CV's / Resume

TraxFM

Hello there

Is there a lot of difference between an English CV and an Aussie Resume? Ive seen sites where they say you need to go into a lot more detail and have a photo on the Aussie one, does anyone know for sure and could give me some advice?

Were looking to get my husband a sponsorship but they all ask for resumes to be uploaded and we dont want to send a load of rubbish!!:laugh:

Thanks for any help

There is really no set format for a CV. A photo is not required in a CV.

The general thinking these days is a CV should be quite short no more than 4 to 6 pages and contain a short career summary paragraph describing what you are in summary, followed by the work history.

Work history should focus on brief summary of role but then focussing on achievements in each role.

Work history only needs to go back about 10 years or so.

Keep the CV short and punchy, containing achievements which you can talk to more at the interview.

The last page shows formal qualifications, and other courses you have done.

Things like hobbies, marital status, date of birth, are not included in CVs these days.

Guest destinationoz

Having just spent AGES doing my CV I totally agree with parLeycross - I was sent an article that someone wrote (I will let you know her name but can't remember just now) all about Tips for writing an Aussy style CV - If you want a copy just PM your email and I'll forward it on .. Good Luck!!

I've always been a believer in a 2 page cv in the UK. Tailored for each job application with enough key points to make them want to get me in and talk about them/answer questions. The feedback I've had from recruitment people here is that "UK cv's always seem quite short". I think they tend to be a bit longer here.

As for a photo, I'd never do that and when I've been recruiting for people, it's never interested me.

Guest famousfive

I would say the most important aspect of a CV is telling the future employer what you will bring to their company.......not what you once did elsewhere.Achievements in your career are important to highlight but the emphasis should well and truely be on the new job.For example I am a manager in the hospitality industry so when I apply for jobs I will say.....'As manager I will'..etc.

I have read some long CVs which really are a waste of paper and don't sell the applicant.Also,I have read some really short CVs that were punchy and full of substance,these people I often hired.

Checkable written references and contact numbers,or email if overseas,are a must.

For many positions, the CV is merely a back up to the response to selection criteria which is really where you sell yourself into the new position. Keep it punchy and focus on the skills and initiatives that you have demonstrated on your work journey and will bring to the new position. They couldnt give a toss if you enjoy handicrafts and bonsai breeding in your spare time (unless you are applying for retail in a handicraft shop or bonsai nursery of course) but they will look at evidence of upskilling/ongoing learning, opportunities for acting in senior positions, projects managed, initiatives achieved etc.

Mine is pretty much chronological with most recent first and the achievements of each position being less and less elaborated the earlier it goes.

Guest Colorana
Having just spent AGES doing my CV I totally agree with parLeycross - I was sent an article that someone wrote (I will let you know her name but can't remember just now) all about Tips for writing an Aussy style CV - If you want a copy just PM your email and I'll forward it on .. Good Luck!!

Hi Destinationoz, Do you mind sharing the article with me too?...I will PM you my email. Many thanks in advance :smile:

Guest joncaz
Hi Destinationoz, Do you mind sharing the article with me too?...I will PM you my email. Many thanks in advance :smile:

Could I be cheeky too and have a look at the article :biggrin:

Guest joncaz
There is really no set format for a CV. A photo is not required in a CV.

The general thinking these days is a CV should be quite short no more than 4 to 6 pages and contain a short career summary paragraph describing what you are in summary, followed by the work history.

Work history should focus on brief summary of role but then focussing on achievements in each role.

Work history only needs to go back about 10 years or so.

Keep the CV short and punchy, containing achievements which you can talk to more at the interview.

The last page shows formal qualifications, and other courses you have done.

Things like hobbies, marital status, date of birth, are not included in CVs these days.

When they ask for a cover letter when applying for jobs what sort of info should be included in there?

Guest destinationoz

[QUOTE=destinationoz;1074554]Having just spent AGES doing my CV I totally agree with parLeycross - I was sent an article that someone wrote (I will let you know her name but can't remember just now) all about Tips for writing an Aussy style CV - If you want a copy just PM your email and I'll forward it on .. Good Luck!!

The article I referred to earlier was written by / credited to:

By: Sandra Maxfield

Lawyer admitted in Victoria, Australia and New York, USA and registered migration agent.

Eureka Migration

UK freephone: 0 800 098 8498

http://www.eurekamigration.com

Guest SarahRSG

Hi! I spent 6 months working in Sydney after being in the UK for most of my working life, I found the format for CV's was much the same (and if you call it CV instead of Resume that seems to be fine too!)

However one big difference is References.

I worked for large companies in the UK (Yahoo! Amazon, lastminute.com etc) and when I changed jobs it seemed that these companies didn't support the provision of phone references - they restricted their staff from providing references, instead they would just send a standard letter from HR stating the dates I was employed, and the roles I held.

In Australia I found most agencies/employers insisted on a phone reference - this was challenging because of the time difference, and the fact that my manager wasn't allowed to provide one. I managed to get around it by providing a reference from my managers personal email - lucky he was prepared to do that though! And then after that you're in the system, and you can get references from your Australian employers.

So with the CV/Resume I'd recommend putting reference details clearly on there.

Has anyone else had this challenge?

I would not list referees in the actual CV. Provide separately when asked.

Generally verbal references are fine, ie a manager can receive a phone call and give verbal feedback.

As you say written references are not generally done these days for legal reasons.

Guest SarahRSG
I would not list referees in the actual CV. Provide separately when asked.

Generally verbal references are fine, ie a manager can receive a phone call and give verbal feedback.

As you say written references are not generally done these days for legal reasons.

True, Id usually list referees but without full contact details to ensure they are appropriately and professionally contacted, I think its important to show on your CV that you've thought of this aspect.

Archived