Anyone used any of the airlines direct - no pet agent?

libbysmum

Hiya was wondering if anybody has had any success in flying their dog by contacting the cargo department of any airlines directly and bypassing any agent.

I know that BA world cargo will not deal with the general public and will only use agents on their behalf, however I was wondering if anybody has managed to do it with any other airline?

Sarah

I think many stipulate agent only shipping to ensure everything is done correctly etc.

I am sure there are a few airlines that don't but I'd check into their ratings on pet shipping etc before using them.

Guest The Pom Queen

Personally I think you would be best using an agent, even if it's just for the paperwork side, it isn't that which is the largest expense but the flight itself. If you were certain that you didn't want to use one, you could check with the airline if they would allow your pet to accompany you on the flight (some use to)

Guest RunnerBean

To be honest, I wouldn't take the risk with our dog, I'd be so worried about whether the airline was any good and whether we'd organised everything properly.

After going through the whole process with our two boys, I really wouldn't consider going it a alone, So many forms and permit etc to deal with as well as you would be responsible for booking quarantine once landing in oz! Not to mention all the other things you need to sort prior to leaving for oz, i would have panicked way too much about our boys had a company not dealt with it for us, We returned to the uk and we were responsible for arranging their flight pick up and permit papers then etc, so complicated!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KerryandCraig

Hi, im also looking at this route, did you manage to do it your self or go with a company in the end? Im emigrating to Brisbane (subject to visa coming through) in Dec/Jan & will be bringing my rottie with me. My brother lives in Sydney so I will stop with him while she is in quarantine so i can visit her & then fly on to Brisbane.

Kerry

• 2 months later...
Guest guest52672

If you go to Qantas freight page, there is a form you can fill in to get a quote on pet shipping. I believe they do independent shipping but they advise you to use an agent. With regard to paperwork etc, so far I have done everything on my own and it is very simple, not complicated at all and it is not as time consuming as you think. Hope that helps.

Guest KerryandCraig

It does thank you! I rang Virgin a while agao & they advised me due to Australia's quarantine & the paperwork involved they only accept pets from agents, I will have a look at Quantas today.

Archived