A bit bloody scared

Guest mooncat

Guest mooncat

Hi people,

I have had my permanent resident visa for 3 years now but still haven't made the move. I'm a little scared to be honest, although I am ashamed to say :roll: about packing in a really good job, leaving my beautiful flat in Manchester, severing ties with friends and family, not going to Old Trafford to see Man United, not being able to go to the local bars and pubs, missing the hustle and bustle of Manchester etc etc. Also, I am approaching 45 years of age and it is a point in life where the next big move is probably THE biggest.

I would probably head to Perth when/if I leave the UK, or maybe Melbourne, but what I am relly looking for is reassurances about work availability. Also, does age discrimination exist in Oz and if so, to what extent ?

I am single, no kids and have travelled much of the world in my time, but emigration is a different kettle of fish. Love the beach, love beer, love women, love the sun etc, but I also love my home town.

Is there anybody out there who was/is in a similar situation to me?

Cheers cocker

Mooncat

Wake up man!! ,we all love home for one reason or another but think about the best place to retire and live a slower place of life ,we cant wait to leave Manchester behind even though i know i will miss it like hell (even with the bad things),Parts of Oz can give you the hustle and bustle of here and there are many pubs and probably even more eating places than Manchester.If you've had your visa for 3yrs you havnt got forever to make the move have you? i say get the plane booked or as Peter Kay would say Booked it Packed it and F***ed off !! Go and get drunk in the sun watching Man-u on sky,,

Good luck with everything and remember YOU can make that grass greener!!

Cal x

Guest Brendan

I agree with Cal. What's the worst that can happen- you give it a year or two, don't like it and come. Life is not a rehearsal -go on man get over there.

brendan

Ps

There'll be more Man u fans in Brisbane than Manchester anyway.

What sort of work do you do? Melbourne is probably your better bet for a thriving multicultural city. You will get nightlife, beaches and work shouldn't be a problem. Have you thought about renting out your flat and coming over for a year or 2 to give this a go then when your PR expires deciding whether to stay longer? Check out the BritVics website as there are loads of helpful people on there, we are in country Victoria so I can't give you much suburb info.

Give it a go what have you got to lose?

Nicky

Guest mooncat

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Nicky, I am currentlya Quality Engineer/Inspector making aeroplane wings for the Airbus aircraft, my trade is Mechanical Engineering Fitter, and I have a few years experience in sales selling photocopiers and financial services. I have been a bit concerned about getting a job but I suppose Oz wouldn't be encouraging people to go over if they weren't needed.

What is the average cost of, say, a decent second hand camper van? I,m just thinking that travelling round Oz for a while would be a good idea before deciding where to stay. I was thinking of going straight to Perth because of the climate, but as Dazz says I believe it is a little quiet.

Thanks for the info Brendan, but there are more Man United fans in most cities of the world than Manchester mate, we are the religion.

So I hope you all have good luck in what you are doing and thanks for the straight answer Cal, good old Northern attitude, that's another thing I'll miss.

Hubby felt pretty much the same and so we organised the job before coming out here. He works in defence and wanted to know that he had the security of work before moving the family over. There seem to be plenty of mechanical fitter type jobs out there and it might be worth applying before you actually leave to test the water. Obviously if you want to travel first then that would make it more difficult, but you have the advantage of having your visa in place which will help with applications. It may be though that the work is outside of the city which would restrict your social life a bit (although plenty of people here travel into the city for the weekends).

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Nicky

Guest bethandneil

hi

you are one lucky guy!!, do you know how many people would love to have that visa in their mits, get yourself gone, before your drawing that pension and wondering where your life went!!!

Beth.

Guest Beki

Hi Mooncat, Don't be a Pussy, off you go, Chelsea won the league again so Man U aint to be stayin for! Pubs are everywhere, and are open 24 hrs in some parts of Oz. Sell your flat, buy a ticket, pack your bag and GO!

Regards Rich (Beki s ticket)

Been there can't wait to get back :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Adrian

Are you serious!! Get your ticket for gods sake and give it a go. Do you want to wake up in a few years and live to regret a great opportunity?? Rent your flat out and its all good. Life is for living.

We moved over nearly 4 years ago and dont regret it one bit.

As for watching Man U , well thank god Foxtel isnt obbsessed with them like Sky TV in the UK....

Guest ABCDiamond
good old Northern attitude, that's another thing I'll miss.
You'd be surprised how many of us Northeners you'll bump into over here :D

Say to yourself, "I'll give it 2 or 3 years, as a decent working holiday visit, and If I like it I may stay, if not i'll come back"

It is different to the UK, that's for sure.

The pubs aren't the same in most cases and the weather is different ;)

There seems to be more space and the beaches seem a bit better.

Women ? Yes, we have them here too, and they don't spend as much on clothes, cause they don't seem to wear as much :D

But then, that's QLD ;)

It is NOT compulsory to stay, you can go back if you wish. Good luck with deciding.

Guest Philumission

Howdo Mooncat,

Yep, in a similar position. Apprehensive it has to be said. But need to get out of comfort zone !! Quite happy in England, but fancy a new adventure/experience. As most of your reply's have said, can always just come back having done something most people in England only dream of.

Good to hear that there are plenty of Northerners around. As for football, don't reckon Forest will be on live much !!!

Arriving in Brisbane mid june.

Archived