5 questions about visa 475

garyjames

September 12, 2007

Hi,

As background, I calculate I am only eligible for 110 points under the GSM scheme, so am now looking at other visa options, as an alternative to the visa 175 (one of which is the 475 visa).

I have several questions about visa 475 (which are probably quite easy for people who know about this particular visa). If anyone does knows the answers, please feel free to reply.

1. Is the 1st installment required to be paid before a person has been approached by a state or territory, and / or before a person has actually been nominated for sponsorship by a state or territory? (I am very reluctant to pay any money before a state or territory has agreed to sponsor me).

2. How exactly does the state or territory make itself known to the applicant that they wish to sponsor him or her? And how does the state or territory manage this task? (Is there some kind of full-time person or persons whose sole job is to read through candidates details to see who is most attractive to their state / territory?)

3. On average, how long does it take an individual to win sponsorship from a state or territory (in most cases), prior to making a full application for a 475 visa?

4. Assuming I am granted a 475 visa, can I work in any profession or must I work in my SOL nominated profession? And if I can work in any profession, does it go against me later on when applying for Permanent Residency, if I have not been working in my SOL nominated profession?

5. Is there any clearer website than DIAC's which shows which towns & cities are classed as regional? I find on DIAC's website they list only the postcodes of places which are classed as not regional, which is a good idea, but doesn't really help me find out which towns and cities I could live and work in, under the terms of the visa 475 restrictions.

Kind Regards,

Gary

:)

Guest blondies

We are here on a 457 visa and can't answer any of the questions other than 4. you do have to work in the job you stated or your visa becomes void. We originally sponsored ourselves out here on a 457 to set up a business. My husband was only able to do that business and not work for anyone else or in partnership in any other job than specified. Our situation changed and we are now sponsored on a 457 visa through his new employer. Its pretty restrictive.

I'm not sure if the regional sponsoship works the same

Is there no way you can scrape together the extra 10 points for perm res or even go into the waiting pool. It would be well worth it. If we had known more about he process and this visa earlier we would have stayed in the UK and waited till we got a perm visa. We are now on visa 4 and have been here less than 2 years. Stress! ha ha ha

I don't know why we put ourselves through it.

Good Luck

Donna

September 12, 2007

Hi,

As background, I calculate I am only eligible for 110 points under the GSM scheme, so am now looking at other visa options, as an alternative to the visa 175 (one of which is the 475 visa).

I have several questions about visa 475 (which are probably quite easy for people who know about this particular visa). If anyone does knows the answers, please feel free to reply.

1. Is the 1st installment required to be paid before a person has been approached by a state or territory, and / or before a person has actually been nominated for sponsorship by a state or territory? (I am very reluctant to pay any money before a state or territory has agreed to sponsor me).

2. How exactly does the state or territory make itself known to the applicant that they wish to sponsor him or her? And how does the state or territory manage this task? (Is there some kind of full-time person or persons whose sole job is to read through candidates details to see who is most attractive to their state / territory?)

3. On average, how long does it take an individual to win sponsorship from a state or territory (in most cases), prior to making a full application for a 475 visa?

4. Assuming I am granted a 475 visa, can I work in any profession or must I work in my SOL nominated profession? And if I can work in any profession, does it go against me later on when applying for Permanent Residency, if I have not been working in my SOL nominated profession?

5. Is there any clearer website than DIAC's which shows which towns & cities are classed as regional? I find on DIAC's website they list only the postcodes of places which are classed as not regional, which is a good idea, but doesn't really help me find out which towns and cities I could live and work in, under the terms of the visa 475 restrictions.

Kind Regards,

Gary

:)

HI WHEN WE COUNTED POINT OURSELVES WE DIDNT HAV ENOUGH EITHER [ OR SO WE THOUGHT ] THATS WHY ITS BETTER TO GET ADVICE FROM AGENT AS THEY CAN FIND POINTS YOU DIDNT EVEN KNOW EXCISTED IE IF YOUR O/H ALSO HAS JOB ON SKILLS LIST YOU CAN CLAIM AN EXTRA 10 POINTS. WE WOULDNT BE GOING IF IT WASNT FOR AN AGENT :jiggy:

Gary,

You are welcome to telephone our office in Southampton to discuss how the State Sponsorship process works. I dare say other agents offer a free initial consultation too - it might be worthwhile ringing one or two.

As the order of events, you must have the State Sponsorship at the time you lodge the visa application, and you only pay the Visa Application Charge when your visa application is submitted to the Department of Immigration.

Some of the State and Territory Governments are still finalising their occupations and 475 visa sponsorship procedures (eg WA and SA). Others, such as TAS are ready to roll: I had a 475 visa sponsorship from Hobart on Monday the 3rd.

See here for the TAS website:

Migrating to Tasmania

As to areas where you can live and work on the 475 visa, areas you can't work include Perth, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Sydney, and Melbourne. Where I live (Geelong, 75 kms from Melbourne) is regional, as is the whole of SA, and the whole of TAS. I believe the Sunshine Coast may be regional, but I'd have to check my postcode book to be certain.

Hope this helps for starters.

Archived