Breaking lease

Guest ladyk2011

Guest ladyk2011

We've decided to call it a day and head back.

We have a 12 month lease on a house (pricey $1250/week, 3 bed house) in Sydney which is up in October. Planning on leaving in June our intention is not to pay the last month's rent and let them use the deposit for that. Obviously cash is tight.

There's no probs with the conditon of the property, and it'll certainly be cleaner than when we moved in... Does anyone have any experience of this? We don't plan on returning to Oz.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Guest ladyk2011

Well, they'll notice when we don't pay May's rent. So was going to inform at that time, basically at the same time that OH hands in his notice.

Well, they'll notice when we don't pay May's rent. So was going to inform at that time, basically at the same time that OH hands in his notice.

But paying that amount of rent surely you would have a bond about $5000

Tell them you have to go back because of family health, and if it is an issue you will go to the RTA and ask a court to decide. I think they would back down.

Guest chris955

I would be inclined to speak to the landlord about it, depending on how easy it will be to get someone else in there may not be an issue with breaking the lease early. landlords are all different of course and it depends what yours is like. Rather than lose your bond it might be worth doing it the right way.

Guest ladyk2011
I would be inclined to speak to the landlord about it, depending on how easy it will be to get someone else in there may not be an issue with breaking the lease early. landlords are all different of course and it depends what yours is like. Rather than lose your bond it might be worth doing it the right way.

We're dealing with property agents rather than directly with a landlord. They seem to be pretty 'by the book', but obviously they are employed by the landlord and will continue to have an ongoing relationship with them. They have fixed everything promptly with the exception of a dishwasher which wasn't working for 6 weeks this year (made me slightly bitter). Our bond is $5k, so we would send them the difference in May and move out a couple of weeks after. Bottom line is that I don't want the hassle of chasing up $ from overseas.

Guest Mallam

These comapnies make so much money by overinflated rents that i would not have a problem in just going....stuff em.

Archived