Bristish Gas Engineer needing advice

jodieredd

Hi all, I am a Britsh Gas engineer looking for some answers please.

All the information on various forums is confusing me. I am a fully trained gas service/repair engineer for BG and am hoping to move to Australia in the near future. My wife has an Australian passport so I would be entering on a spouses permit. The information I am getting is that my qualifications are not being recognised in Aus and I would have to sit various exams? Also hearing that the wages aren't very good.

Does anybody actually know for sure what the laws are in Victoria (where we are looking to move)? Can somebody perhaps give me contact details of associations that can give me the correct info and companies that employ people like myself?

Thanks in advance

Craig

progress.gif :arghh:

Guest siamsusie

All the information on various forums is confusing me. I am a fully trained gas service/repair engineer for BG and am hoping to move to Australia in the near future. My wife has an Australian passport so I would be entering on a spouses permit. The information I am getting is that my qualifications are not being recognised in Aus and I would have to sit various exams? Also hearing that the wages aren't very good.

Does anybody actually know for sure what the laws are in Victoria (where we are looking to move)? Can somebody perhaps give me contact details of associations that can give me the correct info and companies that employ people like myself?

Thanks in advance

Craig

Hi Craig and welcome to Poms In Oz.

I have had a search for you.. see this link http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/98848-gas-fitters.html.. it is probably more for fitters than engineering, but it might give you a few pointers.

http://www.seek.com.au/

http://mycareer.com.au/jobs/-/mining-oil-gas/oil-gas-engineering/

http://www.jobserve.com.au/South/Australia/Oil/and/Gas/Engineering/Jobs.htm

http://westjobs.com.au/JobSeeker/gorgon_oil_gas_mining.html

The time frame off shore UK for a 309 de facto visa is around 4/5/6 months

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/58449-summary-spouse-visa-processing-times-offshore-uk-please-add-your-stats-356.html

I also enclose the link for our sister site http://www.lifeinvictoria.com/

Hopefully a few of these links help.

Best wishes Susie.

Guest mdeejacks
Thanks Susie,

Have looked through some of the job sites but they are mainly looking for gas fitter/plumber combinations which is not the same.

Still don't know if my qualications would be accepted in Australia.

i'm the same as you, i got gas tickets coming out of my a**e but that does not translate ove there. It's case of taking a step backwards to come forwards. do you have any plumbing experience as i went for a plumber as my trade although i am not time served and done the practical easily.

let me know if you need any more info

cheers

jack

Jack, got some basic plumbing experience but nothing concrete and no papers for it! Whats the wages like? I was told there were homes with gas central heating but there seems to be no jobs to reflect that!

You working ok? Did you get work relatively quickly?

Cheers

Craig

Guest mdeejacks
Jack, got some basic plumbing experience but nothing concrete and no papers for it! Whats the wages like? I was told there were homes with gas central heating but there seems to be no jobs to reflect that!

You working ok? Did you get work relatively quickly?

Cheers

Craig

sorry craig, i may have misled you. i'm still in the uk but have gone down the plumbing route. i'm doing maintenance work at the moment which involves some plumbing, hot and cold water systems ventilation and such and that pays somewhere in the region of $70,000 which aint bad really. as for plumbing/gas i'm not 100% certain but i am lead to believe most of it is done as a self employed tupe basis. i was told this at an aussie convention this weekend just gone in bristol.

they would not accept my gas either so i went down the plumbing route and i have evidence of doing this for over 10 years which they liked.

i'm just waiting for WA to accept a state sponsor for me then i can apply for main DIAC visa.

hope this helps

jack

Oh no probs. I obviously don't have the issues with visas etc but dont want to arrive out there only to find that I cannot get any work for my trade.

$70,000 is more realistic and manageble if I could fetch that sort of wage.... My wife won't be working to start with as we have a wee one and would need to get him settled first. Anything less than that would be pushing it from what I can see! Cost of living (especially rental) seems to be really high!

Would be great to secure a job before we get there!!

You are helping ta

Guest mdeejacks
Oh no probs. I obviously don't have the issues with visas etc but dont want to arrive out there only to find that I cannot get any work for my trade.

$70,000 is more realistic and manageble if I could fetch that sort of wage.... My wife won't be working to start with as we have a wee one and would need to get him settled first. Anything less than that would be pushing it from what I can see! Cost of living (especially rental) seems to be really high!

Would be great to secure a job before we get there!!

You are helping ta

I'm not sure what stage you are at but if you have the time, try to get to an aussie expo where there can be opportunities to speak to potential employers and sucure a job before you go which would be ideal and this is obnviously what i would like to do too.

i believe the cost of living is high but everthing is relative, i'm also counting on that type of money as i also have a little one and my missus would also be a kept woman(but not for long i hope).

good luck

jack

• 2 weeks later...
Guest humpy

Have a look at all my previous posts, I'm a gasfitter based on Gold Coast, you can earn good money gasfitting, i do. It used to be easy to get your gas licence but things have changed now and you have to go back to college and pay money out. Licensing is different in each state but this will change next year when a National licence comes in, not sure how they will do it then. Nobody knows. I wouldn't bother with the expos, I learnt nothing, the info they gave a work colleague before he came out was well wrong. They are good if your into Nursing, Engineering or very in demand jobs, not your every day tradesman

Guest Count Zero

Craig

Craig,

You would not be called an engineer here. There are rigid barriers between trades and engineers here that can not be easily crossed, we don't have the same flexibility that allows trades to progress to engineers here.

Guest lee t

When you first get here you will be given a provisional registration in most cat's for a year which will enable you to work under a licenced plumber but not gas you will have to sit you exams to get registration still have to work under a licenced person. Within that year you will have to retrain or sit you plumbing exams to get registration there are many feilds within plumbing in oz which is in the region of $1160 exams only then there is licenced exams if you are thinking of going self employed on top of that plus business training.

As for pay you have to prove you are good at the job and up to speed to start earning the money your talking of. Work is very diffrent here to the uk swap your pipe cutters u gauge and multimeter for tin snips, shovel and drain jetta.

Only my experiance just a little insight to work here pm if you want any more info.

All the best..

Hi Humpy,

Thanks for the info, what kind of work have you managed to get on the gold coast? We have been looking into Melbourne as there seems to be a bit more there by way of gas central heating jobs. I have just sent my licence/registration forms to PIC in Melbourne so fingers crossed on that one.

Haven't ruled out any other areas in Aus as we would go where ever the work was!

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Humpy. I thought I had replied to you but obviously somethings gone wrong!

What kind of Gas work are you doing in the Gold Coast? I have applied for my Plumbing licence in Victoria and am waiting to hear back from them.

Getting lots of good advise on here though :0)

Guest dt1234565

I probably shouldn't post here, as I dont know what I am talking about! But it sounds to me like its just the same as here, you have to study and pay for a course so you can be the Assie equivalent of Corgi/Gas Safe registered which costs a few quid here as well.

My Husband has run his own Plumbing business for over 20 years, is gas safe registered and qualified in most types of plumbing although he does mostly domestic work in the UK. He earns good money here but not sure what his earning would be in Aus, we think he will need to work for less money than his on here till he is ready to establish a business down under?

Guest humpy

I work for a Brisbane based company but live on Gold Coast so i look after there stuff down there, mainly on commercial stuff out here, in hotels and apartment blocks. I still do domestic work but other guys in the company who mainly work around the Brisbane suberbs do that. I worked for British Gas back home so some things are very different now, I also have a lot to do with meters over here, fitting them and working on the mains siide which we didnt do back home. Its interesting work, There is hardly any work on Gold Coast, we have established contracts so rely on that but a lot are struggling, Brisbane is a bit better workwise. Gas has a big future in and around Australia, lots of big projects with gas pipelines but its all working away and I didnt come to Aus to be away from the family

Guest dt1234565
I work for a Brisbane based company but live on Gold Coast so i look after there stuff down there, mainly on commercial stuff out here, in hotels and apartment blocks. I still do domestic work but other guys in the company who mainly work around the Brisbane suberbs do that. I worked for British Gas back home so some things are very different now, I also have a lot to do with meters over here, fitting them and working on the mains siide which we didnt do back home. Its interesting work, There is hardly any work on Gold Coast, we have established contracts so rely on that but a lot are struggling, Brisbane is a bit better workwise. Gas has a big future in and around Australia, lots of big projects with gas pipelines but its all working away and I didnt come to Aus to be away from the family

Thanks Humpy, yes thats what worries me. From the work side that i have looked into it seems his skills just arent in demand, and we would spend more money getting over there and getting him qualified than he would earn!

My husband works long hours here and the last thing i want it to be on the otherside of the world with not even my husband around me! His a work o holic so probably would be fine with it but i wouldnt be happy at all if he wasnt around.

Archived