Moving to Brisbane, Area Recommendations please

Guest JessandMatt

Guest JessandMatt

Hi Guys

My Fiancee and I (28 and 29) are moving to Brisbane in around 5 weeks and Id like to get some ideas on areas, we know the general area OK but not for living etc, we'll be looking to Rent for arounnd $400 a week close to the city and need excellent transport as im working in the West End and the misses will be taking transport into the city and we'll have 1 car between us to start.

Also how difficult is it to actually Rent first time coming over from the UK with no Oz references etc

Thanks

Jess and Matt

Hi Guys

My Fiancee and I (28 and 29) are moving to Brisbane in around 5 weeks and Id like to get some ideas on areas, we know the general area OK but not for living etc, we'll be looking to Rent for arounnd $400 a week close to the city and need excellent transport as im working in the West End and the misses will be taking transport into the city and we'll have 1 car between us to start.

Also how difficult is it to actually Rent first time coming over from the UK with no Oz references etc

Thanks

Jess and Matt

Search the forums and check the www.ourbrisbane.com website for information on suburbs. As far as providing references etc don't know, we are in the same boat. Think you need 100 points of ID, usually passport and driving licence. Medicare proof and driving licence are something that we plan to sort out when we first arrive hoping that it goes some way to showing that we are good for it, as well as my work contract.

Cheers

For references just bring as much paperwork as you can to submit with your application. Copys of Birth Certs, Driving Licence, old paid utility bills or morgage statement,a letter off your new employer stating your salary if you have already sceured work is also useful. Because you have no rental history here, and if your yet to secure work a copy of a healthy bank statement works well because the agent then knows you have enough funds to pay the rent.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Guest GeorgeD

We lived in West End for a while and loved it (until we got flooded!) Plenty of cafes, restaurants, things to do, and not far from the city at all. You may be able to pick up a rental there for $400 per week.

If you don't fancy living there and will be travelling to West End by public transport, then live anywhere near the stops of this bus service City Glider Basically it does a loop around West End, through the city and out to Teneriffe every 5-15 mins. You buy a Go Card (for use on all public transport) and away you go. It took us five mins on the bus to go to the city and the stop was at the end of our road.

I work in West End and it takes me 30 mins door to door from Holland Park. There is the SE Busway here

So, I park the car at Greenslopes or Holland Park busway (I live closer to Greenslopes busway and it takes me 5 mins by car), the buses to the city pass continually, I stop at Cultural Center (takes around 12 mins to here) and then take the City Glider to west end, which takes around 10 mins.

When I leave home at 7:25, I always arrive at around 8:00, sometimes before.

Have to admit that I could not find many decent houses to rent in Holland Park/Greenslopes. If you want something really really good, you need to fork out minimum $500 a week.

Having said that, I am renting a 3 bed house, with a garage and big garden for $400 a week. Nothing spectacular, but its fine.

When I want to drive to the city on weekends or off peak, it takes me around 10 to 15 mins, which is not bad at all. The pacific highway is close by, which means I can hop to the Gold Coast in 50 minutes or head up north to the Sunshine Coast.

As in every place, there are nice and ugly areas here, so you'd need to drive a bit around to check if the area suits you.

Also wanted to add...there are many other nice areas around Brisbane which will take you to CBD in 30 mins.....

Cheers

B!K3R

Guest JessandMatt
I work in West End and it takes me 30 mins door to door from Holland Park. There is the SE Busway here

So, I park the car at Greenslopes or Holland Park busway (I live closer to Greenslopes busway and it takes me 5 mins by car), the buses to the city pass continually, I stop at Cultural Center (takes around 12 mins to here) and then take the City Glider to west end, which takes around 10 mins.

When I leave home at 7:25, I always arrive at around 8:00, sometimes before.

Have to admit that I could not find many decent houses to rent in Holland Park/Greenslopes. If you want something really really good, you need to fork out minimum $500 a week.

Having said that, I am renting a 3 bed house, with a garage and big garden for $400 a week. Nothing spectacular, but its fine.

When I want to drive to the city on weekends or off peak, it takes me around 10 to 15 mins, which is not bad at all. The pacific highway is close by, which means I can hop to the Gold Coast in 50 minutes or head up north to the Sunshine Coast.

As in every place, there are nice and ugly areas here, so you'd need to drive a bit around to check if the area suits you.

Also wanted to add...there are many other nice areas around Brisbane which will take you to CBD in 30 mins.....

Cheers

B!K3R

B1K3R, you mentioned some good areas with 30 mins to the CBD any ones off the top of your head with decent public transport you can think of ?

Thanks

Jess and Matt

B1K3R, you mentioned some good areas with 30 mins to the CBD any ones off the top of your head with decent public transport you can think of ?

Thanks

Jess and Matt

Well, it's a bit tricky since suburbs with the best transport are those close to a train line or busway, but not all areas are nice. Having said that, there are also express buses from most suburbs, but obviously you wont have these every 5 mins like the trains and busway.

For example, Norman Park, Morningside, Coorparoo on the east all have a train station. Personally, there are ugly and nice areas there. A mate of mine is staying in Camphill and he said it takes him 30 mins by bus from there. Not sure if its an express one though.

Bulimba and surroundings are good they say, but I never commuted from there so don't really know.

Other mates at work are staying in Milton, Toowong and Paddington and another at The Gap. They all say that the commute is 40 mins or less. I personally love The Gap, commute to west end will be around 45 mins. These are all on the other side of the river from West End.

So, Woolloongabba, Greenslopes and Holland Park will all give you a commute less than 30 mins door to door.

$400 a week is not much mate close to the city. But it all depend if you want a 1/2 bed flat very close to the city, or a 3 bed house but nothing really special around 8 to 10k from the city. The more you get out, the better the house you get with $400.

I went mid way, $400 a week, for just an OK 3 bed house with a 30 min commute door to door.

Have a look at http://www.realestate.com.au/rent, you can get a fair idea there of what is available. Here is the translink map http://translink.com.au/travel-information/maps

Busway Map: 090624-busway-large.jpg

Train and Bus Map:

110117_busway-and-train-network.jpg

Cheers

B!K3R

Guest northerngirl87

I'm living just outside of New Farm(expensive area).

Teneriffe/Newstead is pretty reasonable. It's walking distance (30 mins slow walk) to the CBD and short bus ride on the 199 as well.

Would highly recommend!

Archived