One Year working holiday Visa

gebb2k

Ok, I can still apply for a 1 year working holiday visa (age 29) and 30 in October.

I would like to apply for this and leave the UK for Australia in Jan 2012.

I have a few concerns about going on a One Year working holiday Visa. I have to accept I will have to return to the UK after one year - although I will try every trick in the book to stay longer in Oz, however my concerns are about job prospects.

I know the point of a holiday visa, is to allow you to work and travel around Oz. I dont really want to do that. I know I want to work in Melbourne and I want to do a professional job similar to what I do in London.

Will companies even take me on if they know I am on a one year holiday visa? I can only stay in a job no more than six months. Would this put employers off, I am hoping employers after six months would look to sponsor me?

My ultimate intention is to use this as a way to staying in Australia for the foreseeable future and a one year working holiday visa is the only chance I really have of getting my foot in the door.

Your comments are appreciated.

G

Have you looked to see if you qualify for skilled migration? Because if you do qualify then you should be aware that you could shoot yourself in the foot by going on a WHV, because if you don't get work in your occupation you end up failing the recent work experience requirement.

On the other hand you might find work and get sponsored, who knows?

Regarding finding jobs, what is it you do?

Hi I went to Oz on a WHV and ended up staying 18 months as I was lucky enough to get sponsored by a pre-school I worked at. I needed to go back to UK after 18 months but could have got sponsored for longer if I didn't have to return home. So it is possible but it all depends on how in demand your skills are and where you are planning to settle, as well as finding a company who is willing to sponsor you as it is quite expensive for them. They also have to prove that they can not find an Ozzie to do your job so can be potentially quite tricky!

Ah right, thanks for that. I meet a girl from Brighton who had gotten sponsorship to be a doctors receptionist, she made it sound very easy and not much hassle/ cost for her employer.

It sounds like my chances of getting any meaningful work are slim, no company is going to take me on under a WHV considering I cant stay any longer than 6 months in one job. :S

Ah right, thanks for that. I meet a girl from Brighton who had gotten sponsorship to be a doctors receptionist, she made it sound very easy and not much hassle/ cost for her employer.

It sounds like my chances of getting any meaningful work are slim, no company is going to take me on under a WHV considering I cant stay any longer than 6 months in one job. :S

Of course you can get a good job while on a WHV, there are loads of temporary 6 month contract jobs in Sydney, Melbourne and all the big cities. When I was on my WHV a few years ago, one of my friends who is a nurse got a few temp nursing roles, loads of my friends who are accountants got proper accounting jobs in the big firms like Suncorp and KPMG and some were offered to be sponsored so just because your on a WHV doesn't mean you can't get a decent job! I got an admin job in one of the main health insurance companies for 6 months which ok wasn't meaninful but was what I wanted then as i was younger and there to enjoy myself!Look up Hays, Julia Ross, and adecco just to name a few, they are all good recruitment agencies though I got my job through Employ.

Best of luck :cute:

Guest Slainte

Certainly your chances are slightly slimmer of getting a sponsored hob on a WHV than if you were on one of the temp or perm residency visas but if you have confidence in your ability and impress your employer enough, I can't see why they wouldn't want to sponsor you. It is very usual for Australian companies to sponsor talented overseas workers and almost all employers would have no problem doing it if they felt you were worth it.

Archived