Skills assesment missing.

Bibbs

Have some friends who are going through a 175 visa, they haven't got their "skills assesment" and their CO has just asked where this is. They didn't do it as it wasn't on their list of things to be done (they have done the rest inc police and medicals).

They have been told that they need to basically do this and re-apply.

Is there anything they can do?

They have come over to Aus, on a 12 month working visas, and both found jobs.

The 175 is under a "Agricultural Engineer" - he's a diesel fitter.

Based in Perth if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the quick reply. The wife an I came out on a Spouse visa, so it's a million miles away from what we went through.

Guest guest30085

I no very little to be honest but the 175 does state you require a skills assessment prior to lodging

"You must obtain a positive skills assessment before you lodge your application for this visa. This is an evaluation of your qualifications to make sure that you are sufficiently qualified for your nominated occupation."

Im just trying to dig out the relevant assessing authority for his trade - someone else may come up with the answer quicker than me - will have a look

Guest Jed Meyers
I no very little to be honest but the 175 does state you require a skills assessment prior to lodging

"You must obtain a positive skills assessment before you lodge your application for this visa. This is an evaluation of your qualifications to make sure that you are sufficiently qualified for your nominated occupation."

Im just trying to dig out the relevant assessing authority for his trade - someone else may come up with the answer quicker than me - will have a look

AFAIR all engineering trades has to be assessed by Engineers Australia.

Guest guest30085

Previously referred in ASCO as:

2129-13 Engineer - Agricultural Engineer

On this page

Job description

Performs and supervises engineering work related to the use and development of agricultural land, buildings, machines and equipment. Registration or licensing may be required.

Skill level

This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).

If you require further information on this occupation,please refer to the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.

See: Unit Group 2339 - Other Engineering Professionals

Information on the skill level of each occupation is consistent with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) and may differ from the requirements set by the assessing authorities for obtaining a skills assessment. Please contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation to check on their requirements.

Skills assessment authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority. The assessment authority for your occupation is Engineers Australia.

See: Engineers Australia

Licensing or registration requirements

In many occupations you must be registered with or obtain a license from a local authority in the state or territory where you want to practise your occupation. Contact the local authority in your relevant state or territory to enquire about the licensing or registration requirements.

Queensland

The Board of Professional Engineers of Queensland

See: The Board of Professional Engineers of Queensland

Professional associations

You may benefit from becoming a member of a relevant industry association for your occupation. This could help you with your employment prospects, networking, contact with industry and professional development and may provide you with important information and support.

Guest Tony4052

I expect it will be VETASSESS http://www.vetassess.com.au/

Ops sorry, I am a Heavy Diesel mechanic and I had to use Vetassess...

Thanks again.

He has qualifications/skills, just no assesment.

From what I gather they have been told, re-do it and re-start the process. This is almost 12 months down the line, so you can imagine they would rather not.

Guest Jed Meyers
Thanks again.

From what I gather they have been told, re-do it and re-start the process. This is almost 12 months down the line, so you can imagine they would rather not.

That's the price they have to pay for not reading the visa requirements on the DIAC site.

Guest guest30085

Ive attached diesel mechanic also which is assessed through Vetassess - from the sounds of it - they may have to re-send after they have obtained a positive assessment. Maybe an agent would be their best bet to see if theres anything they can do

Diesel Motor Mechanic - 321212

Previously referred in ASCO as:

4211-11 Motor Mechanic

On this page

Job description

Maintains, tests and repairs diesel motors and the mechanical parts of trucks, buses and other heavy vehicles such as transmissions, suspension, steering and brakes. Registration or licensing may be required.

Skill level

This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience in Australia of AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3).

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

If you require further information on this occupation, please refer to the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.

See: Unit Group 3212 - Motor Mechanics

Information on the skill level of each occupation is consistent with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) and may differ from the requirements set by the assessing authorities for obtaining a skills assessment. Please contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation to check on their requirements.

Skills assessment authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority.

There is a different assessing authority depending on your country of residence.

If your country of residence is India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, the Philippines or the United Kingdom, the assessment authority for your occupation is Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services (VETASSESS).

See: VETASSESS

If your country of residence is any other country, the assessment authority for your occupation is Trades Recognition Australia.

See: Trades Recognition Australia

Licensing or registration requirements

In many occupations you must be registered with or obtain a license from a local authority in the state or territory where you want to practise your occupation. Contact the local authority in your relevant state or territory to enquire about the licensing or registration requirements.

Professional associations

You may benefit from becoming a member of a relevant industry association for your occupation. This could help you with your employment prospects, networking, contact with industry and professional development and may provide you with important information and support.

Guest Jed Meyers
Ive attached diesel mechanic also which is assessed through Vetassess - from the sounds of it - they may have to re-send after they have obtained a positive assessment. Maybe an agent would be their best bet to see if theres anything they can do

There is nothing the agent can do except return the money, because it is clearly stated that "You must obtain a positive skills assessment for your nominated occupation before you lodge your application for this visa."

Guest Jed Meyers

One more question: why did they apply for an overseas 175 visa when they were in Australia?

Guest guest30085
One more question: why did they apply for an overseas 175 visa when they were in Australia?

Did they apply here and then went over on WHV during the wait?

Guest guest30085
There is nothing the agent can do except return the money, because it is clearly stated that "You must obtain a positive skills assessment for your nominated occupation before you lodge your application for this visa."

Sorry I meant about their current circumstances/jobs - if they coud go for a 457 etc

Did they apply here and then went over on WHV during the wait?

Bingo. They applied in the UK and then came over (on working visas) to start their life in Aus.

Everything was going well till this bump. So I thought I'd at least ask and see what they might be able to do.

Guest guest30085
Bingo. They applied in the UK and then came over (on working visas) to start their life in Aus.

Everything was going well till this bump. So I thought I'd at least ask and see what they might be able to do.

Well it doesnt seem a great outlook for the 175 but agents would have far more experience than most of us on here or may suggest other alternatives such as employer sponsorship etc. I wish them luck

That's the price they have to pay for not reading the visa requirements on the DIAC site.

Yup, what's done is done unfortunatly. Just trying to work out the best cause of action from where they are now.

Guest guest30085

just seen your next post - 457 is temporary employer sponsored. If they eventually wanted to go for permanent employer sponsored - then they would still need the assessment by Engineers Australia

just seen your next post - 457 is temporary employer sponsored. If they eventually wanted to go for permanent employer sponsored - then they would still need the assessment by Engineers Australia

I'll let them know to look into this. Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. At least give us somewhere to start looking.

Have some friends who are going through a 175 visa, they haven't got their "skills assesment" and their CO has just asked where this is. They didn't do it as it wasn't on their list of things to be done (they have done the rest inc police and medicals).

They have been told that they need to basically do this and re-apply.

Is there anything they can do?

The might be a workaround. Advise them to send me an email.

Thanks again.

They have no choice. Skills assessment is one of the most basic requirements for skilled migration, I do not even know how they managed to fill in an application form / online form and not realise this is required. I am almost positive it was one of the very first questions.

They need to start over and pay a new fee unfortunately.

Archived