Me Going first, Wife and Kids 2 Months Later! Help!

baz6679

Hi I am planning to fly to perth around end of august. Staying with a mate, he recommended me coming first and getting work sorted and have pretty much all I can in place for wife and 2 kids to join me about 8 weeks later. Ha anyone else done this and is there anything in particular you would have changed? Is it better all going together. The biggest issue would be the stress for my wife flying alone with the 2 kids, one aged 9 who is great and the other a baby of 1 year. Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated!:confused:

Guest IlkleyMoorBahtat

This is just my opinion (speaking as a women with two young kids), I would prefer to be involved in the decisions about my new life in Oz rather than turning up later and not being able to have a say in the house etc. I guess you could discuss on the phone or online.

Because our children are both under 4 one thing my husband agreed on was that I wouldn't do the flight alone. As you have one at 9yrs I guess it depends on how helpful they could be with a baby when tired themselves? It's a lot to ask. The logistics of going to the toilet, having something to eat etc with a young one are bad enough when not on a plane!

How does your wife feel about it?

Guest siamsusie
Hi I am planning to fly to perth around end of august. Staying with a mate, he recommended me coming first and getting work sorted and have pretty much all I can in place for wife and 2 kids to join me about 8 weeks later. Ha anyone else done this and is there anything in particular you would have changed? Is it better all going together. The biggest issue would be the stress for my wife flying alone with the 2 kids, one aged 9 who is great and the other a baby of 1 year. Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated!:confused:

Hi Baz,

Personally I would go along with your idea. Nothing better for your wife and children to turn up and you have managed to sort the important issues out first.

If its within your budget, I would go with an airline like Singapore, its a great peaceful hub, the airline staff both in the air and ground are exceptionally helpful and your wife shouldnt have any problems at all.

If its possible I would try and keep hand luggage to a minimum, that I do find stressful, the hold luggage she wont see again until she reaches Perth.

In general fellow travellers are quick to assist, there is always someone to pull the luggage off the belt in Perth.

Wishing you all a very pleasant migration and good luck!

Susie x

I think unless you are staggering your going over in order to keep one income coming in at all times (which I think maybe not in your case?), then go out together.

Start this new chapter in your life as a family.

I flew out just three days before my OH (for reasons I won't bore you with) and I still regret that we didn't make the trip together.

Guest destinationoz

Do it together! This is about you all ... Sharing all the new experiences, excitement, sights, sounds, smells etc etc TOGETHER!!! no question at all for us!!

We'd thought of this, but as it happened my hubby couldn't fly out before me because I was the primary applicant and had to validate first, however, the more we talked about it, the more we wanted to start this chapter together. As we had a PR visa and were allowed extra baggage - we had 6 suitcases, if you too have got extra baggage it'll be more luggage for your wife to contend with (as well as the little ones).

Guest PocketMamma

We did it the other way around - I came out with our then 5 month old daughter in time for xmas with my family. My partner will hopefully be here next week (unexpected lengthy delays with passport, visa) so we've been apart for 5 months now. It was only supposed to be for 2-3 months. It's not been great and if we knew then what we know now we would've done things very differently.

You never know what's around the corner - things could take longer to organise than you planned. Plus you will miss your family terribly and you'll lose the excitment and fun of moving over - it will feel like a chore without having them there to share the moment with you.

I think if you can go together then go together - best of luck!

Thanks for The Kind words and honest opinions people. I think we are going to do it together because as you all pointed out its an adventure together and it's something we should experience together. I think what worries me is the looking to find work bit and felt that was probably the issue why I would have went ahead. Another quick one, we probably will be emigrating with about 12-15,000 dollars to begin with this. Does anyone think this is too little for Perth??

Guest destinationoz

Can't help with the money question but I remember someone on here once said to try and take your equivalent salary per month as you know you survive on that and costs are similar enough over there (some more, some less ...) you just then need to work out how many months you give yourself to get an income... We are going to try and take equivalent monthly salary x 4 months but I really hope I get a job before then !!

On the job front - I think it's better to have your family there for that too - someone to chat to about how good or bad the interview was, what the workplace was like, what they are offering etc ... Afteralll it is your family adventure!!

Good Luck!

Guest lindam

Hi Bazz.

It is really a tough situation to be in, we were there last year so I can appreciate it.

We were not sure what to do when we got our visas. I was working but my hubby wasn't so we were scared for me to stop working and go out with the kida incase my hubby couldn't get work and then we would have nothing to come home too, also the price of the flights.

We eventually made a decision James left Ireland in July and we stayed at home, the kids went back to school in September, we left him get settled before we followed over. we planned initially to follow over in October but in the end it was the end of November before we arrived here in Oz.

It is hard especially for you leaving the family behind and I had my friends and family for support where James went all on his ownsome. Skype kept us going. It was hard but really I think with the kids and everything else it worked for us .

Best of luck

Linda

I'm going 1st, takes the hassle out of running round looking for rentals etc jobs, then theres schools, so if i get a rental 1st, furniture then they come over at least there somewhere to bed down, its likely anyway that after all arrive and settled then moving may be an option,

with me , 2months i should rental sorted and work, furninshed the house, and got a good idea of the area. flying with a baby may be stress, trying to find somewhere to live, get everything sorted, medicare etc will be worse

Guest myboysjam

We have the same predicament at the moment, our visa will hopefully be through within next month or so and we have spoke about my husband going out first to find work incase it takes a while. We have spoke about him going out in September then coming home for Christmas with the whole family then us all going out together at the start of the new year. We are also going to Perth. Good luck.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We were thinking about doing this, i was going to go out first and stop at my mate kevs house in Bracken ridge, this is probably the first he knew about it, but the advantage of this would be to get a house sorted out, the wife and i have the same tastes and arrange a car and everything else as well. Your wife will be ok travelling and i don't think there is a right or wrong way on this. Best of luck.

It really is up to you. I'm heading back to the UK in 3 weeks to pick up my son. It's been a hard 2 months away from him, but it has been easier finding house and car etc. without that extra worry.

His mum follows him out few weeks after he does, so I get to spend some quality time with him in return.

Just go with whatever you're comfortable with.

Archived