Importing My Dog?

Guest UK2Perth

Guest UK2Perth

Hi

Has anyone looked into exporting/importing their pets? I believe there is a form to complete and have had a quick look. They are asking for the export & import contact details and I was wondering if anyone knows the best way of finding out about the export & import companies. I'm aware I need a pet import pass and have an application form to complete but that's about it! By the way if anyone is thinking of exporting their pets there is a waiting list of 5 months!

Jo x

Guest UK2Perth

Hi The Bradburns,

It's a nightmare, they have to have blood tests, rabies injections and a microchip fitted. There is a 5 months waiting list to book them in quarantine at the other side so it may delay our departure! They need an import permit to take them to Oz. Look at www.agis.gov.au for more info. It will cost around £1500 - £2k to ship him I rekon

Jo x

Jo x

Guest UK2Perth

I will find out some more information for you as my OH exported his boxer who spent 30 days in quarentine. My head is so mashed with visa stuff, I forgot what he said about shipping the dog. It's worse because he hasn't had email access sice he's been there and we have to keep phonecalls short as you can imagine! I will see what I can find out for you from someone who has experienced it!

Jo x

Thanks jo,

what a bummer about the 5 month wait. Especially for the people who are ready for the off, especially those who have sold their houses. I hope it does cost between 1 1/2 - 2k, we were led to believe it would cost us around 3 1/2 k. Thank again Jo, you've been very helpful and kind for finding out the information for me. Lisa.

Hiya

We are going to use Golden Arrow Pet Shippers for our 2 Retrievers. They have quoted £4300 for the two.

They have just sent off for their import permits. They do almost everything, all we have to do is make sure their vaccinations are up to date and they are microchipped, then 4 weeks before they fly we have to take them to our vets for the blood tests. Golden Arrow will supply the paper work for this so our vet knows what he's doing.

We were also told that the quarentine station in Sydney doesnt have a waiting list, hope this is right as we're leaving on the 9th Dec and they aren't booked in yet (cant book them in til the import permits are back).:shocked:

Sam xx

Guest UK2Perth

Thanks Sam

That's put my mind at ease... If you read the government Aus websites, they say 5 months waiting list which is where I got that from... I will certainly have a look at Golden Arrow, my dog's vaccinations are 'up to date' and he is chipped. I was dreading having to sort everything out for him as well as us. I would check with them about the waiting list though as I spoke to my OH this morning in Perth and he said I would be waiting around 5 months.. I want to be out there in 4 so I may need to put him in a kennel which I don't really want to do. It upsets me as well that whilst in quarentine, visiting is only Mon-Fri between 9-1 so if I'm working and my daughter is at school we won't see him for a month :(

Perth is a lot busier than Sydney but Golden Arrow said the wait there had gone down a bit but this was a few months ago now.

You can apply for the permit yourself or Golden Arrow will do it for you. You cant book the station though til you have it.

Golden Arrow werent the cheapest quote but they do it all and they are only about 30 miles from us so we will be able to take the dogs to them before we go. Just hope the blood tests are ok.

Also, the flights get booked up before and after Christmas as they dont fly for 2 wks over Christmas so I just hope we can get them on a flight too!

Just something else to worry about, aye!

Sam xx

Guest UK2Perth

I know tell me about it! You can't book the flight either can you until the import has come back and everything is okay! My OH flew on the same flight as his dog as they went Quantas from Heathrow and we live nearer to Manchester so it was easier for them to go on the same flight! Of course Christmas time will be busy, I'd best get my skates on eh! :)

Jo I know you're coming to Perth - Byford quarantine isn't very large and gets booked up very early so book well in advance. We enquired last august and the first available date was December. We used a company called pets on the move who did all the paper work for us

Ali

Guest UK2Perth

I know that's where Bruce was and we went to pick him up there. I didn't see many kennels and am just asking for online quotes at the minute thanks x

Hi The Bradburns,

It's a nightmare, they have to have blood tests, rabies injections and a microchip fitted. There is a 5 months waiting list to book them in quarantine at the other side so it may delay our departure! They need an import permit to take them to Oz. Look at www.agis.gov.au for more info. It will cost around £1500 - £2k to ship him I rekon

Jo x

We shipped our Rottwieller over here, the cost for the shipping was 2700 pounds. (The cost depends on the size of the animal). It didnt include the quarentine cost once over here and the cost for the blood tests, rabies injection etc. I think the cost for the 30 day quarantine was about $650 which you have to pay once you are here.

Hope this helps.

Deb

Just recieved a letter from Golden Arrow, dogs booked on flight on 8th Dec and will arrive in Sydney 10th December.

We dont arrive in Sydney til 4th Jan which means we have 4 days to find somewhere to live that excepts pets or they'll have to stay in kennels:cry:.

Oh well at least there must be a place for them in quarentine which is good news.

Sam x

Guest UK2Perth

Hi Sam,

At least your dog is booked in sooner rather than later which must put your mind at ease. My OH had 2 days to find a rented property which accepted dogs which was available to rent straight away and it's nice which is good! Would you mind passing me the contact details for Golden Arrow please as I can't seem to locate them on Google? Ali, will check out 'pets on the move' as well thanks chuck x

Guest yvonne & paul

hi all,

We have just bought our 2 dogs over with pets on the move they charged us 3200.00 pound and picked up at our house. They went to Sydney which is large so not much notice needed although others are alot smaller so need notice. We were then charged for the quarantine this end about 700.00 pound and then had to arrange a flight from Sydney to sunshine coast. Pets on the move gave us their agent here who arranged the flight about 450.00 pound so tatal 4200.00 pound for 2 dogs.

Before hand you need to get the import permits and injections and blood tests done at specific times an d then a vet cert within 96 hours of flying. You do not need rabies.

We found it quite stressful because of problems with boosters etc ( look me up and read my posts) but i can say it was well worth it in the end . They arrived well and good.

Just make sure if you leave your dog in kennels before you go you need to make sure you have someone to do all the tests at the vet at the right time. Also check with you pet agent if the cost includes delivery from kennels in oz to your new home as alot do not so you will need like us to pay extra once here.

Anything specific anyone wants to know just ask and i will help if i can.

Good luck

Yvonne

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Has anyone looked into exporting/importing their pets? I believe there is a form to complete and have had a quick look. They are asking for the export & import contact details and I was wondering if anyone knows the best way of finding out about the export & import companies. I'm aware I need a pet import pass and have an application form to complete but that's about it! By the way if anyone is thinking of exporting their pets there is a waiting list of 5 months!

Jo x

Hi there

We moved to Tassie just over a year ago and brought with us our 2 jack russells, we used a company in Newmarket,

Pinehawk Kennels

Church Road

Carlton

Newmarket

Suffolk

CB8 9LA

Tel 01223 290249

Fax 01223 290449

Andy is the owner and I cannot praise him enough, they are my wife's babies and he is a font of knowledge and will sort out any problems you have, it is expensive whoever you use, but we could'nt have left them.!

Colin R

Archived