himself, if he is willing to take the risk. If you are going as a family, the support from you will be important and crucial, to help him find his niche. It's like any big decision in life..preparation is paramount, but eventually we just have to leap and see how we go..i hope he decides to take that leap, because the experience itself, although fearful, is exciting and full of opportunities!!..take care and all the best to you:wink: x

ma auldest lad is 17 18 in december , want to go to college and do sound production. He disna drink and shows nae interest in drink so kelly if yor laddie wants a pal ? ma lad is in to music and loves watching up and coming bands, what tour lad into? aye a know hard to believe that a Scotsmans laddie disna drink:laugh: joke aside a feel for the lad:notworthy:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scubabud
My Son is 18 (19 in December) & he has just started worrying about the move :eek:

Can anyone post some helpful advice? :wink:

Hi hun,

we're in the same boat, son's 18 ( 19 in January ) and is worrying about leaving his friends here and wether he will be able to make new friends and fit in when we get there, I personally can't see a problem, or maybe I don't want to, he's never had a problem in making friends anywhere and is very outgoing, all we have asked him to do is give it a go if he doesn't settle then there is plenty of family in the UK who would look after him, but im sure once he gets there and spends a bit of time oggling all the beach babes we won't have a problem at all. lol

Good look

Marg x

Hi Guys, We too are having issues with our 17 year old lad, he has said he wants to stay here and work, (not sure where the job is coming from), very few in what he wants to do. I too am hoping that when we validate he will remember why we love OZ and the reason we are going. Lets hope they all see the big picture and build a good circle of friends.

Archived