Buying a Motorbike in NSW (Insurers, Process?)

desreb

Hi folks,

I'm about to buy a motorbike. I've learned a few things possibly worth sharing, and have a few questions.

Firstly - I found the bike on bikesales.com.au. Decent site, seems de-facto standard for buying/selling, and I went to view a Honda Blackbird on Saturday. The guy and bike both seemed to check out OK, the bike felt really good, and I placed a deposit.

First tip is: use that site

Second tip is: check the location. They only go as granular as the state, and AU states are a lot larger than UK counties, of course. They had 27 Blackbirds in NSW, but 12 of those were more than 2 hours' drive.

I was flabbergasted twice by my insurance checks. The first was when I checked 3rd-party insurance rates: Around $120-160 for a 200mph superbike, third party! It would have cost a grand at home, so seemed really cheap.

The second time was when I actually figured out how insurance works, and suddenly it was a lot more expensive. That quote doesn't include 3rd-party liability to people (injuries, deaths) - which is the compulsory green slip (CTP). For that, I had to look at the official site, pretend it was up for renewal, and discover the next renewal would cost me $800 a year, for starters!

Add to that my optional insurance of $160 (third party property/car/etc damage) or $800 (Fully Comp), and yes, it is around a grand a year (£). That's an unmodified bike, no claims, points, etc. I didn't try to use my UK No Claims Bonus - but I tried quotes with and without claiming previous insurance/NCB, and there seemed to be no real difference.

There also seems to be no Third Party Fire & Theft - or at least, it's a less common option than it is in the UK.

They also a few different questions. Previous accidents, licence and years riding, etc. are there, but employment type is not asked for or considered.

You can check the current reg and insurance on the bike on a NSW Gov Site, and pay for a full history check on another official NSW Gov database, price $18. Then you can check for outstanding finance for another $14 on the Revs site.

As for paying: you can use a bank transfer like "Pay anyone", which may be instant if you're both with the same bank, but overnight if not; Westpac have a $10k limit on that. Or you can get a Bankers' Cheque (Draft) in-branch, instantly, for a reasonable fee.

You apparently also need a customer number; this is in advance of an NSW Driving licence, and is a unique reference number for you, for life, that allows you to register a vehicle in your name. I picked one up in an RTA office in half an hour, with proof of ID, address, etc. etc.

Finally - I took the bike for a test ride. I was.. amazed.. that the guy let me take it for a spin without giving him any ID, proof of bike licence, or arranging any insurance (although I guess the Green Slip covers that). The only reference was "You break it, you pay for it. OK?". Good on him!

So - where I could do with some advice is:

- Am I going to have any issues getting insurance on a UK licence? Some of the larger sites state in their initial assumptions that I have an Aussie licence, and I've said "Yes" to get to the quote. Should I be wary of any issues?

- What docs should I ask the seller for (Green slip, Bike reg, I guess)?

- What other steps do I need to take?

Many thanks!

Damo

Guest overrunbycats

Thanks for the info. We're heading over to Melbourne later this year and will be looking to getting some bikes to replace the ones we are selling here. Interesting to know that insurance costs seem to be about the same! Also, my friends in Oz have said bikes are more expensive than here in the UK, in your searches have you found this? I'd be looking for something like a Blackbird as well which a good one might set you back £5-6k here so $9-10k in dollars??

Do you see many bikes out there? We commute by bike and just wondering if that's a done thing in Oz?

Safe biking!

I've been told bikes are a lot more expensive, and my Blackbird is valued at $10-12k by insurers. I'm getting it for less. I suspect Japanese bikes are more reasonable than, say, a Ducati, and I'm buying into winter too.

Oh, commuting... I've only seen a few bikes, more scooters, but I commute from E Suburbs to CBD so they're more scooter territory. Vespas are very popular here, but people around here can afford them

The big downer about bike commuting is that filtering is banned, so you're not really any better off than a car. There's a bike just sat in front of my car right now (in stationery traffic!), with a perfectly good gap and bus lane. I've seen a few bikers filter forward, but it's rare.

Melb seems better for bikes - not at least because apparently they can legally park on the pavement, like people do in Paris! Love that!

Guest Ironduke
Thanks for the info. We're heading over to Melbourne later this year and will be looking to getting some bikes to replace the ones we are selling here. Interesting to know that insurance costs seem to be about the same! Also, my friends in Oz have said bikes are more expensive than here in the UK, in your searches have you found this? I'd be looking for something like a Blackbird as well which a good one might set you back £5-6k here so $9-10k in dollars??

Do you see many bikes out there? We commute by bike and just wondering if that's a done thing in Oz?

Safe biking!

Yes much more expensive when comapring prices using the current exchange rate.

Check out bikepoint.co.au (or google bikepoint) you should see your model and price in there

• 3 months later...

A few months on, and the bike is going well. I've relaxed a bit about driving style - filtering where safe and polite, being less worried about speed and, um, "making progress", as my police instructor called it. I still live in fear of police - I got stopped for a red light violation (I was legally Ok as I was over the line while waiting to turn, but try debating that with NSW police!). Fortunately that argument, possibly in combination with the officer seeing my UK licence, was enough to let me go without the $350 fine. Everyone seems amazed he let me go, which isn't reassuring.

The costs do add up. I received my rego renewal, which co-incides with the CPT renewal. QBE quoted me at $800 for the year. I went on the RTA website and got quotes from all the approved CBT insurers through their service (excellent idea!), the lowest being $700, then called QBE to tell them, and they dropped the price to $500 on the spot! jeez! Talk about a licence to print money. Australia needs some decent price comparison sites pronto (and a populace who gives a +*%#! ;-) ).

So - $800 for comp insurance, $500 for CBT, $200 for rego, and the MOT in another year or two. Expensive hobby!

Actually, on that note, I wonder if it's possible to argue to retain my UK licence even once I get PR? I spoke to an Aussie back from living in the UK, and he said he had successfully argued his case with (Victoria) authorities to retain his UK licence, as he goes over to the UK a lot.

He seemed to think that would protect him from points, although I'm not 100% on that; I've heard that NSW will tally up your points against some identifier, and then hit you with the lot when you get a NSW licence. Not that I want to specifically avoid accumulating points; I just have this unnatural fear that I'm far more likely to get some at some stage, despite 15 years motoring and biking without a blemish in the UK!

Just to let you know on the subject of demerit points and UK licences. If you commit an offence that would usually get you demerit points and let's face it that's everything in Oz you will get the fine and those points get placed on a Oz record. Once you apply for an Oz licence you then also get the points! I was due to get my NSW licence after 6 months but had to fly to NZ for 3 days, the RTA then told me the 6 month wait started again!

I was due to get my NSW licence after 6 months but had to fly to NZ for 3 days, the RTA then told me the 6 month wait started again!

How do you mean mate - you mean going out of the country resets the application period?

I'm in Randwick, Sydney, BTW

Yes, if you leave Australia, even if it's to NZ your 6 month waiting period starts from scratch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not good when some people need a NSW Licence for the work !!!!!

How long have you been over here for then and did you eventually buy the bike?

Archived