Been here for 3 weeks now

warren&liz

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let you know we have arrived.

Landed 3 weeks ago at 1 am. We flew with Emirates who we found to be very good. There were plenty of films to watch and games for the kids to play. The food was fine.

Got through customs very quickly. Declared a bag of Jelly babies to one of the female officers. She glared at us but then said it was only candy and we were to proceed.

We were met by our friend who took us straight home to their house for a well needed cup of tea. Went to bed and got up at 8 am in the morning. We really haven't suffered from jet lag at all thankfully.

On the Sunday my cousin came up from Fremantle and we had a barbie. Just getting the lingo right. Monday went and applied for medicare, and driving licenses. No problem there. Next day applied for TFN (Warrens arrived in 5 days I still haven't got mine) and on Wednesday got bank account activated.

By the way we didn't bother to get a label in our visa. We have had no problems at all. Took a copy of our visa grant letter with us but have never had to show it.

Have been to Freo to the markets and beach. Just loved the market. Kids enjoyed the street performers. Beach was nice. Lovely to chill out for a while.

On the following Monday Warren went on to Seek.com to look for a job. He sent his resume to 18 wanted ads. The phone was ringing and emails coming back within 35 minutes. 16 wanted to interview him. Only 2 said he wasn't what they wanted. Next day he went to 6 interviews that he thought would be suitable. Warren was offered jobs with them all. He has taken a job and starts this Wednesday. Gets a phone, laptop and Jeep as well as a good wage. He is a mechanic.

Then thought we would need to look for a house, can't outstay our welcome, have to say our friends have been wonderful. We are in the Perth Hills at the minute. Spent all last week looking at houses, some of the cheaper ones were just horrid. Found a nice one in Lesmurdie applied for it but didn't get it. Real Estate agent said she couldn't believe it as she had told owners she thought we would be good tenants. They had more references than us and had rented in Oz before. Next day went to view another house and applied for that. Yes, we got it. 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 lounges and pool. Signed yesterday and get the keys next Friday.:biggrin:

Went to Osbourne Park (where Ikea is) yesterday to purchase a fridge. Got a real good bargain in Good Guys there. Fridge was $999 on special. Looked around other shops before we bought it. It was $1699 everywhere else. Also bought steam mop. It was $118 (another sale price) in Harvey Norman we told Good Guys and they gave it to us for $115. Reckon we did all right.

Our friends are going to help us out with some things to keep us going until our furniture comes and we should be able to get anything else in Ikea and Red Dot stores.

Now we have a permanent address we need to get kids enroled for school. Can't do that until holidays are over. Kids are getting a bit bored now not having their own friends. Will be good for them to get into a normal routine again.

Anyway, sorry to have rambled on for so long. Hope it helps someone.

Liz x

Hi Liz,

What a lovely post...you seem to be settling real well..well done. Getting all the mundane, but necessary things, out of the way is always good!

Well done to Warren with the jobs!!! That is really excellent response as most poeple complain about not getting replies for ages...so excellent Well Done.

Once the kids are back at school and making friends it will be much better but until then enjoy the holidays and have fun.

All the best for the coming months.

Sue xx

Guest boyllba

I really liked your post, my oh is a service manager (mechanic) and we are waiting for our very own CO at the mo. Your information has really put me at ease as you seem to have settled in so well. We don't know anyone in perth or WA but are willing to take the leap of faith and the big adventure of it all, but having friends to stay with seems to have been a great help for you. I'll look forward to hearing soon about your next few weeks and your experience of moving into your new rental.

All the best, Lorraine.

Guest Markh

Enjoyed reading your reccie, Hope all us back in Northern Ireland want out to oz have as good a time as you sound to be.

Good luck and best wishes

Archived