New points test - 175 visa - qualification

Guest Bellaboo

Guest Bellaboo

Hi

Myself and my husband have decided to move to Australia and have done a lot of research so far to work out the best way to get there. However, we have a couple of questions I hope somebody can help us with?

We are looking to apply for an independent 175 visa with hubby as the main applicant and myself as a secondary applicant. We plan to do this post-1st July under the new points test.

My hubby is a qualified accountant and has worked in the industry since he qualified 15 years ago. He is ACCA qualified with no degree. This is where our confusion lies.

With regards to the amount of points available for education, can anyone advise whether ACCA would qualify for the 10 points under the new scheme? We have read the release from DIAC that states that 10 points are allocated for an "award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation".

We have had an initial chat with a migration agent who cannot confirm what this means and if ACCA would qualify for these 10 points, although they did say that ICAA would give a positive skills assessment.

Does this in itself mean that the 10 points will be awarded?

Apologies for the long-winded post - I wanted to set the scene accurately!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Guest robnnic

Hi Bellaboo,

First of all congratulations on making the life changing decision, we are all here to help and support each other as we are either in the visa process...or have all ready made the move.

I don't know the answer to your question, but could he do the ielts to gain the extra points?

Hope this helps

Nic.x.

Guest Bellaboo

Thank you for your reply!

The point he would get are as follows:

Age (39 yrs) - 25

IELTS (level 8) - 20

Overseas skilled employment (max available of 8 out of last 10 years) - 15

This gives us 60 points - so 5 points short.

Obviously we could go down the state sponsorship route and are prepared to do this - but we are keen to confirm whether it is possible we could get the independent 175 visa first.

Hi Bellaboo

I am in exactly the same position as your husband, am ACCA qualified 10+ years and without the qualification points am at 60 points under the new system. I have received a positive assessment from the ICAA for my ACCA qualification in which they stated it was "comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree".

I too was worried about the points as currently I don't qualify for a 175 but my agent clarified at a DIAC meeting last week that if your qualification gets you a positive skills assessment then this qualifies you for the 10 points. As the ACCA is recognised by the ICAA as comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree then the DIAC agent said it was more than likely 15 points could be claimed but was not certain on this so worst case 10 points best case 15 points !

My application is going in on 1st July, good luck with yours !

Hi

Myself and my husband have decided to move to Australia and have done a lot of research so far to work out the best way to get there. However, we have a couple of questions I hope somebody can help us with?

We are looking to apply for an independent 175 visa with hubby as the main applicant and myself as a secondary applicant. We plan to do this post-1st July under the new points test.

My hubby is a qualified accountant and has worked in the industry since he qualified 15 years ago. He is ACCA qualified with no degree. This is where our confusion lies.

With regards to the amount of points available for education, can anyone advise whether ACCA would qualify for the 10 points under the new scheme? We have read the release from DIAC that states that 10 points are allocated for an "award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation".

We have had an initial chat with a migration agent who cannot confirm what this means and if ACCA would qualify for these 10 points, although they did say that ICAA would give a positive skills assessment.

Does this in itself mean that the 10 points will be awarded?

Apologies for the long-winded post - I wanted to set the scene accurately!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

When you get your skills assessed I can highly recommend using CPA.

I too an am accountant (ACA) and was really impressed witH the folks at CPA. They were well informed and extremely helpful in guiding me through the skills assessment process. I don't have the number to hand but they are based in London and just next door to Australia house. Ask for Theresa and she will run you through the process.

You will need to have your English test results before you submit the application and remember that you need the academic IELTS test not the general one. Worth getting the sample test paper book as the test can be tricky, even for a native speaker.

Jay

Guest Bellaboo

Hi Foxy

Thank you for your email!

Did the DIAC agent suggest that the ACCA qualification would definitely get you the 10 points, if not 15?

We're not sure whether to pay out for the English test and the skills assessment if the points will not be allocated, but if they have said that you will definitely get at least 10 points then that would be sufficient!

Jay - thank you for your advice!

Thanks again!

Hi Bellaboo

Yes my agent is certain that we get at least the 10 points and I can only tell you what I have been told !

I have seen ICAA give negative assessments for other qualifications such as economics / accountancy degrees etc as they do not fulfull all of the criteria required to be an accountant which ACCA does. You do have to send them all your transcripts though which details everything covered in all the papers your husband sat which took me a while to get together but ACCA are really helpful when you tell them you want to migrate.

If you look on the DIAC website under the "whats new" section it gives a breakdown of the new points system and for the qualification section states that 10 points are given for an "award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation".

This is a broad cover for all occupations which basically means that if the qualification you submit to your assessing authority gives you a positive assessment then you get the 10 points and an ACCA qualification gets you a positive assessment from the ICAA and the CPA.

Also as JB076 stated you need the academic IELTS also. I had no problem with getting all 9's and I am guessing neither will your husband. I registered with a site called Scotts English for 30 days, cost about 50 dollars. You can get sample tests from it so I did this for two weeks prior to my test, they are easy enough it's just that you have to get your mentality back into the time constrained tests as there is a lot to do in a very short space of time so I would recommend doing some practice tests under timed conditions ! It was a long time ago when I last sat exams so needed to practice a bit and it helps to see the style of the papers so you know what to expect ! You do have to book your test in advance and I had to wait for over a month for availability so if you are going to do it then get booked in asap as where I sat mine ran a limited timetable over the summer as it was at my local Uni !

Good luck !

Archived