South Africans with Oz Citizenship

Ikes

Guest VickyMel

Hi Ikes

From what I understand you do need to apply to keep it, I think there was a time when it was very hard to.

You could also check out this web site http://www.saaustralia.org/

Which is a forum of South Africans migrating to Oz and ones already there I am sure you could get some really good up to date advice - and most importantly recommendations on how to approach it cos from comments from a few friends the officials may not always follow the rules and may just tell you no.

One friend had to write a load of stuff explaining why RSA should want to allow them to allow her to retain her citizenship - she mentioned it was a little bit easier these days due to the dire skills shortage. (NB she actually avoided taking Oz citizenship until South Africa had agreed her retaining the RSA citizenship).

Always best to get the facts and know exactly what to do before starting with RSA officialdom!

Good luck

Vicky

Thanks to you all for your very informative and helpful responses. I had never given it a thought, but OH just suddenly brought it up, I suppose just to have all his options open. As every single member of his family are still in South Africa, I suppose he should pursue that line. Thanks so much, he'll look into it further now.

Archived