Heavy goods license

Guest Perthbound

Guest Perthbound

Hi All.

I am hoping to head out to Adelaide in a couple of months time and wanted to know if anyone has had any issues with there UK driving license over there or what I need to do with it.

It is more for my Class 1 HGV license that I will still be required to have because of my job.

I dont know if I will have to re-sit my test again or not.

Hope not.

Cheers.

Gordy

The U.K car driving licence can be converted to the Australian car driving licence at a small cost in most states if it is done within a few months of arrival in Australia if you are on a PR visa.

Unfortunately the U.K HGV Licence is totally irrelevant in Australia

You will have to re-train from zero I am sure this applies to all states in Australia.

See my post I left earlier today for another member regarding HGV licences in Australia. Whilst you will have to take a test in Australia, if you held a Class One in the UK then you don't have to start off from Zero in Australia which, if was the case, would mean going back to a HR (Heavy Rigid for a year). They will in fact allow you to take a test at the same level you held in the UK which if it was a Class One then you can go direct to a HC test (Heavy Combination). You can also take the test with an accredited school without having to face an examiner if you don't want to. I did all this in 2008 and got my HC licence the same day after 8 hours of training.

Guest Perthbound

Cheers Jonny.

Good helpfull stuff there mate thanks.

Thought I might have to re-set my test :mad:

Thanks again folks,

See my post I left earlier today for another member regarding HGV licences in Australia. Whilst you will have to take a test in Australia, if you held a Class One in the UK then you don't have to start off from Zero in Australia which, if was the case, would mean going back to a HR (Heavy Rigid for a year). They will in fact allow you to take a test at the same level you held in the UK which if it was a Class One then you can go direct to a HC test (Heavy Combination). You can also take the test with an accredited school without having to face an examiner if you don't want to. I did all this in 2008 and got my HC licence the same day after 8 hours of training.

Lucky bugger

In reverse (Aust to UK) I had to start from scratch) even though I held an MC licence in Australia :realmad:

Hope that was helpful for you but just to be clear, you will still have to take a practical HC test to get your licence as well as also passing the theory test. However, for truck licences in Australia you have the option of either going in front of an examiner, just as in the UK, or you can opt for an accredited school who also conduct the test at the end of the training. If you already drive Class One trucks in the UK then you should be good enough for the training school to sign off your training record book after just one days training. You then simply take the signed book back to the state driving authority who will then issue you with a Heavy Vehicle Truck licence. With regard to the theory test, if you take the time to read the books for a few days and do the online practice mock tests, then it is a quite straight forward touch screen multiple choice test. You can usually walk in to the driving authority office to take the test without having to pre book and it costs around $20. If you fail, you can keep retaking the test all day until you pass although you would have to pay the $20 for each attempt. The whole process really is much easier than the UK.

Guest Perthbound
Hope that was helpful for you but just to be clear, you will still have to take a practical HC test to get your licence as well as also passing the theory test. However, for truck licences in Australia you have the option of either going in front of an examiner, just as in the UK, or you can opt for an accredited school who also conduct the test at the end of the training. If you already drive Class One trucks in the UK then you should be good enough for the training school to sign off your training record book after just one days training. You then simply take the signed book back to the state driving authority who will then issue you with a Heavy Vehicle Truck licence. With regard to the theory test, if you take the time to read the books for a few days and do the online practice mock tests, then it is a quite straight forward touch screen multiple choice test. You can usually walk in to the driving authority office to take the test without having to pre book and it costs around $20. If you fail, you can keep retaking the test all day until you pass although you would have to pay the $20 for each attempt. The whole process really is much easier than the UK.

Cheers Jonny.

Yeah its a class 1 I have just now.

I am a HGV mechanic and could do to hang on to it.

Its great I can do it all in one day.

Is driving what you do over there Jonny.

I have always fancied doing a bit of driving over there, Big road train accross the simpson desert or something like that would be good.

• 1 month later...
Guest carldalby

Hi Jonny. I passed my HGV class 1 test at the beginning of June and am wanting to get into Aus on a working holiday visa to start with but will hopefully get sponsored. But how long do I need to hold my class 1 license before I can take the HC test in WA? Cheers

Thanks for your message. If you already hold a UK CE licence then you should be allowed to go straight to an Australian HC test regardless of how long you've held your CE licence. The Australian state driving authorities have a book which they refer to with all the different international driving licences listed. When you show them your UK driving licence with a CE category, this then cross references within their book to allow you to go straight to take a HC test without having to first take a rigid test and wait a year before going to HC , which is the usual process for Australian drivers.

Archived