Hints & Tips for Moving to Perth...4 weeks in!!

Guest Burns Clan

Guest perth42

Great update again burns clan... We leave the UK a week today for Perth and are stopping with some friends in joondalup before we find a rental as I am straight into work on 15th august and hoping the hubby can get some temp work ASAP on arrival. Soon as we get a rental sorted then my mums booking her flight and will hopefully be arriving in time to give us a hand with the shipment!!! It's all very exciting!!

Where does your hubby work(location)? As I'm not sure if to use the car down the freeway or the train as it's so stress free!! Also how long is it taking him with the train bus combo? I need to get from joondalup to bentley and don't fancy 2hrs on the freeway each way.

Cheers

Lou

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your updates! I am also from Glasgow and planning the big move! I have 2 girls aged 6 and 4 and they are my biggest worry! My husband is a painter/decorator and I am self employed and have a Glasgow pub! I also get my BAcc Accounting degree in January, and hoping to move asap after that!

Truth is, I don't know where to start! We are planning on coming over for 2 weeks in November to look at areas, schools, etc so the transition is easier for the kids!

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks x

Guest Crosby Family
Hi thats grt news. The house was sold just as we moved out so not sure if any changes have been made etc, however the house was fine, it has a lovely pool area etc, it only has one TV!! which caused some fights with our kids! The cpoking facilities were a bit tired etc chipped plates and stuff but did the job for a few weeks to get settled. again not sure if that stuff has been changed etc. Location is fine very handy for parks, beach and clarkson train station( 5-10 min drive_), there is also a Coles supermarket 5 min up the road in Butler. The bedrooms etc were okay, basic but there was plenty of room and we found we were out a lot exploring the area etc so did the job.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for your reply, I think we are going to go ahead with the rental as other quotes were in the region of 900 dollars plus which is to expensive for short term. Im glad to hear you are setteling into oz life and that you now have your own place. Your posts are of great help to thoes of us moving to Perth, We are both nervous and excited and our Son is soooooo excited , cant yet belive we are leaving in 8wks ,we have so much to do ,im lost as to were to start.

Thanks again,

Best Wishes

Muriel

• 3 weeks later...

After Arriving:

• We hired a car for first 2 weeks - this was fine and cost us around $30 a day so not too bad - We have since bought a car on finance rather than outright to ensure we have a credit rating in Oz, no issues with this as long as you can prove your job, visa and bank details etc

Your post is great, if your still giving advice I would love to know who you went to regarding finance for your car, My husband 2 children and I fly out in 3 weeks so this is of great interest to us.

Thanks again

This is fantastic thank you, we are moving out this time next year so trying to gather as much information as possible, don't suppose you've been to Secret Harbour have you?

Sounds like you are enjoying yoursleves which is great too,

thanks you x

hello, i noticed ur just round the corner from us here in the uk and we too are hopefully going to secret harbour area around march/may time so may see you there....

good luck:smile:

Guest annie0310

Hi all - and thanks for the very informative post, very useful !!!

We (myself, husband, 2 girls aged 10 and 6) will be arriving in Perth (from Scotland) in January, got our PR visas a few weeks ago !!

We are looking for a rental property to see us for a few weeks to let us find something more permanent. We really want a pool, but this seems to make it VERY expensive. The best we have managed to come up with after scouring the net is going to cost us almost $1000 a week, plus a $1000 bond !! EEEEEK !!! That's a healthy chunk of cash to be parting with !

In terms of longer term rentals its pretty difficult too. Again, we really want a pool (to make it easier to cope with high temps outdoors, and enjoy the sunshine!!), but trying to get something that is central for myself and my husband commuting is very hard. I'll be in Joondalup, hubby will be south east of Perth, so somewhere in the middle, or even out towards the country a bit would be perfect. It aint gonna be cheap though !

Can I just ask, how many people have pools at their rental properties, and how many don't ? And do you think it is important to have one ? Would be nice to hear the opinions of others. It seems like an important thing to me, but wondering if I am being unreasonable, as so many houses don't seem to have them.

Once again, thanks for the info :)

Hi all - and thanks for the very informative post, very useful !!!

We (myself, husband, 2 girls aged 10 and 6) will be arriving in Perth (from Scotland) in January, got our PR visas a few weeks ago !!

We are looking for a rental property to see us for a few weeks to let us find something more permanent. We really want a pool, but this seems to make it VERY expensive. The best we have managed to come up with after scouring the net is going to cost us almost $1000 a week, plus a $1000 bond !! EEEEEK !!! That's a healthy chunk of cash to be parting with !

In terms of longer term rentals its pretty difficult too. Again, we really want a pool (to make it easier to cope with high temps outdoors, and enjoy the sunshine!!), but trying to get something that is central for myself and my husband commuting is very hard. I'll be in Joondalup, hubby will be south east of Perth, so somewhere in the middle, or even out towards the country a bit would be perfect. It aint gonna be cheap though !

Can I just ask, how many people have pools at their rental properties, and how many don't ? And do you think it is important to have one ? Would be nice to hear the opinions of others. It seems like an important thing to me, but wondering if I am being unreasonable, as so many houses don't seem to have them.

Once again, thanks for the info :)

we will be looking for something without a pool only due to our children being young and adventurous!! (buy the time were in auz in 2012 they will be 3 and 4 and i would feel really on edge with a pool)

Your children are older so a pool would sound good :yes:

we will be looking for something without a pool only due to our children being young and adventurous!! (buy the time were in auz in 2012 they will be 3 and 4 and i would feel really on edge with a pool)

Your children are older so a pool would sound good :yes:

Just make sure if it has a pool it is fully fenced, the new houses are like that and the kids can't get in. My youngest was 3 when we arrived and we have a pool.

Guest gill1362

Hi Burns Clan - just a quick question about the Catholic school - was it hard get them in? I was looking at the enrollement policy for a primary school SOR and it said u had to get a reference from your parish priest and attend interview with said priest - had u to do this?

Great post really useful!

My partner is coming out on a 457 visa in a few weeks and is moving to mandurah, do you know what this area is like, it looks beautiful on the internet but you never know.

Im trying to find him a cheap rental, fully furnished to get him settled till i come over in around 9 months. Did you get a holiday rental for 6 weeks?

I was concerned about him not having credit history so not being able to get a car but he's going to try public transport and cycling so ill see how long that lasts! but at least he should be able to get a car fairly quick if needed. Im going to set up an oz bank account asap for him as apparently this helps?

Im trying to work out what he will need for household bills and shopping but its difficult to work it out i guess we'll just have to over estimate.

Thanks again

This is fantastic thank you, we are moving out this time next year so trying to gather as much information as possible, don't suppose you've been to Secret Harbour have you?

Sounds like you are enjoying yoursleves which is great too,

thanks you x

Hi Shiny21,

We went on holiday to Perth in April 2011 and visited secret harbour on our way to Mandurah. All I can say is WOW it had it's own school, shops, Golf course, beach etc.. etc.. it looked loveley. On the down side you would probably have a long communte to say Perth for jobs etc. If your looking at a job down that way then great, but it did look a little isolated when compared to North of perth, but that's just my opinion !!

Hope that helps.

Chris

My job starts in about 6 weeks and my famility will follow as soon as our house sells, our children are 10 6 and 1 , and we are looking to move to the jindalee/butler area, what primary schools are good , we heard the one at Butler is? have you heard any thing about this, and how did you go about enrolling them

My son aged 10 has just started in Butler Primary a few weeks ago and is loving it..

Very friendly and also really easy to get him enrolled.. Went in one day and started the next!!!

Guest lookingforachange

Hi

My Partner and 2 yr old are in the process of moving to Perth. He has to go over for 3 months on probation.I am really finding this website very helpfull as there is so much to concider.I have been to Perth 10 yrs ago for a few weeks travelling as we do when we where young. I never thought I would be living there. I would like to ask is it easy to settle and has anyone ever had regrets.

Guest tina1970

Hi

I am moving to Australia next June on a work visa. I will be bring my 8 year old and husband out with me too. I am moving to mandurah and I am just wondering how expensive is it for before and afterschool care and is there plently available:biggrin:

Guest dannywh
Hi

I thought I would share our experiences from our first 4 weeks in Perth, some of it may be useful and some not but these are things that we have encountered since we arrived.

My husband and our 3 children 11,8 & 5 arrived on the 30th of May, we had arranged a few things before arriving so I will try and break it down into the "what we done" and "what we wished we had done".

Before arrival:

• We booked a 6 week furnished rental, to give us time to find a more permanent rental. - This worked out well and we are due to move into our new unfurnished rental in a week.

• Shipped some boxes of stuff over although not our furniture - wish I had brought more stuff with us as we have had to go and buy beds, tables, sofa's the lot, having said that prices for stuff like that seems quite reasonable and there are end of season sales on at this time of year so bargains to be had.

• Job - my husband had a job offer before we left the UK, however we did not get any relocation etc as most companies are nervous about doing this as they have been burnt before so they will look to tie you in for a couple of years if they do give a relocation package.

After Arriving:

• We hired a car for first 2 weeks - this was fine and cost us around $30 a day so not too bad - We have since bought a car on finance rather than outright to ensure we have a credit rating in Oz, no issues with this as long as you can prove your job, visa and bank details etc

• We are living in Quinns for first 6 weeks which is nice but a good 10 min drive to the train station and school in Clarkson - so new rental is in Clarkson for a lesser commute.

• We got the kids enrolled in a Private Catholic School - which works out at around $3000 pa for all 3 - what we didnt account for was the cost and strictness of the school uniforms with just the winter uniforms costing $400+. We then had to buy all their books including jotters and stationary which then came to roughly $100 per child!! Biggest hurdle was getting the kids to wear the black school shoes lol

General observations:

• Its harder to get a contract mobile than it is to buy a car!!

• Make sure your first rental has broadband or you will like us have to use a mobile dongle- hopeless !! and you need the internet to research houses etc!

• Be prepared for the cost of things - it is expensive compared with the UK for most things eg bananas x 4 $10!,! chocolate bars - $3, beer x24 bottles $50, on the other hand a bottle of Jacobs creek rose $7, steaks/butcher meat etc are quite cheap.

• Supermarkets - they stock a lot of brands that you recognise but they dont open late especially at the weekends with most closing at 4 - 5pm

• Train service and Bus service - are very good with regular trains and spotlessly clean - takes about 30 mins to get into the CBD from Clarkson ( last station on the Joondalup line)

• Weather is lovely during the day just now at around 22 degrees, however gets very chilly at night and the houses are designed to be cool so can be a bit cold!

• Bring all your clothes, shoes, boots etc with you, as not a great selection here and for up to date styles can be a bit expensive!

• High school - they all do it differntly and you need to enrol well in advance of the kids leaving primary.

• Lots of great things to do and places to go with the kids, parks, zoo etc

• Drivers Licence & Medicare - very easy to do, just need to go in and fill out forms with some ID, passport, visa etc and you get a temp card/ licence and then a week or so later your permanent one arrives in the post.

Nice Areas (in my opinion):

To be fair most areas we have looked at are lovely and have lots of positives, however we are trying to be handy for a train station and the school and the beach!!

Mindarie - north, close to marina

Clarkson - north, good transport, 10 min drive from beach

Butler - north

Quinns Rock - north, near beach

Kinross - north

Jindalee - north, near beach

Mullaloo - near beach

Ocean Reef- near beach

Sorrento - near beach

Subiaco - near CBD

All are lovely and we will be hard pushed to decide where we will buy/build! and of course the closer to the CBD or the beach the more expensive the house!!

I hope this helps someone out there and if i think of anything else i will add it, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask on here or pm me.

Cheers

PS apologies if this is boring and or useless!!:biggrin:

Really useful, thanks alot. Particularly the areas you listed and the schools etc, well all of it really. Im at the early stages of application and the more i read, the more i want it.

thanks

dan

Guest dannywh
School - we went with St Andrews Catholic Primary in Clarkson, its a lovely school and they take non - catholics also, there is a huge choice of schools and lots of really good state schools also, just depends what you are looking for.

Our kids have settled in really well and I guess that has made it easier for us, I think the parents worry more about the kids than they need to ( same the world over!) kids are really resilient and tend to make friends really easily, my eldest son has been out loads and made great friends through his football team and school.

We have now moved into our long term rental and have had most of our furniture delivered, our boxes should arrive next week ....I know I am going to open them and think why did i bring all this crap with me lol

I feel more settled now that i know i will be in this house for a while, we managed to get our Foxtel installed and phone etc really easy to do all of this just need to keep buying more furniture to fill the extra rooms!! Have to say all the furniture we have bought has been really good quality when it arrived and all of it was pre- assembled only had to get the beds together ...so that was good.

Sorry if I have forgotten anything ....give me a shout if you have any questions.

Cheers

C

hi,

random question. Can you get premier league football on tv fox sport etc?

Thanks for such informative posts!! Its really reassuring to read how well you are getting on. We are in the process of get WA state sponsorship and will need to verify before finally moving out in 2013-ish but all your posts have reassured me that we are making the right move especially for our girls who are now aged 2 & 4. Hope you keep posting as time progresses please! :smile:

i haven't read all the post sorry forgive me if somebody has said the same thing.

we have lived in Secret Harbour and although its nice its quiet and doesn't offer anything different as for the beach you tend to goto the beach in the car because of carrying everything i.e. eskys and towels and everything else so being 10 minutes as to 5 minutes away makes no difference and its overpriced no offence to people who live i have great friends there you should be careful where you live in relation to where you work the freeways north and south into the city are bad the trains are good but not as good as over east so i keep getting told lol

work for trades is very slow at the moment

bananas are expensive at the moment because the crops got wiped out earlier this year and australia don't import bananas due to contamination risk so the price will drop

as for cost of living yes it is higher but you get paid more and this is exaggerated by the low value of the pound

there are some lovely suburbs north and south of the river but it depends more on the friends you make and your immediate neighbours just remember its a different country they may speak a form of english but its not england and things are done differently here some things good and some things just so behind

as for phones and internet Telstra have the monopoly here most firms use there network so not much difference in service coverage we use vodafone which works well we did use mobile broadband for 2 years which was ok

any body want to know anything feel free to ask

Guest CNEALE100

Great information, many thanks. We are hoping to be in Perth early next year. My children and I are Australian and we are about to send off my hubby's spouse visa application How did you decide on location for your first rental? We have 3 children, 4, 2 and 22 weeks and am a bit confused.

Cx

What i mean is that house building is at a 9 year low ,retail sector is suffering big time and engineering is suffering Perth is in a recession if you take out the mining but the future is looking bright a lot of commercial development in perth itself starting population increasing putting a lot of pressure on rentals ,i know floor layers,bricks,electricians that are struggling i also know some that are doing very well indeed sometimes its just a case of being in the right place at the right time and just getting a few of the right contacts i just don't think its fair letting people think that you come to perth and everyone is begging to give you a job because its just not like that it can be tough but if your determined enough you can make it but its not easy street at all,i'm a floor layer and i know guys that haven't worked for 3 weeks but i also know firms that have plenty of work so i keep busy life can be good here but its not a holiday .

Guest Burns Clan

hi Guys sorry it has been a while since I have updated or answered your questions!!! I will try and help with as many as I can, but if I havent answered your question then please pm me and I will try and answer!!

The reason I havent been on is that I have started work!!! I started a couple of weeks ago and I am commuting from clarkson to the city. I have to say i am impressed by the reliability of public transport, the trains are always on time and come almost every 5 minutes, the only down side is that they can be really busy at peak time and means people who get on after edgewater tend to have to stand and vice versa on the way back you need to stand for part or all of the journey> It takes around 35 mins to get from Clarkson to Perth City on the Joondalup line and costs around $10 dollars per day.

In terms of the questions people have asked here goes:

1.Premiership Footie on Foxtel - yes and we also have Setanta which gets the scottish games too

2. Catholic School Priest reference - that was on the form but as long as the kids are catholics we didnt need to get the priest to fill out!

3. In terms of jobs , I have found that there were lots of opportunities available and my husband has now got another new job, so provided you have a skill then there are jobs there.

4. Deciding on an area to live - we took into account school, train station, beach etc

Hang on I am going to go back and see the other questions !!

Archived