Childrens Car Seats

Guest Stella and Phil

Guest Stella and Phil

Hi,

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, so apologies if it's in the wrong section.

I was just wondering whether anyone would mind recommending which childs car seat to go for over in Australia please?

We'd like it to be a Group 1, 2, 3 (at least that's what they're called over here) so suitable from 9months until the child no longer needs a car seat, have side protection head rest and a 5 point harness.

Can anyone give me a pointer please?

hiya....

think you may need to purchase them once you arrive... something to do with Australian safety standards.... although in my opinion uk our ones are better... car seats are widely available in KMart, big W, Target etc... we are still using our uk child seats but will replace with legal ones soon.

Guest vicstick

Hi,

We are bringing our Uk car seats for the initial few days after we arrive as I figure that any seat is better then none, but, particularly for up to 18kg your child seats will need a tether strap on them which fix to a bolt in back of car in Oz. Apparently (and don't quote me) the older child booster seats (up to 7 years) don't have to have a tether strap but still have to be Aussie in origin.

V

Hi,

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, so apologies if it's in the wrong section.

I was just wondering whether anyone would mind recommending which childs car seat to go for over in Australia please?

We'd like it to be a Group 1, 2, 3 (at least that's what they're called over here) so suitable from 9months until the child no longer needs a car seat, have side protection head rest and a 5 point harness.

Can anyone give me a pointer please?

http://www.crep.com.au

Have a read through above website to see some of the ratings and test results. You'll be looking for forward facing seats and you want the convertible booster type. They're the most expensive type on the market, you'll be looking at approximately $250 I should think. I've got my twins in Infa Secure Racing Kid seats but I know a lot of mothers are keen on Safe n Sound Maxi Riders. Don't know how these compare to the UK as haven't been there for years and didn't have children when I was there either.

You can buy from most places, Target, Big W, Kmart, Toys r Us etc. I'd decide what you want first and then see where your nearest stockist is.

Hi,

We are bringing our Uk car seats for the initial few days after we arrive as I figure that any seat is better then none, but, particularly for up to 18kg your child seats will need a tether strap on them which fix to a bolt in back of car in Oz. Apparently (and don't quote me) the older child booster seats (up to 7 years) don't have to have a tether strap but still have to be Aussie in origin.

V

Is it worth bringing UK seats? If you can pre book a taxi from the airport and were going to hire a car initially for instance, then you should be able to get car seats organised with both. I haven't done it myself though so not sure how easy the taxi route would be, pretty sure the hire car would be easy.

Yes you need to have Australian car seats because they have to meet Australian safety standards and European seats won't have been tested for these. Obviously it doesn't mean that UK seats are unsafe or rubbish, however, you would invalidate any insurance by using a UK seat and probably would get fined if you were pulled over for any reason. Not worth the hassle, much easier to get an Australian seat.

I am on a bit of a learning curve on car seats here at the moment as i am due to have my first child in Sydney in August. The fittings appear to be different, safety standards different, they have never heard of ISOFIX and the tether thing seems to be a legal requirement for insurance purposes. That's what gets you in the end, that whatever you judge to be best is not necessarily covered by your car insurance here. Some hospitals even require a certificate of fitting from an authorised fitter before they let you take your baby home....!!!!

The previous poster was right in that you can pre-order child seats for a hire car as part of the package, and then when you get your own car if you haven't found anything locally to buy there are lots of hire companies for child seats, you either go to them or they can come and fit at your home. If I were you I would leave the UK ones behind, these are big items to try to bring with you if you are talking about bringing them on the plane, then go to one of the baby shops here and quiz them about all the fittings and options. You can then either buy new here, buy second-hand or rent, whatever suits you.

Hi, we have the Safe 'n' Sound Maxi Rider Convertible Booster Seat for our two. Our youngest is still within the weight range for the built in harness (she is 3.5 years and around 15.5kg), but our eldest is outside the max weight range for the built in harness (she is 5.5yrs and about 19kg). For our eldest, we also purchased a separate five point harness that tethers on to the bolt in the boot where the tether strap goes. The shoulder bits come through the top slots in the car seat, then the cars seat belt threads through the shoulder harness and on to an anti-submarining clip which fastens on the crotch strap of the car seat, and then the seat belt fastens in to the usual place. I seem to remember they were pretty expensive when we bought them ($300+, probably nearer $400 each I think), but we have been happy with them.

Guest vicstick
Is it worth bringing UK seats? If you can pre book a taxi from the airport and were going to hire a car initially for instance, then you should be able to get car seats organised with both. I haven't done it myself though so not sure how easy the taxi route would be, pretty sure the hire car would be easy.

Yes you need to have Australian car seats because they have to meet Australian safety standards and European seats won't have been tested for these. Obviously it doesn't mean that UK seats are unsafe or rubbish, however, you would invalidate any insurance by using a UK seat and probably would get fined if you were pulled over for any reason. Not worth the hassle, much easier to get an Australian seat.

I agree but hubby attached to them and we will need them on return visits to UK. Also when we were in Oz last year the hire seat was no where near what I would consider "safe" and in the first Taxi they wouldn't allow my 13 month old to sit on my lap, he had to sit on his own seat with a normal strap!

V

I agree but hubby attached to them and we will need them on return visits to UK. and in the first Taxi they wouldn't allow my 13 month old to sit on my lap, he had to sit on his own seat with a normal strap!

V

Couldnt you leave them in the UK with a relative so that you can still use them when visiting?

Also when we were in Oz last year the hire seat was no where near what I would consider "safe"V

I have hired a baby capsule from a company that hires out car seats, and when I enquired about the one I wanted, a maxi cosi one which is just out here, they were out of stock of it but arranged to buy one in, so I am the first to use it, and have hired it for 6 months. So I get a brand new car seat, the exact one I've researched and like, for about a third of the price of buying it. Couldnt you research the one you would be happy with and do the work in advance to ensure that its the one you hire?

Guest vicstick
Couldnt you leave them in the UK with a relative so that you can still use them when visiting?

I have hired a baby capsule from a company that hires out car seats, and when I enquired about the one I wanted, a maxi cosi one which is just out here, they were out of stock of it but arranged to buy one in, so I am the first to use it, and have hired it for 6 months. So I get a brand new car seat, the exact one I've researched and like, for about a third of the price of buying it. Couldnt you research the one you would be happy with and do the work in advance to ensure that its the one you hire?

Oh yes thats a good idea I'll have a hunt round. It's weird when your brain stops working with the stress of it all!! 4 weeks today till we fly

V

Archived