UK Tax Refund

Guest MissBehaving

Guest MissBehaving

Hi Guys

A few of the removal companies have mentioned that OH and I are able to get a tax refund from HM Revenue and Customs as we are moving to Oz half way through the tax year.

I can't seem to find anything (but it is early and I had a late night last night :SLEEP:) on here.

Does anyone know if it is true and how we go about it?

I presume that we can only do it once we leave the country?

Guest ozinpom

You will not get a refund automatically as it depends on an individuals circumstances. If you have been working all the time up to your departure then you may not get anything as they divide your income by the number of months you have worked, not over the whole year.

Hi Guys

A few of the removal companies have mentioned that OH and I are able to get a tax refund from HM Revenue and Customs as we are moving to Oz half way through the tax year.

I can't seem to find anything (but it is early and I had a late night last night :SLEEP:) on here.

Does anyone know if it is true and how we go about it?

I presume that we can only do it once we leave the country?

When you leave your job, you need to send your copy of the p45 along to your tax office (ask payroll for their contact details).

Include a letter with it stating that you don't intend to work again in the UK in the current tax year and could you please be reimbursed for any overpayment. If you include your bank details they can xfer directly.

Make sure you send it recorded as they can go missing (although the tax office do get another copy anyway, from your employer).

Not sure of waiting times these days (I worked there a long time ago) but I'd imagine 6-8 weeks after receipt should see you get your money back.

Guest MissBehaving
When you leave your job, you need to send your copy of the p45 along to your tax office (ask payroll for their contact details).

Include a letter with it stating that you don't intend to work again in the UK in the current tax year and could you please be reimbursed for any overpayment. If you include your bank details they can xfer directly.

Make sure you send it recorded as they can go missing (although the tax office do get another copy anyway, from your employer).

Not sure of waiting times these days (I worked there a long time ago) but I'd imagine 6-8 weeks after receipt should see you get your money back.

Thanks Paulv

I am not sure if I will get re-imbursed anything as I have a company car and the last tax year I seem to have short paid (again) by £250 - so I would imagine if anything I may owe them something. :no:

My OH on the other hand should see something refunded and hopefully it will be a nice little bonus!

Guest cazbeckham

I and my Oh also filled in a P85 form to say that we were no longer going to be UK tax residents and sent that to the tax office.

If I understand correctly, if you work half the year in the UK, then leave to work abroad, from the date you leave you are no longer a UK resident for tax purposes, therefore your tax free allowances end there and then? So assuming you've worked from the start of the tax year as a PAYE employee, and been taxed correctly, no refund would be due?

Edit - hang on, just seen this on the Revenue & Custome website:

'Split years'

If you either become, or cease to be, resident in the UK during a tax year, you will be able to claim full allowances and reliefs for the year of arrival or departure.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/allow_nonres.htm#b

Which sounds like a refund may be in the offing?!

If I understand correctly, if you work half the year in the UK, then leave to work abroad, from the date you leave you are no longer a UK resident for tax purposes, therefore your tax free allowances end there and then? So assuming you've worked from the start of the tax year as a PAYE employee, and been taxed correctly, no refund would be due?

Edit - hang on, just seen this on the Revenue & Custome website:

'Split years'

If you either become, or cease to be, resident in the UK during a tax year, you will be able to claim full allowances and reliefs for the year of arrival or departure.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/allow_nonres.htm#b

Which sounds like a refund may be in the offing?!

Yeah, it doesn't matter about you moving abroad, the refund is due even if you are in the UK.

Guest MissBehaving
one for the business accountant I think!!! I hate tax......still I'm not alone

Not that we are going to go down this route - but the removal companies are able to assist with this! I guess they get a cut of what you get back... Not sure that I would want them knowing my business though.

so, if this is correct, would it be correct to say,

As a higher rate tax payer, would you likely see a refund since you are paying more monthly to cover this, if you leave before you infact reach the threshold for 40% tax payment?

I filled in the form with my last p45 and got about 500 quid back. It took 6 months for HMRC to cough up but they did in the end. They transferred it to my Uk bank account uhich s to buy things online with so it saves with any money transfers.

Dont forget to get a refund on your TV licence if you pay by Direct Debit as you will normally be in credit. However, the TV Licencing fascists made me send copies of our one way plane tickets to prove we were leaving the country

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spongy42

my oh sent off p60 and p45 and the form p85 and has recieved an email today saying moneys owing have been paid into your bank account

we cant work out how much as its not in our account yet hes got ££ signs in his eyes i just said just expect a £10 anything more a bonus

Guest MissBehaving
my oh sent off p60 and p45 and the form p85 and has recieved an email today saying moneys owing have been paid into your bank account

we cant work out how much as its not in our account yet hes got ££ signs in his eyes i just said just expect a £10 anything more a bonus

Hi Spongy

How long did it take? Did you do it as you left the UK?

Thanks

MB

Guest spongy42

My sister sent the p45,p60and p85 for us in Jan

But the tax office lost sent it to our old address even though we had changed to my sisters as a care of address well we waited and as we hadn't heard and as everything went to pot as I got Ill we forgot about it by may my oh emailed them asking what happened and was he due owt they told him his stuff had been sent to our old address and he needed his p85 to be resent which he did 19th may still waiting to see what funds we have been given does that make sense or am I waffling will check bank later as our uk one Updates about 4am gmt

• 4 weeks later...
Guest spongy42

update on our tax back apparently , we are owed money about £450 ,it was sent via cheque to our uk bank account on the 8th june apparently its lost , the hmrc staff are not bothered in the slightest

for a payment you have to allow 15 working days for it to reach 10 days to be issued and posted and 5 days to reach bank (bank says 10 to send and receive) , its lost it takes 21 days days for hmrc to investigate what went wrong and put a stop to the cheque and yet another 15 working days to re-issue a new cheque before you repeat the whole process again

oh and they are supposed to refer you to complaints but apparently they couldnt be bothered to give us that info as ive had to trawl the net to find that out so theyve lost or p85 lost our cheque told us we were getting a bank transfer laughed at us saying it was a scam until we quoted their reference no's can you not see the steam from me ears im angry :arghh:

i sent the form off before i left the UK and got 500 quid back. It took them over 3 months to cough up the money but they did in the end.

Don't forget to get a refund on your TV Licence if you pay by DD as you usually pay in advance. However, I had to send them copies of our one way tickets to prove we were leaving the country - Fascists!

Archived