tax file number ?

Guest Working to fish

Guest Working to fish

Hi guys

Can someone help me out here? I've just searched PIO site for last half hour and still can't find the answer i'm looking for.

Can someone tell me if i'm right or wrong - tax file number - I am under the impression that once i have my visa in my hand that i can apply for a tax file number from here in the UK. Is this right or wrong?

Secondly i think you need an address in oz to do this, right or wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

eddie,tina:arghh::arghh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jonseywife

Online tax file number registration system for permanent migrants and individuals visiting Australia - fact sheet

Hi guys

Try the link above - it should tell all !!!!!!!!!

I think I've read you have to be in Oz for 7-10 days before you can apply for TFN, Centre link etc., as they need a few days to process you, from when you enter the country !!! :yes::goofy:

Guest Working to fish

:notworthy:Thank you Laura G and Jonseywife, we'll have a look at these sites you've given us. It does seem you have to be there before you can apply, bummer, hoping it could have been sorted before we got there. But come to think of it my tools will still be on the high seas for a good few weeks while we're there so don't know what i've been worrying about anyway.

Thanks for your replies. I'll just take my time to chill while waiting for the tax file no. and my tools to arrive, i'm sure there'll be other things to worry about.

eddie ,tina

hi there

l wont say that l am absolute 100% sure but l thought l saw some info somewhere that you can apply for a TFN before you enter Australia... although its not activated until you arrive .....other wise you can pay heavily on tax to start with something like 48% .... can't recall my info source at the moment but if l do in near future will direct you there....

Guest jonseywife
I'll just take my time to chill while waiting for the tax file no. and my tools to arrive, i'm sure there'll be other things to worry about.

eddie ,tina

That sounds like an excellent idea to me !!!!!!!!

Mr Jonseywife will be in that same position too, waiting for tools........ so it's a great excuse to have a long holiday and have a good look around before the serious stuff like work starts !!!!!!!! :yes:

Guest carolinejane

Hi

I know you have probably had the answer but thought i would let you know that We had to be here to get tax file number. You have to have an Australian address. We stayed in holiday accommodation so did not apply until we had been here for two weeks and found a rental. We applied online, very quick and simple to do. They said it would take 28 days. OH started a job anyway and within 10 days we had received the tax file numbers. The only thing we got high taxed on was the money in the bank but once we received our Tax file numbers the bank was able to get this back for us.

Good luck

hi there

l wont say that l am absolute 100% sure but l thought l saw some info somewhere that you can apply for a TFN before you enter Australia... although its not activated until you arrive .....other wise you can pay heavily on tax to start with something like 48% .... can't recall my info source at the moment but if l do in near future will direct you there....

You are given time to give your new employer your tax file number before they start to tax you at 47%. It is a good few weeks, so plenty of time to obtain a TFN as it doesn't take that long to get one when you apply.

Hi there,

We applied for our tax file numbers online the day we arrived. This is because we had been to the bank and activated our accounts which made us tax residents of australia and would mean paying 46.5% tax on our interest in our accounts.

Employers give you 28 days to provide your tfn before taxing you at the highest rate.

Our numbers arrived yesterday, 6 working days after application so we went straight to the bank so that our interest is charged at the lowest tax rate.

The application form was dead easy but needs doing once you are in Australia becuase they check your passport number to see if a visa has been validated on it.

Felicity:wubclub:

Archived