New Category 5's - Where are you now?

mlsdq

hi GAGAN4321, I thought you were confident that FS 886 may get processed next month, are you having double thoughts now?

I m thinking to sit for ielts and to get the extra points that I need and convert to 885, I m feb 2009 and if DIAC starts processing 886 i will be one of the first applicats to get processed, I m really confused more than ever.....I wish I done this last year

I still say its gonna start. However, 175 and 885 will always be having precedence over 176 FS and its right said that FS has to wait longer that independent category. So lets give it a try if its possible no harm in it.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks Quocchuong for helping here. Diac never give a clear information about anything. our understanding in the past was you only can swich from 886 to 885 only if you have 120 points at the time of first application. now you saying by scoring a higher score in ielts you can claim extra points. you are really got me tempted to sit for a new ielts.....thanks

As i was thinking 885 and 175 subclass have more quota allocated to them so even when they start processing 886 or 176, you still have a slimmer chance of processing then 885 and 175 applications. And no harm is done sitting for Ielts.

Just to add my 2 cents

I can understand the reason for the shift to the system in place now. However, I don't get how they have grouped all of us in Cat 5 (esp onshore applicants) as unemployed, employed in semi skilled jobs, etc. 885 and 886 have had Australian qualifications - unless they don't trust their own education sector this group should be processed quite differently to 175 and 176. Degrees are different to diplomas etc and should be treated differently. Reputable Australian institutions should be treated differently to TAFEs. An applicant's ability to land themselves in a job should be treated differently to someone who might. 175 and 885 should be treated differently to 176 and 886. They should give the opportunity to existing applicants to prove that they are working in their fields, earning above a certain amount (good standard would be using the minimum earning amounts that ENS applicants have been told to do), etc. They allow applicants to improve their points test score by allowing applicants the opportunity to submit new IELTS scores but other applicants cannot submit Australian work evidence and or higher credentials to improve their scores. Pure bullsh*t!

Don't get me started with these Ping Pong Poms concept. It pisses me off that offshore applicants think they can bring their families (taking 2+ places from the GSM program) here decide they don't like it after a few months and then return to their home countries. Try a visitors visa first! Why not give people who have been here for 5+ years and really really want to stay here the chance to do so. Again my reason for why onshore should be separate to offshore. For those international students that did not want to remain here (90%) have returned to their countries.

State governments not providing off list nominations is another thing. Federal government says yes they can but the states do something else.

I am quite fed up that DIMIA has not allowed existing applicants other ways to show that they are worth staying here.

Vent over

Sorry but you have no right to say that! Have you ever thought that many offshore applicants have been in Australia and had to leave? And the only option was to apply offshore?

Sorry but you have no right to say that! Have you ever thought that many offshore applicants have been in Australia and had to leave? And the only option was to apply offshore?

Let me be clear I never attacked any particular group of applicants. All I am saying is that I am fed up of DIMIA's immigration policies. I do not like being grouped with applicants that are not similar to my visa subclass except for the fact that our occupations are not in demand. I am expressing my opinion that DIMIA has not allowed family sponsored onshore applicants that are employed in their fields the opportunity to get their visas processed faster. We are being bunched together as the group that has the lowest priority and migration places (885 and 175 are being processed) because of people who rorted the system before us. This was not our fault.

Just to add my 2 cents

I can understand the reason for the shift to the system in place now. However, I don't get how they have grouped all of us in Cat 5 (esp onshore applicants) as unemployed, employed in semi skilled jobs, etc. 885 and 886 have had Australian qualifications - unless they don't trust their own education sector this group should be processed quite differently to 175 and 176. Degrees are different to diplomas etc and should be treated differently. Reputable Australian institutions should be treated differently to TAFEs. An applicant's ability to land themselves in a job should be treated differently to someone who might. 175 and 885 should be treated differently to 176 and 886. They should give the opportunity to existing applicants to prove that they are working in their fields, earning above a certain amount (good standard would be using the minimum earning amounts that ENS applicants have been told to do), etc. They allow applicants to improve their points test score by allowing applicants the opportunity to submit new IELTS scores but other applicants cannot submit Australian work evidence and or higher credentials to improve their scores. Pure bullsh*t!

Don't get me started with these Ping Pong Poms concept. It pisses me off that offshore applicants think they can bring their families (taking 2+ places from the GSM program) here decide they don't like it after a few months and then return to their home countries. Try a visitors visa first! Why not give people who have been here for 5+ years and really really want to stay here the chance to do so. Again my reason for why onshore should be separate to offshore. For those international students that did not want to remain here (90%) have returned to their countries.

State governments not providing off list nominations is another thing. Federal government says yes they can but the states do something else.

I am quite fed up that DIMIA has not allowed existing applicants other ways to show that they are worth staying here.

Vent over

Can I guess a fellow Ellina?:wink:

Although I am not in the same visa category with you I absolutely agree with you! It is extremely unfair! and you are right about the visitor visa issue too! Onshore applicants that prove to be worthy permanent candidates should have more rights even if their career does not qualify as a "needed occupation"

I'm not an expert on the visa subject but if you wanted to stay in aus could you not get a bridging visa? Why leave aus and then decide to do an offshore application to return?

Please be understanding, patient and kind to each other, we are all in limbo till the date we hold our visas on our hands, there is no point fighting or arguing about any issue than providing information for each other.

Because DIAC's decision is a thing outside of our control.

I'm not an expert on the visa subject but if you wanted to stay in aus could you not get a bridging visa? Why leave aus and then decide to do an offshore application to return?

It is because some people have no further stay attached on their visa, therefore they can't apply in Australia. It is extremely unfair

Please be understanding, patient and kind to each other, we are all in limbo till the date we hold our visas on our hands, there is no point fighting or arguing about any issue than providing information for each other.

Because DIAC's decision is a thing outside of our control.

DIAC is influenced by the party that is in control. Don't worry federal elections are on the way and I have told a lot of locals my story. I do hope people understand the need of someone venting. Everyone does it from time to time. If you go back far enough in this thread I have been someone who has always maintained that Cat 5's will get processed when everybody else were afraid of cap and cease...may take time but will get there. I may not necessarily agree with the way they do it but it will happen.

Long story short. I can confirm that getting ielts of 7 each now will bump you up to 885/175. I will book an appointment at least every month until I get 7 each. Keep trying dont lose hope. Most of us are FS 2008/2009 so if we changed to independent now our files will be allocated co right away considering how far ahead independents are to FS. It's true that a few test of ielts cost is nothing compared to waiting in limboland. I suggest anyone on FS jump on ielts test as "you have nothing to lose" and pretty much everything to gain and yeah pretty much co straight afterward. If you don't want to wait any longer then what you do? :) get your books out and study hard and finally good luck.

Long story short. I can confirm that getting ielts of 7 each now will bump you up to 885/175. I will book an appointment at least every month until I get 7 each. Keep trying dont lose hope. Most of us are FS 2008/2009 so if we changed to independent now our files will be allocated co right away considering how far ahead independents are to FS. It's true that a few test of ielts cost is nothing compared to waiting in limboland. I suggest anyone on FS jump on ielts test as "you have nothing to lose" and pretty much everything to gain and yeah pretty much co straight afterward. If you don't want to wait any longer then what you do? :) get your books out and study hard and finally good luck.

Yeah, keep trying. I myself failed 4 times before I got 7.0 each. And it's worth the money and the time trying. And it'll occupy your time so you don't feel like waiting for eternity.

Yeah, keep trying. I myself failed 4 times before I got 7.0 each. And it's worth the money and the time trying. And it'll occupy your time so you don't feel like waiting for eternity.

Thanks Quocchuong, much appreciated!

I am completely agree with you. I am so sick of many offshores complaning about DIMIA. They are not even in the country yet.

I have been in Australia for 15 years and waiting for my PR. Onshore should get the priolity than offshore.

All of us have the right to complain and vent, this is what the forum is all about. why are we arguing here because none of us made the rules and pushed the other group down in Cat 5 with us.

Xenos1987 you are right that all should not be grouped together due to the DIMIA's perception of the jobs needed in Aus. People's qualifications, experience, etc should also count.

No doubt, people who are onshore are contributing to the Oz economy and paying taxes but are getting no rights, which is so sad and would test anyone's wits. But offshores have their own story of problems, of uncertainity that is no less painful to the person who is going through it, esp after 3-4 years of waiting and still seeing the ** in every update. I am an offshore, waiting for almost 3.5 years and hate the fact that the DIMIA thinks that having my brother there to welcome me is a disadvantage for me!

If there is anything one has to be fedup of, it is the DIMIA and their *$&$^#$ policies that are a result of some stupid research by people with no brains or analytical skills.

I understand the frustration with DIAC's draconian policies. However to be fair, I believe that the candidates are partly responsible for the situation they are in. By late 2008 DIAC was inundated with applications with particular nominated occupations (cooks, hairdressers community welfare worker etc). Once they got their PR most of these applicants opted for occupations other than their nominated one (in Perth I knew more than a dozen students who were studying cookery but had other jobs lined up even before finishing their courses). As result, Australian migration program had become basically a supply driven one. So they had to come up with something to stop that and the obvious choice would have been the cap and cease method. Instead they chose the administrative method of prioritizing applications resulting in massive backlogs and lengthy delays.

I don't see any problem guys. We are lucky we haven't got cap and cease. Now it's up to us to change to independent and get ourself processed. That's what they want that's what we give to them... It's all individual choice, if you can afford to wait then for all mean stay on FS if not try ielts again. I have front loaded everything again on 12/12 for my 886, applied on 10/2009 originally hoping to get random allocation of co. but now found out the ielts... So I can't afford to let them expire haha so yeah I will keep trying ielts. jump on the independent bandwagon everyone

Unfortunately I already have maximum points from IELTS. DIAC has given the opportunity to some people to change their points test scores with new IELTS results. Go for it if you can. I have explored many other options including ENS (need 1.5 years more experience), SkillSelect (have 75 points but job not in SOL), off list state nomination, etc

All the best to those changing subclasses...you will be reducing the backlog and will perhaps have the golden ticket in the end :)

I did not have 120 at the time of lodgement therefore i applied for 886, however about 7-8 weeks ago i got ielts 7.0 each and applied to change to 885, got subclass changes in 1 week and CO allocated after another weeks, been waiting for visa grant for another 5-6 weeks.

If you already have 120 now, you can put form changes of circumstance and ask them to change subclass, you will get case officer within 3 weeks from the date you submit your form

Hope this helps mate

Can i change from 487 FS to 885 as well after getting 7 each now???

I don't think that's possible. Asking an agent might help..

I don't think it is possible too. Visa subclasses starting with the number 4 are provisional (eg. 485, 496) and unlikely to be interchangeable with visa subclasses that start with number 8 (eg. 885,886) which are permanent.

Can anybody tell how much maximum points a person can gain by scoring IELTS 7.0 each?

I mean 5 or 10 points?

According to the old scoring system, all band 7.0 IELTS was worth 25 points. I know that for a fact cos I had an all band 8.0 and got 25 points.

Can i change from 487 FS to 885 as well after getting 7 each now???

No you can't change from sub class 487 to sub class 885, reason is they are different visa classes 487 is VC and 885 VB.

Prior to 1/7/10 when you applied fora visa it was a valid application for all sub classes in that visa class hence an application for a Class VB visa was for sub class 885 and 886 and for a Class VE visa sub class 175 and 176. In your form you indicated which sub class you believed you met criteria for and DIAC manage the application based on this. If you initially believed you only met say 886 or 176 criteria but now with changed circumstances e.g. higher IELTS score or completion of Australian Educational Qualifications, designated language skills etc that now mean you could pass points test for a 885 or 175 you can tell DIAC who will manage your application accordingly, i.e. if they have already allocated the Priority 5 885/175 cases for your date of application yours would be allocated when next Priority 5 are allocated.

If you applied after 1/7/10 you can't change your sub class as your application is only valid for one sub class within the Visa class.

No you can't change from sub class 487 to sub class 885, reason is they are different visa classes 487 is VC and 885 VB.

Prior to 1/7/10 when you applied fora visa it was a valid application for all sub classes in that visa class hence an application for a Class VB visa was for sub class 885 and 886 and for a Class VE visa sub class 175 and 176. In your form you indicated which sub class you believed you met criteria for and DIAC manage the application based on this. If you initially believed you only met say 886 or 176 criteria but now with changed circumstances e.g. higher IELTS score or completion of Australian Educational Qualifications, designated language skills etc that now mean you could pass points test for a 885 or 175 you can tell DIAC who will manage your application accordingly, i.e. if they have already allocated the Priority 5 885/175 cases for your date of application yours would be allocated when next Priority 5 are allocated.

If you applied after 1/7/10 you can't change your sub class as your application is only valid for one sub class within the Visa class.

Very good explanation Watcher

Archived